House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Dealing with the homeless

I hate stories like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38798215

I think we're supposed to think she's done a wonderful thing. But she hasn't. Making people comfortable on the streets (winter hat and gift collections were insane this year) doesn't actually solve anything for more than a few days or even hours.

The homeless need homes.

LOL " Ms Platt, who is an estate agent, added: "The building owners are treating human beings like pigeons. "

16 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

I hate stories like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38798215

I think we're supposed to think she's done a wonderful thing. But she hasn't. Making people comfortable on the streets (winter hat and gift collections were insane this year) doesn't actually solve anything for more than a few days or even hours.

The homeless need homes.

LOL " Ms Platt, who is an estate agent, added: "The building owners are treating human beings like pigeons. "

Years ago, some bellend did the whole 'Homeless people are people too. Stop and speak to them' speech.

Now, I did actually chat to a coiuple of homeless people I walked by on a regular basis.

They were homeless from a combination of not working and spending all their money on cider and/or smack.

In my experience most rough sleepers you meet in towns and the like are scum. I dont deny there are non scum sleeping rough but they probably are dossing way out of sight.

9 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Years ago, some bellend did the whole 'Homeless people are people too. Stop and speak to them' speech.

Now, I did actually chat to a coiuple of homeless people I walked by on a regular basis.

They were homeless from a combination of not working and spending all their money on cider and/or smack.

In my experience most rough sleepers you meet in towns and the like are scum. I dont deny there are non scum sleeping rough but they probably are dossing way out of sight.

HIghlights a problem, like everything else these days the term "homeless" is double speak. 

What you mention there is sleeping rough, however whenever you read the figures for "homeless" it's a tiny minority doing that and the rest in temporary accommodation (i.e. families in bed sits, or hotels). Not a criticism of you, I think most people think the same (or use the term). 

Two very different things really, and as you say the former are pretty much there by choice when it comes to the longer term. There is plenty of help out there if you want it, I'm not saying it's instant, easy or you don't need to jump through a few hoops, but long term sleeping rough is by choice, be that conscious choice, or a choice between a permanent bed or drugs/drink.

That's not to say that often these people haven't had terrible lives that have lead to where they are, my girlfriends parents run a homeless charity, some of the stories are truly shocking. 

Very well put on the definition of homeless gilf. There are loads of invisible homeless sleeping on friends' sofas, in their cars or whatever. There was a piece in The Sun last week of Daniella Westbrook having to do this part of last year including a couple of nights sleeping, or rather failing to sleep as so scared, on a park bench.

As somebody who's worked in the sector, albeit back office, I used to repeatedly hear from the front line staff that anybody can become homeless*; but if they want to turn their lives around they will be helped to do so, starting with a bed in a hostel.

* A headteacher, somebody who'd been in the same comfortable job for thirty years. Things go wrong and bang you are homeless.

32 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

How touching.

"Hello. I think you're scum."

<walks on>

:rolleyes:

Nah. I chitchat.

Ive been invited back to the bridge they were under for tea.

Some are unlucky. Most of the ones in town are scum.

25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Very well put on the definition of homeless gilf. There are loads of invisible homeless sleeping on friends' sofas, in their cars or whatever. There was a piece in The Sun last week of Daniella Westbrook having to do this part of last year including a couple of nights sleeping, or rather failing to sleep as so scared, on a park bench.

As somebody who's worked in the sector, albeit back office, I used to repeatedly hear from the front line staff that anybody can become homeless*; but if they want to turn their lives around they will be helped to do so, starting with a bed in a hostel.

* A headteacher, somebody who'd been in the same comfortable job for thirty years. Things go wrong and bang you are homeless.

True.

But, negotating the coucil aside, you can get a hostel pretty quickly.

Its the people whostay onthe street due to their ott drinking and violence.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Nah. I chitchat.

Ive been invited back to the bridge they were under for tea.

Some are unlucky. Most of the ones in town are scum.

maybe about 10% have a proper sob story which you could feel for.

was one in my town who was ex forces. obviously seen a bit too much rough+tumble and hit the bottle as an escape mechanism.

I can feel for these guys as they've paid their dues and basically been sh@t on.

17 minutes ago, oracle said:

maybe about 10% have a proper sob story which you could feel for.

was one in my town who was ex forces. obviously seen a bit too much rough+tumble and hit the bottle as an escape mechanism.

I can feel for these guys as they've paid their dues and basically been sh@t on.

Not sure on the ex squaddy tales about 'Its stuff Ive seen'.

My brothers and their mates go int o the stupid p1ss it up the wall attitude that exists in the Army.

Fortunately, they were both bailed out and git a n ar5e kicking, so learnt not to spend everything in the first week.

Some people who join the Army dont and carry on drinking, with the inevitable outcome.

One brother, who's army  and military contracting career has seen some real horrors, is totally self contained - real wading thru body bits and burnng mounds of bodies to stop disease. He has an accountants sense of money. He likes doing Lego.

I'm pretty certain for a good chunk of the homeless you see on the streets the actual help they require is to be sectioned. Many I see have visible signs of physiological problems. Giving them money, food or gloves just is not a long term answer.   

Was a doc on the homeless in London many years ago. C4 iirc. Video cameras weren't small back then so the guy that went underground had a video camera in a suitcase.  Very soon into it, people from a homelessness org tried to rescue him. The doc matter of fact stated that he had to distance himself from them to keep the doc going. 

Trying to make us feel sorry for people that refuse to be helped. Yeah right.

A year or two ago I watched 'Cathy Come Home' again. A ground breaker when first aired but I was like WTF?? People that consistently make bad choices end up with shittier lives. Who'd a thunk it?

There was a homeless drunk in the town that I used to live in. I used to see people going up to him to give him hugs (?) have a chat, buy him sandwiches or give him a few quid. On one occasion I picked him up off the road when he was comatose and, after giving him a fag, put him back on his bench to sleep it off.

One day the bods at the council decided to house him, so they did, in a nice terraced house on a quiet street.

Next door to me.

The grief that followed defied belief. It was the absolute worst year of my life as this scumbag and his pisshead mates completely destroyed the house in the noisiest and most antisocial ways possible 24/7. We knew the police on a first name basis by the time he was evicted about a year later,  they knew him well and he had left a staggeringly expensive trail of shit and misery in his wake wherever he went (and subsequently destroyed) for about 30 years. The coppers hated his guts and couldn't believe he'd been given another place.

They let me have a look at the inside of the house after he'd been given the boot. It's probably better imagined than described. It was unbelievable. 

Few weeks later he was back on his bench, necking his cider and not giving the tiniest shit.

I'm sure there are some genuine cases but after that episode I'm afraid my sympathy is..ah...Limited.

21 hours ago, spyguy said:

True.

But, negotating the coucil aside, you can get a hostel pretty quickly.

Its the people whostay onthe street due to their ott drinking and violence.

Absolutely.  I may have expressed myself badly but that's what I was trying to say.

Anybody can find themselves homeless, I'm sure people on here could be at some point, but having become homeless there are plenty of paths out of it for those who want to have a home again.  Nobody on here who found themselves homeless would be homeless for years or even months unless they had mental health problems or addictions.  

Seem to be a few around here who are homeless because they got a one way ryan air ticket to a completely different country they have no connection with, hundreds of miles away from their own.

36 minutes ago, DEATH said:

Seem to be a few around here who are homeless because they got a one way ryan air ticket to a completely different country they have no connection with, hundreds of miles away from their own.

Bus normally.

Between 30% and 50% of the drunk beggars in my local town are now EE.

One pair - man + wife, travelled over here and got their kids took off them.

Now move around the area, begging drink and fighting.

~£200 bus ticket ends up costing tax payers ~60k/year.