House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Maynardgravy

Obama secretly screws first time buyers

Dore's description "corporate toadies" pretty much sums it up - very like the situation in Britain.

Apart from that shameful and wicked scandal it's also interesting that they highlighted overseas buyers apparently setting prices for US buyers - similar to Britain.

Edited by billybong

Obama was always a stooge, viewed as an easy ticket to bolster the vote from coloured/immigrant voters. Can't think of anything significant the bloke achieved other than not rocking the boat for the democrats backers.

9 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Obama was always a stooge, viewed as an easy ticket to bolster the vote from coloured/immigrant voters. Can't think of anything significant the bloke achieved other than not rocking the boat for the democrats backers.

He's got a pretty impressive bombing record.... 'Yes we can'

1 hour ago, Maynardgravy said:

This is the article the vid is referencing:

Obama screws first time buyers

Given the Bush's family's reputation for pork barrel public spending, it's not surprising the American electorate plumped for the none of the above presidential candidate.

Edited by Si1

1 hour ago, Maynardgravy said:

This is the article the vid is referencing:

Thank you!

That's shocking, and acting directly against the people and against the reason FNMA was set up. A secret deal too, until after Obama has left: he should be ashamed of himself.

One question: why do the article writers think that "the Trump administration would be certain to let the deal stand"?

I am going to be unreservedly cynical here, and say (with the caveat that I probably don't know important back-story here), that if Trump has a personal interest in the companies which might benefit from guarantees under this scheme, then he will let it stand. However, if Trump personally has been left out in the cold (possible, because the deal was forged under the Obama administration), then he may strike it down, as he can publicise this action as part of "draining the swamp" - but ONLY if he can chain the revocation to some other deal that benefits him.

15 minutes ago, Toast said:

Thank you!

That's shocking, and acting directly against the people and against the reason FNMA was set up. A secret deal too, until after Obama has left: he should be ashamed of himself.

One question: why do the article writers think that "the Trump administration would be certain to let the deal stand"?

I am going to be unreservedly cynical here, and say (with the caveat that I probably don't know important back-story here), that if Trump has a personal interest in the companies which might benefit from guarantees under this scheme, then he will let it stand. However, if Trump personally has been left out in the cold (possible, because the deal was forged under the Obama administration), then he may strike it down, as he can publicise this action as part of "draining the swamp" - but ONLY if he can chain the revocation to some other deal that benefits him.

Welcome,

I imagine billionaire donors on both 'sides' have tentacles stretching out into this. 

21 hours ago, Toast said:

Can you summarize for those of us without the bandwidth for video?

I think so. During the US housing market slump after the financial crisis, private equity firms (amongst them, Blackstone, is it called?) bought up cheap properties en masse to rent out but they kept buying after prices rose, so returns have turned bad (as I understand it) and they are now raising funds by issuing securities. What Obama did, as an unfathomable passing shot, was to provide a state guarantee for those loans. The fact that so much housing is now owned by the PE firms is causing all kinds of problems. They're bad landlords because they don't provide the 'hands on' maintenance etc. services needed to rent out properties (in theory) and they've also put rents up massively - edit: and purchase prices - and priced out FTBs. The places they mentioned as being affected were LA and New York.

Edited by North London Rent Girl
forgot a bit

18 hours ago, Toast said:

Huh, so you think it might have been another tactic (like the expulsion of Russian diplomats) to corner Trump in some way? That makes it faintly more palatable, sort of.

On 29/01/2017 at 0:45 AM, billybong said:

Dore's description "corporate toadies" pretty much sums it up - very like the situation in Britain.

Apart from that shameful and wicked scandal it's also interesting that they highlighted overseas buyers apparently setting prices for US buyers - similar to Britain.

Some left leaning Americans are starting to realise what a fraud the likes of Obama and the modern Democratic Party actually are (just like Bliar and New Labour) but it's still not seeped into the common 'liberal' perception yet.

Jimmy Dore is pretty good - he's an actual left-thinking person instead of the current crowd of 'Social Justice Warriors' who seem to have co-opted the left in the USA and increasingly, the UK too.