House Price Crash Forum

No new Dr Who thread?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
HOLA442

Who might have guessed that The Guardian would come up with this

Who’s got what it takes? Aziz Ansari, Olivia Colman and Richard Ayoade.

Doctor Who: our casting wishlist for the BBC

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/31/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-casting-wishlist-bbc

.. and this

Doctor Who: why the new Time Lord can and must be a woman

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/31/doctor-who-new-time-lord-woman-peter-capaldi

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

On that first Guardian story someone suggested Danny Dyer. I'm not sure whether that was in jest, or if the up-votes were in jest.

But (and I might be alone in this) I think he's a decent actor - he plays that "startled look" ('everyone around me is insane') really well, not sure if he could carry the part, but certainly an oddball idea.

Capaldi had real potential but the scripts and stories were so very bad that by comparison Colin Baker, the actor that was somewhat unfairly derided for his portrayal not least because he also had mostly awful stories, had a lot to work with.

The show is reliving that struggle it endured towards the end of the Sylvester McCoy era when it ended back in the early 1990s: "Who is this programme for?" and if the stories and scripts don't improve, I can see it going the same way in the end.

HOLA447
26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well I'll chuck in David Morrissey.  Superb in Blackpool and has already played "The Doctor" once in a Cyberman episode.

article-1086306-027A8751000005DC-494_468

And from Blackpool one of the best bits, with David Tennant featuring:

Morrissey is a talented actor. Really good in "The Walking Dead" season 3 and the series "Blackpool" was excellent.

There is precedent: Colin Baker appeared in the show as Commander Maxill (IIRC), a Gallifreyan military officer, when Peter Davison was The Doctor. "Arc of Infinity" if memory serves, a decent story.

Ah, memory does serve. He's on the right:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I gave up on it a couple of seasons ago. Apart from issues with poor scripts and rampant PC box ticking, I got too exasperated by the bloody sonic screwdriver being like an Adam West era Batman utility belt, and getting the Dr out of way too many massive plot holes.

The current show seems to primarily be aimed at 12 year old boys who'll want all the merchandising at Xmas? It ain't grown up sci fi, that's for sure.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
36 minutes ago, newbonic said:

I gave up on it a couple of seasons ago. Apart from issues with poor scripts and rampant PC box ticking, I got too exasperated by the bloody sonic screwdriver being like an Adam West era Batman utility belt, and getting the Dr out of way too many massive plot holes.

The current show seems to primarily be aimed at 12 year old boys who'll want all the merchandising at Xmas? It ain't grown up sci fi, that's for sure.

+1

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
10 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I think they will offer Tennant a huge bag of money to return and he will say yes.

My kids (7 and 10), who don't watch live TV but use streaming services almost exclusively, consider Tenant to be the only Doctor Who and just turn it off and select a different episode, if they call up an episode with any of the others.

HOLA4417
5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

My kids (7 and 10), who don't watch live TV but use streaming services almost exclusively, consider Tenant to be the only Doctor Who and just turn it off and select a different episode, if they call up an episode with any of the others.

When you are about ten, that feels like half a lifetime. I used to feel the same about Tom Baker and got all nostalgic for Jon Pertwee even though it was only a couple of years or so before. Forty years later Tom Baker still feels like the new upstart.

HOLA4418
14 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

When you are about ten, that feels like half a lifetime. I used to feel the same about Tom Baker and got all nostalgic for Jon Pertwee even though it was only a couple of years or so before. Forty years later Tom Baker still feels like the new upstart.

One of them wasn't quite born yet at the time Tenant stepped down in 2009, and the other certainly never watched it back then. I think it has more to do with merchandising, and Tenant's stuff just sold (and probably still does) much better than anyone else, because the show was actually quite good then.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I'm so happy that Capaldi is leaving, he's terrible as the doctor. Every other modern regeneration I was sure I'd hate the new doctor but loved them within an episode or two. I've really been trying to like Capaldi but I still can't stand him two full series in. I'm pretty sure that Billy's going to do my head in too, but then I thought that about Katherine Tate and ended up liking her. 

Hopefully the new show runner will sort things out - better script, better doctor. I hope they're not going to pick someone just to make some sort of politically correct statement - I'm worried they're going to pick someone female or non-white because they think they should rather than the actor being the right pick for the role. Saying that, I hope they don't pick a woman - Missy was great but she didn't feel like The Master so I doubt a female doctor would work.

HOLA4422

Archived