House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Effortless Fat Loss

It looked at first glance like a rehash of the 'eat tapeworms to lose weight' approach, but is actually a decent bit of research on the interactions between seratonin and fat.  In roundworms.

I suppose they just might come up with a very specific 5-HT agonist that'll disrupt metabolism and result in weight loss, in humans.

Eating less might, I suppose, be just as effective. 

This science is pretty good, and has tried to determine how neurotransmitters drive fat metabolism -- but it doesn't describe an easy route to combat obesity.

If there is a need for science based approach around combating obesity, it would be in the mechanisms that drive appetite.  Or, perhaps, how current dietary advice is probably perfect with respect to nutritional need and longer term health, but is possibly at least wrongish for appetite control, at least for a proportion of the population (ie the proportion that gets obese).  

Well, it works but is certainly not new.

Maria Callas (the opera singer) used this in the Fifties.  There were two choices mooted then: heroin, which would have destroyed her voice; or parasites at a clinic in Switzerland.  She chose the latter.

Arguably the beauty of her voice was changed for the worse anyway, on account of her diaphragm being altered by the weight change. 

Bit late for the New Year 'Buy a diet bookk' rush.

MY recommednation for the grossly obese is 'Stop using a fcking electric gokart and walk instead'.

I was almost runover by a fleet of fatties in scooters.

5 hours ago, Orleans said:

Well, it works but is certainly not new.

Maria Callas (the opera singer) used this in the Fifties.  There were two choices mooted then: heroin, which would have destroyed her voice; or parasites at a clinic in Switzerland.  She chose the latter.

Arguably the beauty of her voice was changed for the worse anyway, on account of her diaphragm being altered by the weight change. 

It's the operation of a hormone within roundworms that they want to replicate; they're the basis of study for the mechanism.

I did however read of a doctor having remarkable success in treating IBS by introducing such parasites into the guts of patients. He had plausibily reasoned that our guts had evolved to cope with having parasites and their absence meant the gut would sometimes start going wrong.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Bit late for the New Year 'Buy a diet bookk' rush.

MY recommednation for the grossly obese is 'Stop using a fcking electric gokart and walk instead'.

I was almost runover by a fleet of fatties in scooters.

Had you thought that "fatties on scooters" may be fatties because a medical condition makes it impossible to exercise? 

Why do "experts" on dieting think that merely reducing intake will result in weight loss?  Do you get as many mpg in a Rolls Royce as in a Ford Ka?  No, because of difference in engine size and performance. In humans there is a difference in metabolism that I think is largely genetic. In their rush to slim Britons down, 'they' are forgetting this. Or ignoring it. 

Rant over. 

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

There was a link to another interesting article on your link.

Obese men have obese sperm that have modified epigenetic signatures leading to obese children.

Perhaps one reason we have obesity epidemic is because we're having children later when, on average, we're heavier.

The stuff that is coming out about the influence of epigenetics is accelerating. 

+1. 

11 minutes ago, Freeholder said:

Losing weight is already effortless. Eat less food. Easier than staying fat.

Yes, self-evidently, but if there are foods where a smaller portion and less calories will stop you feeling hungry for longer then you switch to those, if there are eating patterns that will increase your metabolism then you can adopt those.

Saying "lose weight by eating less" is like training a football team by shouting at them "score more goals".

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's the operation of a hormone within roundworms that they want to replicate; they're the basis of study for the mechanism.

I did however read of a doctor having remarkable success in treating IBS by introducing such parasites into the guts of patients. He had plausibily reasoned that our guts had evolved to cope with having parasites and their absence meant the gut would sometimes start going wrong.

I've read some very interesting stuff around this topic.  That parasitic gut worms actually release immune response supressing chemicals (for their own benefit of course) which when removed might increase the incidence of inappropriate auto-immune responses.  Given humans must have had these parasites for millions of years it does seem a reasonable assertion that there might be a side effect from suddenly removing them.  Lots of possible other factors such as environmental polution, diet etc, but does seem weird how so many kids have food allergies, adults with IBS etc these days.

The main thing is people learning about food.

I remember once, I was having a tin of rice pudding for breakfast and my wife started castigating me for having a dessert for breakfast. She was very surprised when I told her that there was less sugar in my dessert than they was in her special women's healthy cereal that she was eating. :)

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, self-evidently, but if there are foods where a smaller portion and less calories will stop you feeling hungry for longer then you switch to those, if there are eating patterns that will increase your metabolism then you can adopt those.

Saying "lose weight by eating less" is like training a football team by shouting at them "score more goals".

There was an interesting 'life scientific' on R4 last week (or so) where the guest was a medic who had worked on obesity.  In the background bit it stated that when she started working in the field she was looking for a genetic link with metabolism, but rapidly she started finding genetic links with appetite.  

14 minutes ago, dgul said:

There was an interesting 'life scientific' on R4 last week (or so) where the guest was a medic who had worked on obesity.  In the background bit it stated that when she started working in the field she was looking for a genetic link with metabolism, but rapidly she started finding genetic links with appetite.  

Now that's interesting as it does vary hugely between people and for different types of food.  I could walk past a plate of cakes or bowl of crisps all day and not want one, but if there was a plate of those quarter buffet sandwiches I would be fighting the desire to grab one every time.

21 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

The main thing is people learning about food.

I remember once, I was having a tin of rice pudding for breakfast and my wife started castigating me for having a dessert for breakfast. She was very surprised when I told her that there was less sugar in my dessert than they was in her special women's healthy cereal that she was eating. :)

That's "dead posh"!

HPC is obsessed by fat people and fad diets, and vitamins. Maybe I should post my bowel movements?

3 hours ago, hotairmail said:

The stuff that is coming out about the influence of epigenetics is accelerating. 

In the other direction, I have read some research saying there is still an epigenetic signature in the Dutch population, passed down at least one generation, from the hunger that followed WWII. My memory is very sketchy on the subject, but I think it makes a contribution to the lower levels of obesity seen in that country (as well as the obsession with riding bicycles, of course). There are some almost Lamarckian aspects of heredity being unearthed these days.

1 hour ago, GARCH said:

Given humans must have had these parasites for millions of years

I think there are some locations where seeing blood in the urine (due to schistosomiasis) is noted as a mark of coming of age for boys/men, just as menstruation is for women. 

19 minutes ago, MrPin said:

HPC is obsessed by fat people and fad diets, and vitamins. Maybe I should post my bowel movements?

ratemypoo.com?

1 minute ago, Reebo said:

ratemypoo.com?

I believe Mr Renting has had a few deliveries.

I post sh1t!. Literally.

10 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I believe Mr Renting has had a few deliveries.

I post sh1t!. Literally.

Send them to Gillian McKeith; she would be very grateful and probably use them as the basis of a new series: my top ten turds.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Send them to Gillian McKeith; she would be very grateful and probably use them as the basis of a new series: my top ten turds.

Mine are not just turds. They are monuments to my disciplined diet of kebabs, beer, and pizzas. And I never got fat either.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

That's because we're all fat and eating crisps while posting dreams about our magnificent health.

20 minutes ago, dgul said:

That's because we're all fat and eating crisps while posting dreams about our magnificent health.

I had wondered about that.:mellow: