House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

First World Problems - Frozen Blueberries

I like having blueberries with my oats for breakfast. Fresh blueberries are expensive and go off quickly, so I just buy the frozen ones from Tesco; big batch of them once a month as part of an online shop.

Until now, since Tesco's website tells me they don't do frozen blueberries any more.

Anyone have any recommendation for where I can get blueberries now that don't break the bank? Sainsburys seem to have frozen ones but the reviews are a bit hit and miss. I see you can also buy dried blueberries on amazon ect..but not sure if dried ones would taste as good or be as good for you as something that's been freshly frozen.

I buy frozen blueberries to eat with my breakfast oats, too. Recently, Tesco reduced the size of their packs from 400 to 350g. As their blueberries are good, sweet and reliably so I swallowed the increase. Waitrose does the same if you buy two packs the price is £4, but at 400g size for the same price as Tesco's 350g. Similarly good.

Sainsbury's I bought recently. They were also 400g for the same price but some were unripe and tasted sour.

So I stick to Waitrose buying enough to last a month as I only shop there once a month, as their online ordering requires you to spend £60. 

3 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I buy frozen blueberries to eat with my breakfast oats, too. Recently, Tesco reduced the size of their packs from 400 to 350g. As their blueberries are good, sweet and reliably so I swallowed the increase. Waitrose does the same if you buy two packs the price is £4, but at 400g size for the same price as Tesco's 350g. Similarly good.

Sainsbury's I bought recently. They were also 400g for the same price but some were unripe and tasted sour.

So I stick to Waitrose buying enough to last a month as I only shop there once a month, as their online ordering requires you to spend £60. 

Thanks for the info, seems that your experience of Sainsbury's matches the reviews online.

Just checked out Waitrose but they don't deliver to Northern Ireland. The search continues!

35 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I meant Farmfoods - about a quid for 450g. Often 3 packs for £2.

Farmfoods near me doesn't do frozen blueberries but does have 3 for £3 on the summer fruits. £3 for about 1.2kg isn't bad.

As Sarah says, or failing that ALDI. I too like my frozen blubes of a morning.

ALDI used to do boxes of frozen mango and pineapple for circa £1 each but it has now morphed into a bagged 'smoothie mix' and been accompanied by a substantial price hike. They still do blueberries, raspberries and a couple of types of berry mixes in boxes.

After about 7 years my blueberry plant is still struggling . Now rely on red currents, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and apples to see me through 9 months of the year.

Btw, breakfast is one Aldi weeterbix and a handful of oats.

Joe, I seem to remember that you live in Ireland. Do you have such a thing as bilberries on the moors and heaths?  They look like small blueberries but taste completely different. Pick in august and freeze for a year round supply 

I recently discovered ambrosia rice pudding. My Mum made her own when I was a kid and also refused buying a tin of ambrosia when I was out with her. It dawned on me back before Christmas that I had not eaten rice pudding in years, apart from the lovely but very expensive M&S one, so I bought a tin of ambrosia and now eat it all the time.

Lidl's do a very good one - bigger tin for less money and I am told that Aldi's is the best.

Anyhow, some frozen blueberries in rice pudding, add some milk and stick in a microwave oven for a minute is fab. I did it for 2 minutes the first time and ended up with blueberry rice pudding all over the inside of the microwave.

18 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Joe, I seem to remember that you live in Ireland. Do you have such a thing as bilberries on the moors and heaths?  They look like small blueberries but taste completely different. Pick in august and freeze for a year round supply 

I don't think he can wait that long. :D

Yep, they are all over the British Isles.

I reckon having some form of dark berry everday isn't a bad idea, supposed to be a cancer fighting superfood. I probably picked a year's supply of blackberries last year and I am hoping the freezer will see us through until the summer crop come on stream in July.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I don't think he can wait that long. :D

Yep, they are all over the British Isles.

Worth the wait though   I lost my last years crop when the freezer went off. Most disappointing 

2 hours ago, One-percent said:

Picking your own fresh berries would be the healthiest option, but I have to admit I can't be bothered! Wouldn't feel safe eating berries that had been picked in any sort of 'wild' environment either.

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Picking your own fresh berries would be the healthiest option, but I have to admit I can't be bothered! Wouldn't feel safe eating berries that had been picked in any sort of 'wild' environment either.

They do take a lot of picking but bilberries can't be mistaken for anything poisonous so you should be safe with them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilberry

4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Thanks for the info, seems that your experience of Sainsbury's matches the reviews online.

Just checked out Waitrose but they don't deliver to Northern Ireland. The search continues!

Good luck!  Perhaps it's a problem for N. I.  Isle of Wight is similar. 

Asda - it was virtually the only thing I could find in there worth buying, when I went in one the other day, amongst the mountains of unhealthy cack and books about serial killers their normal demographic presumably craves.

Edit to add: The Essential range Waitrose ones are poor, in fact, all Waitrose Essential stuff is terrible.