House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wherebee

La La Land

Saw this last night and thought it was a simply excellent film.  

Emma Stone deserves an Oscar for an exceptional performance.

But- and no spoilers - when we left the cinema I said to my wife that that HAD to be written by a man, as it contains some views of love that a woman would never ever feel.  Moreover, women will, I think, not understand how masculine the film is at heart.

And I was right - Damien Chazelle.

See it - and see if you agree.

Again, simply wonderful.

9 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Saw this last night and thought it was a simply excellent film.  

Emma Stone deserves an Oscar for an exceptional performance.

But- and no spoilers - when we left the cinema I said to my wife that that HAD to be written by a man, as it contains some views of love that a woman would never ever feel.  Moreover, women will, I think, not understand how masculine the film is at heart.

And I was right - Damien Chazelle.

See it - and see if you agree.

Again, simply wonderful.

See Whiplash...he wrote and directed that too..

I am not sure whether to see this yet?

When I saw the trailer I just thought 'Great! The LA/Hollywood bubble mentality makes a film about how great it is to live in the bubble, for the people living in the bubble'.

But to be honest I have no idea what it's about, although the trailer didn't appeal to me.

I've seen it. As a grumpy old cynic, who doesn't like musicals and doesn't like jazz, absolutely loved it. 

People who say that it isn't this and isn't that, are correct of course. But it isn't trying to be Singing in the Rain. It is what it is. A load of nonsense, which is perfectly entertaining for a couple of hours. It looks stunning. I wish more films were made in this way. The weakest aspect is probably the music, but would happily watch it again today.  

3 minutes ago, uptherebels said:

I've seen it. As a grumpy old cynic, who doesn't like musicals and doesn't like jazz, absolutely loved it. 

People who say that it isn't this and isn't that, are correct of course. But it isn't trying to be Singing in the Rain. It is what it is. A load of nonsense, which is perfectly entertaining for a couple of hours. It looks stunning. I wish more films were made in this way. The weakest aspect is probably the music, but would happily watch it again today.  

As I have mentioned before could be case of melody combinations becoming exhausted. I was watching Saving Mr Banks and according to the script the composers were just buggering about on the piano and coming out with timeless classics for Mary Poppins like Feed the Birds  plucking new melodies out of nowhere. You think of musicals like Chitty chitty bang bang that shouldn't have been that musical, look at the score and you think what the f**k. 

Also a trip down memory lane to any pop chart pre about 1985 and usually there are half a dozen new songs that are timeless and are played now and will be forever. Not the case now.

25 minutes ago, uptherebels said:

You like Jazz a lot, just not how I play it.

Well the #vileBBC  seem to be creaming themselves stupid over this every time I switch the tv on... so that's enough of an endorsement for me to completely avoid it.

4 minutes ago, nome said:

Well the #vileBBC  seem to be creaming themselves stupid over this every time I switch the tv on... so that's enough of an endorsement for me to completely avoid it.

That is my take on it.

I am suspicious of over-hyped US films, which most are.  As an example, as a sci fi fan I just watched Arrival.  It was one of the worst films I have ever watched.  I cannot agree with the IMDB rating.

5 hours ago, nome said:

So you form your opinions, based on the BBC, even after calling them vile? 

8 hours ago, davidg said:

Emma Stoned looks borderline Downs syndrome

260px-Emma_Stone_2,_2014.jpg

but yeah, I probably would

I hope for all our sakes, when you posted that, you were so f***ed up you can't even remember it

On 1/28/2017 at 11:13 PM, wherebee said:

it contains some views of love that a woman would never ever feel.  Moreover, women will, I think, not understand how masculine the film is at heart.

Aw, go on. Give us a clue. I'm really interested. 

You could put a load of blank lines at the top so the reader has to scroll to see the spoiler.

I'm sure it's great but won't be watching it as it's a film.  The best innovation of the last few years has been cinemas broadening from showing films to showing live performances. I've seen plays and ballets and mostly thoroughly enjoyed them; far more than any film.  There is something about watching a performance live that elevates it above something prerecorded; be it film, music, or sport.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:22 PM, Alba said:

I am suspicious of over-hyped US films, which most are.  As an example, as a sci fi fan I just watched Arrival.  It was one of the worst films I have ever watched.  I cannot agree with the IMDB rating.

Ditto Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea. The latter was too depressing for words. I have not seen Fences or Hacksaw Ridge yet.