House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikhail Liebenstein

Is the Mail engaged in Brexit rationing cover up?

Floods my @rse, there was worse damage in 2013 from floods - this is more down to devaluation and price negotiations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4185686/No-three-lettuces-customer.html

This may become a common picture on UK supermarket shelves in the next few years.

The Government did actually issue petrol ratio books in the 1970s, but if people who told me about this are correct, they weren't actually needed then. Who knows, Brexit might achieve what the oil crisis couldn't.

"Black market ration coupons anyone?"

:ph34r::lol:

This is ridiculous. Brexit is now going to make us starve. What next ?

On 03/02/2017 at 8:34 AM, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Floods my @rse, there was worse damage in 2013 from floods - this is more down to devaluation and price negotiations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4185686/No-three-lettuces-customer.html

This may become a common picture on UK supermarket shelves in the next few years.

The Government did actually issue petrol ratio books in the 1970s, but if people who told me about this are correct, they weren't actually needed then. Who knows, Brexit might achieve what the oil crisis couldn't.

"Black market ration coupons anyone?"

There were ration books issued, I had one but never needed to use it.  They were originally printed for the Suez crisis but never issued at the time.  They looked antiquated in the 1970's, a real piece of history.

As a footnote I could buy a gallon of petrol for 30 pence before the 1970's oil crisis; that rapidly doubled in a very short period of time.

Edited by dougless

Why would anyone shopping in a supermarket want 3 lettuces anyway when the things rot in a few days and have little real use other than garnish.

As for petrol rationing books in the 1970s  I remember my dad having them but saying as he worked for local government he could have as many books as he wanted.

The EU is doomed to failure anyway as it is only Germany who can finance it and Germanys days as an economic powerhouse are numbered simply because it will be dragged down to the lowest common denominator within the EU anyway.

Before we entered the EU the UK was awash with market gardeners and greenhouses producing perishable produce like lettuce and tomatoes for local consumption. Spains production and export of produce to the UK as about as unsustainable as it gets with the semi-arid areas favoured in the east of spain seeing water tables drop over 200 feet since the 1960s. The river Almanzora is a victim of this and is now a stinking trickle that only fills when there are flash floods.

6 hours ago, dougless said:

There were ration books issued, I had one but never needed to use it.  They were originally printed for the Suez crisis but never issued at the time.  They looked antiquated in the 1970's, a real piece of history.

As a footnote I could buy a gallon of petrol for 30 pence before the 1970's oil crisis; that rapidly doubled in a very short period of time.

Goes to show quite how much inflation we have had for basics.

That said, i only really remember 1980s prices, but certainly technology cost far a more then - I recall my parents getting a 2 speed VCR with SP and LP recording, and it was almost £800.

I did check my recollection and it was right as I found this old boots catalogue with one for over £500. That sort of money is equivalent to Thousands now.

://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/19/price-christmas-past-boots-catalogue

Of course we can buy a BluRay player for £50, but then people are paying £1000 per year for Sky.

On 03/02/2017 at 8:52 AM, ccc said:

If only we had land on which we could grow our own food.

6 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

You do this already ! :)

27 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

The problem is people drifted off to eat foreign foodstuffs instead of the locally produced english staples of wheat, potatoes, oats, carrots, turnips, cabbages balanced with eggs, cheese, pork, lamb/hoggar/mutton, beef and the occasional chicken.

We have loads of land to produce these in our precipitation blessed isles.

p.s. There is no shortage of organic horse meat roaming around our gentrified rural landscape if times take a turn for the worse post brexit.

On 2/3/2017 at 8:52 AM, ccc said:

I'm amazed no-one noticed the environmental destruction and subsequent climate changes. I can clearly remember days were getting longer, sunnier, warmer and generally nicer in the days leading to the referendum, hitting 25 degrees C and over 15 hours of sunlight on the eve on the vote. Look what has happened since then. It took it a mere half a year to revert us to a sub-freezing rainy darkness that takes up a good 2/3rd of each day.

9 minutes ago, kibuc said:

I'm amazed no-one noticed the environmental destruction and subsequent climate changes. I can clearly remember days were getting longer, sunnier, warmer and generally nicer in the days leading to the referendum, hitting 25 degrees C and over 15 hours of sunlight on the eve on the vote. Look what has happened since then. It took it a mere half a year to revert us to a sub-freezing rainy darkness that takes up a good 2/3rd of each day.

Agreed - were doomed !!

Although spinach is now back on the shelves so I'm happy once more.