House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frozen_out

Street Food

Liverpool has plenty such establishments. I've nothing against the principle but it does grate when eg you are asked to pony up 'proper' restaurant prices and are served with the food in fast food wrapper type stuff, and a napkin which is a piece of 1 ply kitchen towel. The food is often tasty, but it seems as much a way of cutting down dishwashing expenses than any sort of authentic experience.

Gawd, I'm a snob.

8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Yeah, Ill make a fortune from pushing my barrel of Westler burgers in p1ss weak gravy at kicking out time.

http://fansonline.net/middlesbrough/article.php?id=1408

I had a doner kebab in Stockton on Saturday. First time I've been out in Stockton for about 5 years and the first kebab I've had in probably 10. Happy to report no Ill effects. It was 4 in the morning aswell, even through my drunken haze I recall pondering on what kind of fast food place was open at 4 in the morning. 

Stockton though - what a shithole. It was a good night with some good mates, but bloody hell. Some of the 'ladies' frequenting the Garrick need to have a look in the mirror before leaving the house.

2 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

Liverpool has plenty such establishments. I've nothing against the principle but it does grate when eg you are asked to pony up 'proper' restaurant prices and are served with the food in fast food wrapper type stuff, and a napkin which is a piece of 1 ply kitchen towel. The food is often tasty, but it seems as much a way of cutting down dishwashing expenses than any sort of authentic experience.

Gawd, I'm a snob.

This German burger place opened near me recently. The shop got refurbished and everyone thought that some posh restaurant was coming. It basically looks like a slightly smarter KFC selling your slightly better than MacDs but for sit-in restaurant prices. I have refused to go there.

4 minutes ago, frozen_out said:

I had a doner kebab in Stockton on Saturday. First time I've been out in Stockton for about 5 years and the first kebab I've had in probably 10. Happy to report no Ill effects. It was 4 in the morning aswell, even through my drunken haze I recall pondering on what kind of fast food place was open at 4 in the morning. 

Stockton though - what a shithole. It was a good night with some good mates, but bloody hell. Some of the 'ladies' frequenting the Garrick need to have a look in the mirror before leaving the house.

I really would not go out in Stockton.

Pay your Taxi fair Stokelsy. A bit rurally but less sh1t all around.

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This German burger place opened near me recently. The shop got refurbished and everyone thought that some posh restaurant was coming. It basically looks like a slightly smarter KFC selling your slightly better than MacDs but for sit-in restaurant prices. I have refused to go there.

Pretty much bang on my experiences. Brioche bun = tenner. Don't mention 'Home Fries', served in a plastic basket...

Mexican food lends itself well to the 'Street food' idea, sociable and good tasty nosh, but not for the prices charged.

The places seem busy though, so it must be me..

Pizza 'by the slice' joints appearing now too.

Just now, spyguy said:

I really would not go out in Stockton.

Pay your Taxi fair Stokelsy. A bit rurally but less sh1t all around.

Or I can save the taxi fair and take the 5 minute walk to Yarm high street.

I'll never go out there again, it was a mates birthday and he has some other mates in Stockton, so we stayed in Yarm till midnight then over to Stockton.

2 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

Pretty much bang on my experiences. Brioche bun = tenner. Don't mention 'Home Fries', served in a plastic basket...

Mexican food lends itself well to the 'Street food' idea, sociable and good tasty nosh, but not for the prices charged.

The places seem busy though, so it must be me..

Pizza 'by the slice' joints appearing now too.

Bang on. Just in Schiphol, and what precipitated this was 3 fast food places side by side doing 'street food'. Wraps, pizza by the slice, fries in a jam jar, that kind of thing.

I was out last week and the restaurant had an entire page of the menu dedicated to 'street food'. Why? Why?!!

I just wanted a salad.

1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

I can't help thinking "roadkill" when I see "street food."

An old neighbour of mine used to take roadkill game birds when he could, and was sure it was fresh, eg randomly having seen it get hit, on the basis that it had no lead shot in it which made the preperation easier. I had to concede it was a good point, but given it is so cheap to buy at certain times of year it didn't seem worth even a minor amount of faff.

1 minute ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

An old neighbour of mine used to take roadkill game birds when he could, and was sure it was fresh, eg randomly having seen it get hit, on the basis that it had no lead shot in it which made the preperation easier. I had to concede it was a good point, but given it is so cheap to buy at certain times of year it didn't seem worth even a minor amount of faff.

I have wondered how many I may have accidentally eaten when I've been picking lead shot out of my dinner, so I'm sure you're right. I wouldn't want to eat anything that had been lying there for an unknown time, but if you've seen it get hit it sounds OK, and better than letting it go to waste. Not that I'd be inclined to myself, but I view that as one of those things that I should do but don't.

Don't disrespect the pulled pork burger lol

Seriously, where did 'stree the food' come from?  Only started seeing it a few years ago on trendy stalls with 'street food' emblazoned all over them.

Yet another case of the economies resources being misdirected if you ask me.

9 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

I have wondered how many I may have accidentally eaten when I've been picking lead shot out of my dinner, so I'm sure you're right. I wouldn't want to eat anything that had been lying there for an unknown time, but if you've seen it get hit it sounds OK, and better than letting it go to waste. Not that I'd be inclined to myself, but I view that as one of those things that I should do but don't.

Yeah, he was quite specific about it. Nothing which had clearly been run over, just glancing blows. Must admit to feeling the same sense of unease at the prospect, but for no known good reason. I think it was at best an occasional treat rather than a staple part of his diet.

Fortunately(?) I have yet to encounter a situation where I have to decide whether to stop and take one myself...

6 minutes ago, reddog said:

Don't disrespect the pulled pork burger lol

Seriously, where did 'stree the food' come from?  Only started seeing it a few years ago on trendy stalls with 'street food' emblazoned all over them.

Yet another case of the economies resources being misdirected if you ask me.

India and America.

India has poor peple doing bhel  pure and the like - which is really good..

And the states with Food vans tweeting.

2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

India and America.

India has poor peple doing bhel  pure and the like - which is really good..

And the states with Food vans tweeting.

I've yet to see a street food place selling food on the street. In the UK it seems to translate into "don't get a plate".

Are there heavy restrictions on food sales on the street in the UK, eg hot dogs etc?

6 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

I've yet to see a street food place selling food on the street. In the UK it seems to translate into "don't get a plate".

Are there heavy restrictions on food sales on the street in the UK, eg hot dogs etc?

Going by the number of skanky alabanian hot dog + peanut stalls around central London, Id guess not.

Speaking of street food, I've got rodents living in my loft, so went about putting some rodenticide down. A few days passed and I came across a recently-deceased squirrel (with telltale red pellets nearby). Not knowing what to do with the carcass, I lobbed it over the fence (which backs onto a country lane) and hoped the local foxes would deal with the problem.

Then I started having second thoughts (worrying about noxious poison passing through the food chain), so went out to recover it a few hours later - only to find the corpse had disappeared. Checked my CCTV which partially covers the area where the corpse was, and noticed a Toyota Hilux stopping and the occupant picking up the body. I have no idea if I have poisoned someone now.

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Speaking of street food, I've got rodents living in my loft, so went about putting some rodenticide down. A few days passed and I came across a recently-deceased squirrel (with telltale red pellets nearby). Not knowing what to do with the carcass, I lobbed it over the fence (which backs onto a country lane) and hoped the local foxes would deal with the problem.

Then I started having second thoughts (worrying about noxious poison passing through the food chain), so went out to recover it a few hours later - only to find the corpse had disappeared. Checked my CCTV which partially covers the area where the corpse was, and noticed a Toyota Hilux stopping and the occupant picking up the body. I have no idea if I have poisoned someone now.

If my old neighbour doesn't respond to my emails, I'll let you know.

Bagging and binning might be best from now on...

1 minute ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

If my old neighbour doesn't respond to my emails, I'll let you know.

Bagging and binning might be best from now on...

There shouldn't be a repeat of it, they've all been wiped out and the nest cleared. I don't know if folks are interested but a squirrel's nest is bloody huge.

21446d1248650372-large-nest-attic-gedc00

The plumber blurted out an audible Blair Witch-style "WTF is that!" when he first saw the thing.

Back on topic, while 'street food' is irritating, I find a bigger issue with the ridiculous and patronising "soul food" term - basically, black people's food.

I really like Mexican food, but my wife thinks it's cheap and nasty. But at the moment "pop-up, street food restaurants" are trendy, so she's happy to go to them, even the Mexican/Latin American ones. So it's one fad that's actually working for me.

Street food in Mexico is actually pretty nice. And it's not some trendy fad. It's sold in markets from old burds with a wee bench. Not been there for years though - maybe it's changed.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

There shouldn't be a repeat of it, they've all been wiped out and the nest cleared. I don't know if folks are interested but a squirrel's nest is bloody huge.

21446d1248650372-large-nest-attic-gedc00

The plumber blurted out an audible Blair Witch-style "WTF is that!" when he first saw the thing.

Back on topic, while 'street food' is irritating, I find a bigger issue with the ridiculous and patronising "soul food" term - basically, black people's food.

Looks like you could do with some loft insulation. Squirrel fur?

1 minute ago, ntb said:

Looks like you could do with some loft insulation. Squirrel fur?

Could be a novel solution, fill the loft with nuts and wait.

I don't like poisoning route myself - risk to pets and if a rat dies under the floorboards (they naturally go to somewhere dark and warm if not feeling too perky) then it can stink out a house for months if you cannot retrieve the caracass.