House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Hollywood incident

Reports of a knife rampage in Hollywood outside CNN's headquarters building, multiple victims, 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/hollywood-stabbing-one-dead-three-9733749

The incident happened in and around a branch of the burger chain Jack In The Box at around 2pm on Tuesday.

It is opposite the headquarters of CNN, one of the largest national news networks in the US.

CNN reporter Maeve Reston witnessed much of the incident and tweeted: "Unclear how many stabbing victims there are, but suspect ran down Sunset Blvd. trying to stab people outside our CNN office in Hollywood."

She later added: "B4 Hollywood stabbing suspect shot, tried to come into our fave coffee place w/ his knife, but customer held glass door shut, blocking him"

More images from the scene show injured people receiving treatment as they sit on a pavement near the restaurant.

Witnesses described a major response from emergency services at the scene including officers carrying rifles.

Stayed in a hotel very near there earlier in the month. 

Came to hate the place very quickly and just didn't feel safe whatsoever hence the reason why those who can drive. Just off the Hollywood boulevard the pavements are just full of mentally unstable homeless and dangerous people. 

LA is an absolute soulless shithole. No shortage of crazy people there who would do absolutely anything for some crack. 

Sounds like a Saturday trip to Croydon McDonalds after the pub shut, back in the 70s.:huh:

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I stayed in downtown LA years ago.  The only place in the world I've been that I felt truly scared.

You must have been bored out of your mind. There's nothing to do on an evening except count the homeless people. 

3 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

I always wanted to visit Venice Beach heard that can be a bit dodgy 

It's a bit of a dive to be honest. Frankly I found most of LA unimpressive, unsafe and run down. 

21 minutes ago, casual_squash said:

You must have been bored out of your mind. There's nothing to do on an evening except count the homeless people. 

Didn't stay long.  Moved upstate and stayed with some hippies in Santa Barbara.  Much more fun.

6 hours ago, casual_squash said:

It's a bit of a dive to be honest. Frankly I found most of LA unimpressive, unsafe and run down. 

me too. Malibu has to be the most overrated place round there. Motorway out the back put me right off. 

We got lost in Compton at night...

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

me too. Malibu has to be the most overrated place round there. Motorway out the back put me right off. 

That motorway behind all those rich people's mega expensive houses... and the pacific basically washing away the beach houses is a surreal thing. Are the luvvies still nicking other people's beaches to stop the erosion outside their own houses?

I used to enjoy reading about the various celebs who were involved in legal battles to keep the plebs off the beaches there, blocking foot-paths to the beach, nicking sand, etc, but when I went to have a look on google recently basically most such news stories had disappeared - looks like a load of celebs have taken advantage of google's removal of certain stuff about them.

7 hours ago, casual_squash said:

Stayed in a hotel very near there earlier in the month. 

Came to hate the place very quickly and just didn't feel safe whatsoever hence the reason why those who can drive. Just off the Hollywood boulevard the pavements are just full of mentally unstable homeless and dangerous people. 

LA is an absolute soulless shithole. No shortage of crazy people there who would do absolutely anything for some crack. 

Nice how the American Left goes ballistic over Muslim terrorists excluded from the country, but are perfectly fine having mentally-ill Americans literally freezing and starving to death on their doorstep.

4 minutes ago, richc said:

Nice how the American Left goes ballistic over Muslim terrorists excluded from the country, but are perfectly fine having mentally-ill Americans literally freezing and starving to death on their doorstep.

Isn't the great attraction of being homeless in LA the nice weather? You wouldn't want to be on the streets in winter in Minnesota. 

16 minutes ago, newbonic said:

Isn't the great attraction of being homeless in LA the nice weather? You wouldn't want to be on the streets in winter in Minnesota. 

I was in Portland, OR a couple of months ago and there are probably more homeless there than in LA, at least proportionally.  It doesn't normally get that cold in Portland, but 5 homeless people froze to death there last month.  

7 hours ago, dgul said:

I stayed in downtown LA years ago.  The only place in the world I've been that I felt truly scared.

Most of America is a lot better than youd think.

Apart from LA which is a sh1thole.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I got lost in the projects in Miami, and it didn't feel any worse than the crappier bits of south east London. Admittedly that was during the day.

33 minutes ago, richc said:

I was in Portland, OR a couple of months ago and there are probably more homeless there than in LA, at least proportionally.  It doesn't normally get that cold in Portland, but 5 homeless people froze to death there last month.  

I was in portland last year, unbelievable number of homeless, many clearly mentally ill. A young american i spoke to blamed it on "gentrification" his argument seemed to be that good old fashioned bad areas is were the poor could sleep at night and beg in the day. Now the city has demolished these, the people sleep in the parks and beg all day. After all it wasnt likely that they were going to drift away and beg off the folk in the countryside was it?

3 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

I was in portland last year, unbelievable number of homeless, many clearly mentally ill. A young american i spoke to blamed it on "gentrification" his argument seemed to be that good old fashioned bad areas is were the poor could sleep at night and beg in the day. Now the city has demolished these, the people sleep in the parks and beg all day. After all it wasnt likely that they were going to drift away and beg off the folk in the countryside was it?

Portland OR has been up and coming, lots of money business, hipsters and the like.

US wide homeless will move to these areas as its a good begging ground. Anywhere where people spend $10 on an orgnaic coffee is going to be a good area for $5 beg.

Bit like London and places like Bath and York.

9 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Portland OR has been up and coming, lots of money business, hipsters and the like.

US wide homeless will move to these areas as its a good begging ground. Anywhere where people spend $10 on an orgnaic coffee is going to be a good area for $5 beg.

Bit like London and places like Bath and York.

I had my first Costa Coffee experience this past week. Terrible place. Over-priced. Noisey. You sit down and then you get screamed at for your coffee so you have to go and pick it up. People do this daily?

11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I had my first Costa Coffee experience this past week. Terrible place. Over-priced. Noisey. You sit down and then you get screamed at for your coffee so you have to go and pick it up. People do this daily?

I dont get coffee shops. Way too expensive. £3 cup - fckoff

Just pop into MaccyD and bu a cheap coffee. Its brown, has caffeine in and is reasonably good coffee.

You wont get clouds of cream or some good awful sweet sauce.

13 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Like Wetherspoons you get good ones and bad ones; the trick is being able to work that out before you order.

I like the re-emergence of coffee houses; I remember reading about the 17th centruy ones in which people met and founded several of our institutions and thought it would be great if they ever came back. 

They have all the comfort and social side of pubs and are generally much quieter; they're poor value if you just want a quick coffee but if you want to sit there and read the paper for an hour in the warm and quiet then £3 sounds great value.  I know somebody who works three days a week and spends most of his other two days in a coffee house just "chilling". 

3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I dont get coffee shops. Way too expensive. £3 cup - fckoff

Just pop into MaccyD and bu a cheap coffee. Its brown, has caffeine in and is reasonably good coffee.

You wont get clouds of cream or some good awful sweet sauce.

In the city every third shop is a coffee shop.

The obsession with hydration is comical. Kids are strongly encouraged to carry a water bottle everywhere they go. They keep giving me a "gentle reminder" that kids need to bring a water bottle to school to prevent dehydration, even though there are water fountains in every classroom, and in every playground.

32 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The obsession with hydration is comical. Kids are strongly encouraged to carry a water bottle everywhere they go. They keep giving me a "gentle reminder" that kids need to bring a water bottle to school to prevent dehydration, even though there are water fountains in every classroom, and in every playground.

I'm a big fan of nearly always having some water with me. :ph34r:

Never used to be when younger but I like to have a wee sip when I want all day long.

I do think many people are dehydrated almost constantly. I reckon this adds to the chronic headaches so many folk appear to get.

Being a bloke you actually get to see the colour of lots of other blokes piss in toilets. The amount of bright yellow piss about is incredible !!

39 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I bet most of the feckers would go hill-walking or such and not take enough water with them. Whenever I go up into the Beacons I try to take at least one large tanker full of water with me... and have the RAF on standby to airlift more. Joking aside, people have actually died of dehydration on the Beacons.

Yes, yet more evidence that ccc is on the turn - he is now breaking one of the cardinal rules of masculinity and looking at other men's todgers at the urinals.

(I do the same and agree about the colour of the p*ss.).