House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

64 Bit Firefox

I didn't realise that Mozilla has had a 64-bit version of Firefox out for some months. My web browsing on here, via Firefox 32-bit, had become painfully slow and the latest update made it impossible for me to stream YouTube vids without Firefox hanging every few seconds.

Did some research online and they have a 64-bit version out. Last time I checked for this they were saying that they were not doing one. So far so good - things are fast again.

I used to run the "nightly" experimental 64 bit build as a trial. There's no excuse for 32 bit only code now! This old netbook is a strictly 32 bit machine, so when it breaks it's landfill.:huh:

I've been using that crappy Edge browser. Crashes all the time and so many things that should require one click need to be clicked twice to get it to respond. Lots of settings missing. Basically useless.

I keep meaning to try to get rid of it and resurrect IE11. Will do tomorrow.

You might think that as a developer I'd play with other browsers, I do have Chrome, but the interface is pants. I have to use that which most people use in order to test stuff.

Browsers seem to be something which constantly change, but are still a bit pants.:huh:

How many man hours have gone into rendering a web page?

Software and OS's are generally pants these days.

Windows 10 has plenty of bugs. I ended up returning my Windows 10 phone for a refund not because there was anything wrong with the hardware but because a bug in the OS meant that IMAP-SMTP email sending didn't work. So I had a smartphone which couldn't send emails.

Every Apple iOS release is riddled with bugs, usually some serious ones. The thing nags at you every day to install the latest update. If you delete it, it just downloads it again and keeps on nagging at you.

The users are the testers now.

It's all about the "latest thing" and "upgrades", not actually about delivering anything usable nor useful.

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

Software and OS's are generally pants these days.

Windows 10 has plenty of bugs. I ended up returning my Windows 10 phone for a refund not because there was anything wrong with the hardware but because a bug in the OS meant that IMAP-SMTP email sending didn't work. So I had a smartphone which couldn't send emails.

Every Apple iOS release is riddled with bugs, usually some serious ones. The thing nags at you every day to install the latest update. If you delete it, it just downloads it again and keeps on nagging at you.

The users are the testers now.

It's all about the "latest thing" and "upgrades", not actually about delivering anything usable nor useful.

I have a friend who keeps missing out on app ideas - he gets them but insists, old school, on making the work 100% so by the time he gets his stuff working he has gone from the guy with the great idea to back of the queue.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

I have a friend who keeps missing out on app ideas - he gets them but insists, old school, on making the work 100% so by the time he gets his stuff working he has gone from the guy with the great idea to back of the queue.

I installed that "Shpock" app a while back.

They'd gone to the trouble of making TV ads and the thing didn't even work.

Everything is back-to-front these days

8 hours ago, DTMark said:

I've been using that crappy Edge browser. Crashes all the time and so many things that should require one click need to be clicked twice to get it to respond. Lots of settings missing. Basically useless.

I keep meaning to try to get rid of it and resurrect IE11. Will do tomorrow.

You might think that as a developer I'd play with other browsers, I do have Chrome, but the interface is pants. I have to use that which most people use in order to test stuff.

The default at work is still IE10 for that same reason - interface with other software.  I've switched to Chrome (the oteh rpre-loaded option, not the default) as several official websites that I need to use now do not work (at all, not just badly) with IE10.

At home it's Firefox but that's more about familiarity.

8 hours ago, DTMark said:

I installed that "Shpock" app a while back.

They'd gone to the trouble of making TV ads and the thing didn't even work.

Everything is back-to-front these days

The interface is dreadful, simple basic stuff, I want to see a list of items that matche my search not some time selection of bloody randomly over sized images that take up most of the screen.

Not that there's much point in making 32-bit versions of software any more (unless you're really stuck with old libraries you haven't got the source for), but I'm rather surprised that a web browser would ever need enough memory for it to matter.

13 hours ago, DTMark said:

Chrome developer tools for debugging js/DOM and analysing the http trafffic is really powerful. Once you get used to it you will wonder how you managed with IE/Edge.