Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Early morning backache

Recommended Posts

Lower back pain/ stiffness every morning about a hour before I'm due to get up is doing my head in. Once I'm up and moving about it resolves and I'm pretty much OK until the next morning.

Tried softening my hard orthopaedic bed with a microfibre topper, which may have helped but hasn't made it go away.

Also tried a short fast to eliminate digestive involvement without success. Now suspecting lousy desk/ sleep posture and sedentary lifestyle have wasted my supporting core musculature. Could it be anxiety-related (adrenal fatigue)?

Anything known? Should I consult a chiropracter/ osteopath? Or is this just one of the sea of troubles which accompany aging? A miracle cure would be handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How heavy is your duvet? i have a 13 tog winter duvet and it pushes the tops of my feet down when i'am asleep leading to arching of the lower back, i was considering going back to old skool sheet and blanket but then i stuck an old pillow between my feet to take the pressure off, not had a problem since.

Sleep on back = pillow between feet 

Sleep on side = pillow between knees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adrenal fatigue can feel like a dull ache at the top of your kidneys. IT can also feel like a sharp pain. Most GPs do not believe that adrenal fatigue exists so best of luck with that. However, if you do have pain in this area I would get myself off to the GP pronto.

It could be low blood glucose in the morning. You could be hyperventilating in your sleep. It could be inflammation.

You raised anxiety - are you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Adrenal fatigue can feel like a dull ache at the top of your kidneys. IT can also feel like a sharp pain. Most GPs do not believe that adrenal fatigue exists so best of luck with that. However, if you do have pain in this area I would get myself off to the GP pronto.

It could be low blood glucose in the morning. You could be hyperventilating in your sleep. It could be inflammation.

You raised anxiety - are you?

I've been chronically stressed for months and most likely producing too much cortisol - hopefully getting on top of that now. Before that my main goal in life had been *avoiding* stress so I wouldn't be surprised if this is partly psycho-somatic.

EDIT: Just found this:

Chronic Stress, Cortisol Dysfunction, and Pain

Chronic reactivation of a sensitized stress response exhausts the HPA axis, and cortisol dysfunction is commonly implicated in idiopathic pain and inflammation.14,16,32,36,41 Chronic stress-induced hypocortisolism has been well documented and linked to pain somatization disorders, such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pelvic pain, and temporomandibular disorder.14,15,41 Long-term stress has been shown to attenuate the cortisol awakening response and contribute to morning fatigue, pain, and inflammation.59,60 In a study of 121 middle-aged adults, a blunted cortisol awakening response was predictive of pain and fatigue later that day.41 Similarly, hypocortisolism has been associated with low back pain, and a low cortisol awakening response was associated with leg pain intensity, pain catastrophizing, and low coping scores in 42 patients diagnosed with lumbar disk herniations.33,61Furthermore, long-term follow-up investigations have suggested a predictive relationship between hypocortisolism and new-onset musculoskeletal pain. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4263906/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some publications out lately that link unspecified back pain to vitamin d.

Personal observation is that if I stop taking vit d supplements I start noticing it as back pain in the mornings leading eventually to sore wrists and finger joints.  

Disappears a few days after I restart the supplements.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven you checked the bed frame and or mattress is not collapsing in the middle ? 

I didn't have much luck with the osteopath. I remember they talked about various body energies, bones being aligned and that I would need multiple treatments (10 minimum at £30 a pop). Maybe it works for some but I was left thinking it was all quackery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I frequently wake up and need to get out of bed in the morning because of some dull back ache / pain.

I associate it with being in bed for a duration.

I don't think I'm suffering from anxiety and I take vitamin D (probably too much now according to another thread).

I also associate it with aging and perhaps overall my back is getting stiffer. I probably need to do more back twisting exercise.

Just bought an exercise e-book from a back physio: 'Lower back Pain Programme' - will start that today and report back.
Considering how unconditioned and inflexible I am, it can't do any harm.

Speaking of exercise, I tried the 3rd-world squat and couldn't get back on my heels without falling over, so that's a work in progress too.

It was a lot better this morning following the expedient of restricting my movement with pillows such that I couldn't sleep on my side, just my back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

Haven you checked the bed frame and or mattress is not collapsing in the middle ? 

I didn't have much luck with the osteopath. I remember they talked about various body energies, bones being aligned and that I would need multiple treatments (10 minimum at £30 a pop). Maybe it works for some but I was left thinking it was all quackery.

Bed is old but not sagging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had backache problems - go with the Ikea Firm Hesseng mattress. No funny foam, just a proper pocket sprung mattress. We've had it for a year and it's going strong.

Go to the store and try it first - it's rock solid and can probably support a baby elephant sleeping on it. It's well worth the £550 (double) that we paid. It must be delivered, as it is a beast and it weighs a ton, so it may be a problem for people who live in flats or can't move heavy objects. Buy a single?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/mattresses/mattresses-toppers/hesseng-pocket-sprung-mattress-firm-natural-colour-art-60258737/

There's a 25 year guarantee - but we intend to just buy a new one every 5 years. Initially, your body will need to get used to sleeping in a straight position, and it will take a few weeks to adjust to it.

I definitely know it's the mattress, because I slept in a hotel where they had a cheap mattress - In the morning I was aching a lot, well it was burning like fire. I had to cut my stay short because of it. You can never tell if a mattress is going to be a problem until after you sleep on it.

My other rule of thumb of when a mattress should be replaced, is that if a double mattress can be rolled up and put in the back of a mini hatchback, it's a pile of cr5p (when new, it could not be rolled up, and this other make mattress lasted 4 years).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Just bought an exercise e-book from a back physio: 'Lower back Pain Programme' - will start that today and report back.
Considering how unconditioned and inflexible I am, it can't do any harm.

Speaking of exercise, I tried the 3rd-world squat and couldn't get back on my heels without falling over, so that's a work in progress too.

It was a lot better this morning following the expedient of restricting my movement with pillows such that I couldn't sleep on my side, just my back.

Most ofthe time this is down too either duvets being too heavy or sheets stretched too tight, it outs pressure on the feet which arches the lower spine,

Try it, lie on your back and point your toes /feet down and forward, you will feel your lower spine arch upwards, this happens when you are asleep.

Cure it by making a tent around your feet with a pillow between them, or sleep with the feet outside the duvet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RichB said:

There's some publications out lately that link unspecified back pain to vitamin d.

Personal observation is that if I stop taking vit d supplements I start noticing it as back pain in the mornings leading eventually to sore wrists and finger joints.  

Disappears a few days after I restart the supplements.

Been taking 10,000 IU D3  daily for the last couple of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, workingpoor said:

Most ofthe time this is down too either duvets being too heavy or sheets stretched too tight, it outs pressure on the feet which arches the lower spine,

Try it, lie on your back and point your toes /feet down and forward, you will feel your lower spine arch upwards, this happens when you are asleep.

Cure it by making a tent around your feet with a pillow between them, or sleep with the feet outside the duvet 

Thanks ,don't think my duvet is that heavy but will investigate again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Lower back pain/ stiffness every morning about a hour before I'm due to get up is doing my head in. Once I'm up and moving about it resolves and I'm pretty much OK until the next morning.

Tried softening my hard orthopaedic bed with a microfibre topper, which may have helped but hasn't made it go away.

Also tried a short fast to eliminate digestive involvement without success. Now suspecting lousy desk/ sleep posture and sedentary lifestyle have wasted my supporting core musculature. Could it be anxiety-related (adrenal fatigue)?

Anything known? Should I consult a chiropracter/ osteopath? Or is this just one of the sea of troubles which accompany aging? A miracle cure would be handy.

Try a Hag Balans chair. Puts your spine into a normal curve. Great for sore backs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you hit the nail on the head in your OP...desk. Nearly all back ache is work related, back ache is one condition that actually reduces in retirement. A desk bound job combined with stress is a crippler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I`ve mentioned before I`ve got a `rubber` bed.

Also, I do 100 sit ups a day without a break. (start at 30 and then work up...one extra a day)

Used to have terrible back problems 10 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SarahBell said:

(a) check there is no lego in the bed
(b) get up and have a pee.

 

Check there isn't a pea under your mattress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ccc said:

Yoga. 

 

Your welcome.

Have you ever tried pilates, for back or any thing else.  What do you reckon.

Went to a physio about my back once( generally good touch wood despite being tall)  but starting to show its age. She recommended Pilates. Done a few sessions but still not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do Pilates as well and quite like it. Probably prefer yoga overall though. A combination of both is probably a good option ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ccc said:

I do Pilates as well and quite like it. Probably prefer yoga overall though. A combination of both is probably a good option ?

That sounds a bit poofy! Have you ever thought of Rugby League?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   90 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.