House Price Crash Forum

Shampoo

dgul

HOLA441

So, it turns out the idolised Gary Barlow has washed his hair with shampoo for the first time in 14 years, and it is causing all sorts of squeals from the ranks of social media.

I've not used shampoo for well over 10 years -- used to have problems like grease and dandruff, but these days don't have any issues; if you knew me you'd be impressed by my clean flowing locks... 

Anyone else forgo the 'poo?

HOLA442
13 minutes ago, dgul said:

So, it turns out the idolised Gary Barlow has washed his hair with shampoo for the first time in 14 years, and it is causing all sorts of squeals from the ranks of social media.

I've not used shampoo for well over 10 years -- used to have problems like grease and dandruff, but these days don't have any issues; if you knew me you'd be impressed by my clean flowing locks... 

Gave up shampoo and all soap, except for shaving years ago.

(Suffered blepharitis for 30 years - it cleared up as soon as I stopped using shampoo)

Your skin produces oils to protect itself, strip off the oils and your skin will produce more to replace it, keep stripping  off the oils and the cells go into overdrive, which is why if you give up soap you are overly greasy until your cells get used to the new circumstances.

In otherwords, shampoo keeps you using shampoo, which is exactly what the companies want.

Do you ever see our animal relatives using soap ?

HOLA443
17 minutes ago, dgul said:

I read about this years ago but thought it was an urban myth.  Honestly now dgul, do you smell like a dead sheep? 

HOLA444

Mentioned this before on here. A friend of mine would regularly bore people at parties about how wonderful his hair was after not using any shampoo on it in over a year. One day he was telling this story yet again when his partner exploded shouting that his hair stank and would he please use shampoo to clean his hair.

He has not mentioned the no shampoo story since.

HOLA445

I am interested in your experiences dgul.

I use shampoo on workdays, but simply wet and comb my hair on a weekend. If it dries right, it often looks better than it does through the week.

I regularly wish I had the bottle to go the full week without shampoo, but for some reason I always cave-in come Monday morning.

As a kid, I was as blond as the cast of "Children Of The Damned", but it went a sort of light-brown once I hit my teens.

It is closer to that blond hue when shampooed than when I simply wet it - and the likely reason I chicken-out every Monday morning is good old-fashioned vanity.

Please try your best to convince me to do otherwise...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA446
4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I use shampoo on workdays, but simply wet and comb my hair on a weekend. If it dries right, it often looks better than it does through the week.

I regularly wish I had the bottle to go the full week without shampoo, but for some reason I always cave-in come Monday morning.

As a kid, I was as blond as the cast of "Children Of The Damned", but it went a sort of light-brown once I hit my teens.

It is closer to that blond hue when shampooed than when I simply wet it - and the likely reason I chicken-out every Monday morning is good old-fashioned vanity.

XYY

I thought your hair was interchangeable   :)

on a more serious note, I think you have to leave it a few weeks before the self cleaning effect kicks in.

HOLA447

I've no need for shampoo as nae hair - but stopped using soap a few years back when I got a random skin issue and thought why not. No issues. Your skin isn't porous so except for getting covered in oil or grease - water does fine to clean.

My burd at the time would not have waited 10 seconds to inform me if I was reeking so safe to say I don't smell like a pig. I think. 

HOLA448
1 minute ago, ccc said:

I've no need for shampoo as nae hair - but stopped using soap a few years back when I got a random skin issue and thought why not. No issues. Your skin isn't porous so except for getting covered in oil or grease - water does fine to clean.

My burd at the time would not have waited 10 seconds to inform me if I was reeking so safe to say I don't smell like a pig. I think. 

The sniff test is whether you have a burd at the moment 

HOLA449
9 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I thought your hair was interchangeable   :)

Nah - you're getting it confused with my teeth..!

XYY

HOLA4410
Just now, The XYY Man said:

Nah - you're getting it confused with my teeth..!

XYY

:lol: I distinctly remember the pixilated photo of your crowing glory   Brown it was in that particular shot 

HOLA4411
33 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

A couple of points.

About 8 years ago I washed my hair (so my story wasn't quite true), after the spogs got headlice (vectors for everything, they are) and I had to smother conditioner all over my hair and comb it through to see if I had any nits, then had to shampoo out the conditioner.  I had dandruff for a couple of weeks after, and had the 'wet sheep' smell for about a month.

And I do wash my hair, just not with shampoo.  I rinse it thoroughly with water (immersion in a bath) fairly regularly.  I'd guess that without that rinsing it might get a bit wiffy.

[As an aside, I'm a fan of the 'aquatic ape' theory, which suggests that during our evolution we were immersed in water fairly often, and this led to a requirement to wash through our hairs, unlike other animals which seem to do without.  Of course, the idea of smothering our hair with laureth sulphates is a fairly modern invention.]

[Funnily enough, though, I used to wash it in brine.  Very effective.  I don't bother so much any more -- the salt is too expensive.]

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
9 minutes ago, dgul said:

A couple of points.

About 8 years ago I washed my hair (so my story wasn't quite true), after the spogs got headlice (vectors for everything, they are) and I had to smother conditioner all over my hair and comb it through to see if I had any nits, then had to shampoo out the conditioner.  I had dandruff for a couple of weeks after, and had the 'wet sheep' smell for about a month.

And I do wash my hair, just not with shampoo.  I rinse it thoroughly with water (immersion in a bath) fairly regularly.  I'd guess that without that rinsing it might get a bit wiffy.

[As an aside, I'm a fan of the 'aquatic ape' theory, which suggests that during our evolution we were immersed in water fairly often, and this led to a requirement to wash through our hairs, unlike other animals which seem to do without.  Of course, the idea of smothering our hair with laureth sulphates is a fairly modern invention.]

we do need to wash our hair (unlike other animals), as in our evolution we were 

Problem is that if you live in an urban centre, and especially if you commute by tube, the sheer amount of grime and carbon/grease means that the no shampoo idea is a non starter.  In HK, if you didn;t wash your hair, you'd probably die of lead poisioning in about 3 years... :P

HOLA4415
13 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Problem is that if you live in an urban centre, and especially if you commute by tube, the sheer amount of grime and carbon/grease means that the no shampoo idea is a non starter.  In HK, if you didn;t wash your hair, you'd probably die of lead poisioning in about 3 years... :P

Absolutely.  I live in the country so don't have that problem, but I recall living in London and the hair dirt was more of an issue.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
33 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Fairy nuff. I guess they ain't going to complain about a paying customer. We need something more scientific though. Can you go out on the pull? :)

Most hookers get you to have a shower before you get on the job. Reasonable. None of them requested the use of soap.

Scientific ?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
12 minutes ago, ccc said:

Most hookers get you to have a shower before you get on the job. Reasonable. None of them requested the use of soap.

Interesting.  A bit like going to the pool.  I suppose you could bike over and take the opportunity to change out of the lycra as well.

HOLA4420

I've not used shampoo for maybe 3 years now? Less dandruff and no discernible odour according to multiple smellees. Gets a damn good rinse in warm water at least 5 times a week mind, but is a lot more predictable now. Easier to go without shampoo when it's short though IMO.

Anyone else a crystal deodorant user? One lasts me several months!

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, One-percent said:

:lol: I distinctly remember the pixilated photo of your crowing glory   Brown it was in that particular shot 

Taken on a weekend if I remember correctly...!

A lot blonder in 1972 and 1974.

And sporting a few more teeth...

junior2_zoom b&w.jpg

1974me.jpg

XYY

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived