House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So does anyone else have to work at a place where you are supposed to drape a daft ID card with an even dafter company printed lanyard logo thing everywhere they go?

Do you follow the rules or just snap off the holder and keep a tight relationship with security that means you don't have to look like a tit?

Or do you think the whole ID card/lanyard that costs less than a quid is a good addition to your expensive suit?

As you may have figured, I think they are horrendous and avoid them at all costs, so much so I've looked up what the phobia of wearing things around the neck is in case some security idiot has the balls report me for repeatedly just having the card in my pocket and using it as and when I need clearance.

You's?

I won't wear my corporate label.  However, I need it to get my stuff out of the networked printer so I carry it around in my hand, corporate lanyard wrapped around it. 

I keep mine in my pocket, and just use it to swipe into the building etc.  never been challenged.  I do think they look a bit daft, but mainly keep it on a pocket because it could easily fall off (especially if it is one of those clip on one's)

Wear it all the time, I need it to get through doors and use the printers.  I see it as a surrogate tie.

I don't require it as ID though it would serve as that if required.

I used to work in a place that was locked down tight and needed the stupid worker drone lanyard/swipe card combo to access the building.  However the staff lounge was at the back of the building and had an emergency exit door with a simple bar opener. The first bod in would open said door and the rest of us would pile in through there.

security were not too pleased but eventually left us to it 

i knew from the first set of replies HPC OT would be non-compliant on this daft issue too lol.

If I followed the rest of the sheep I'd be wearing my staff access card around my neck attached to my lanyard around my neck with my locker keys.  Fortunately I don't and get on enough with everyone that I'm never challenged by having my ID card in my pocket and well... my lanyard is non existant :)

I seriously don't get them as being a company image though, what are people thinking?  I also think it's very crude for anyone to have their name displayed on a card around their neck, even so on a badge in a supermarket.  Can someone explain what purpose this serves other than some pervert trying it on?:mellow:

If you work in a place that requires ID, but keep it hidden, and have never been challenged (by security or other staff) then the company's security is in dire need of overhaul.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Wear it all the time, I need it to get through doors and use the printers.  I see it as a surrogate tie.

If you were to snap it off and use it as a swipe when required carrying in hand what would the likely view be from colleagues that you are no longer wearing it?

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

If you work in a place that requires ID, but keep it hidden, and have never been challenged (by security or other staff) then the company's security is in dire need of overhaul.

No, I know them all on a personal(ish) level.  It does however make me royalty :)

That also goes for other staff.

Just now, dgul said:

There is requiring and requiring though.  If we worked in a prison, yes I guess it is required. An office or educational establishment not so much.

in my tfh conspiraloon moments, I view it in a very 1984 dystopian manner. :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I used to work in a place that was locked down tight and needed the stupid worker drone lanyard/swipe card combo to access the building.  However the staff lounge was at the back of the building and had an emergency exit door with a simple bar opener. The first bod in would open said door and the rest of us would pile in through there.

security were not too pleased but eventually left us to it 

I worked in a place where the 2nd security lodge was only manned during rush hours and it and the gate were locked down other times.  But the key-code for the lodge itself was one of the factory setting for that make of locks*, and you could just tap in the code and walk through.  Security is often dumb like that.

[eg for one of these:

L12832-500x500.jpg

either C 2 and 4, then 3 or C 5 and 1, then 2 and 4 then 3]

1 minute ago, One-percent said:

Ooohh in what way?  Can I have a special lanyard too?

The usual who you know.... cheques accepted!

I needed one for the doors.

Company was so paranoud about us getting poached we were forbidden to have it on display outside the carpark.

Took swipe card out and shoved in wallet. Lanyard make me feel a dork.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is a  bit alien to me, as I've never worked anywhere that required them. I can see why they might be used for access, and maybe ID, but printers?!? What's that about? Assuming everyone there has them (?),  so who can't use a printer, and why?? 

1 minute ago, uptherebels said:

This is a  bit alien to me, as I've never worked anywhere that required them. I can see why they might be used for access, and maybe ID, but printers?!? What's that about? Assuming everyone there has them (?),  so who can't use a printer, and why?? 

Usually means a managed printer service -- so they can keep track of who's printing too much...

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Lanyard make me feel a dork.

The number of people I see on the tube wearing their company lanyard.  Yup, you must be really proud of where you work thinks I.  Only problem is the eyesight isn't good enough to read who they actually work for, without looking pervy.  :huh:   

Jesus.

I thought I worked in Colditz simply because they make us clock-in and out.

But compared to some of you lot, I seem to be in an open-prison, with regular conjugal visits - and plenty of time-off for good behaviour..!

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

5 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I needed one for the doors.

Company was so paranoud about us getting poached we were forbidden to have it on display outside the carpark.

Took swipe card out and shoved in wallet. Lanyard make me feel a dork.

When I started in the world of work it was similar, but the excuse given was that if you had it on display outside of work you might get kidnapped/shot.  I don't think anyone ever did, but it instilled a sort of discipline.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

When I started in the world of work it was similar, but the excuse given was that if you had it on display outside of work you might get kidnapped/shot.  I don't think anyone ever did, but it instilled a sort of discipline.

MI5 or 6?  You clearly can't be just an office paper shuffler. :huh:

3 minutes ago, One-percent said:

MI5 or 6?  You clearly can't be just an office paper shuffler. :huh:

I worked for a company that did guided missiles during gulf wars etc.

They worried wed get blown up by muzzas.

Then, when everyone wanted missiles, they worried wed be poached. They did not bump up the salary, so all the sw bodies legged it.

8 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Jesus.

I thought I worked in Colditz simply because they make us clock-in and out.

But compared to some of you lot, I seem to be in an open-prison, with regular conjugal visits - and plenty of time-off for good behaviour..!

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Colditz with badly thought out security.

We have levels area limits which we could go to.

You could get stuck in a corridor.

12 minutes ago, One-percent said:

The number of people I see on the tube wearing their company lanyard.  Yup, you must be really proud of where you work thinks I.  Only problem is the eyesight isn't good enough to read who they actually work for, without looking pervy.  :huh:   

Id wear it if it was a t1ttybar.

Less so for a backend trading company.