House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChewingGrass

Whats the nicest country to live in (climate,cost of living, people etc) on little money without being a migrant/refugee

Quite simply I'm pissed off with the lack of sunlight and constant feeling of damp-cold in the UK and it struck me that it might be an idea to turn the economic migrant / refugee approach on its head. So where on the earth would it be possible to just up sticks and migrate to on the spur of the moment for nice weather without extremes, a low cost of living, no overcrowding and very little beauracracy or day to day hassle. Fancy house not required. Obviously being from the UK I can't claim asylum anywhere as I have no government secrets to spill the beans on etc.

1 minute ago, Bossybabe said:

Spain or South Western Australia. Without a doubt. 

You want to go to Australia. It's full of hoons in utes!

Just looked at SW Australia and its full of places I've never heard of, I thought there was nothing much than Perth at that end, how wrong I was. Albany looks nice, looks like a warm version of the west coast of scotland.

You can't all come to Spain with me. It would end up like Weston-Hartlepole-ingham.

You would all talk about vitamins, and house prices.

I was speaking to an old mate  the other day that`s doing just what you are thinking about  Uruguay is where they are off to ,they spent six months there with friends from the country and they loved the place they are in the processes of selling up right now ,the only caveat is the very same people moved to Goa when they were 19 and lived in a cave on the beach carved from sand stone fro 15 years so there "love it" could well be others nightmare :D

28 minutes ago, MrPin said:

You want to go to Australia. It's full of hoons in utes!

I went there once.  All the winging poms put me off for life.  I only went to meet Les Hiddins, but it turned out he'd retired a few years before.

I considered north New Zealand a nice place, and certainly doesn't have the 'all indigenous life forms deadly' vibe that Australia gives off.  It used to be quite cheap up Russell way, but it looks bonkers now, so wouldn't fit the 'cheap' requirement.

Spain is much better, once I have turned it "British".:huh:

If you don't actually require a solid base (ie, no children, job flexible, that sort of thing) then a migratory lifestyle can work out.

Summers in northern hemisphere, 'winters' in southern.  You can then choose the 'less likely' places, like Baltic for northern, poorer bits of NZ for southern, say.  I've know people try it out, but they've started off with sufficient cash to not worry about jobs etc.

Humidity has always been a problem for me in Australia and the north of NZ.

Checking Albany weather shows sunlight but also the type of unsettled rain / thunderstorms that seem typical of Aus weather when I have lived or visited there. I've got extended family all over Aus.

Southern Coastal for Sunday Cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower. The chance of a thunderstorm. Winds S 15 to 25 km/h. 
Monday Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower or a thunderstorm in the east. Winds S/SE 15 to 20 km/h tending E/SE 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

24 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

Please don't do that.  I quite like it just the way it is.

I went to Madrid once. Everyone thought I was Spanish. I couldn't understand them and the chips were wrong!

I reckon there must be no more than about 30 days a year when I find the UK climate to be pleasant and tolerable... the rest of the time it's (mostly) cold, damp, grey and miserable or humid, sticky and oppressive.

10 minutes ago, nome said:

I reckon there must be no more than about 30 days a year when I find the UK climate to be pleasant and tolerable... the rest of the time it's (mostly) cold, damp, grey and miserable or humid, sticky and oppressive.

I think you're only saying that because it's currently cold, damp, grey and miserable.  The UK climate is pleasant way more days than that.  At least 40 days pa, I'd say.

I'd add that classical 'nice' countries aren't that great most of the time.  I've lived in 'nice' countries that people like to go to on holiday.  They're invariably too hot in summer, are too dry & dusty most of the time, yet suffer from terrible storms, rainfall and flooding just when you get used to the dryness.  They're also terrible because 'talking about the weather' isn't a normal topic for small-talk, which alienates Brits from the start (...'nice day today', 'I don't understand -- why would you say that?')

I'd say that the UK climate is probably about right from mid-spring to mid-autumn -- you just need to find somewhere about right for mid-autumn through to mid-spring.