House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Hydrogen metal made

Impressive despite the stuff being as common as much - if you're prepared to deep very deep into Jupiter, which isn't exactly practical. First time I've ever heard that it would stay like that if the pressure was removed though, that makes it very interesting indeed.

31 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

that makes it very interesting indeed.

Hopefully. These things tend to come to nothing usually.   But saying that, new materials and a way of creating cheap endless energy are whats needed to move humanity on.  I feel we a butting up against the edges of this phase in our evolution and need something to propel us forward before all our animal instincts and base behaviours reemerge and drag us back to the past.

Something as simple as this could do it.  Allowing us to do new things and unlocking a whole new way of thinking. 

5 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Hopefully. These things tend to come to nothing usually.   But saying that, new materials and a way of creating cheap endless energy are whats needed to move humanity on.  I feel we a butting up against the edges of this phase in our evolution and need something to propel us forward before all our animal instincts and base behaviours reemerge and drag us back to the past.

Something as simple as this could do it.  Allowing us to do new things and unlocking a whole new way of thinking. 

Hah, you can probably guess what I'll say to that!

5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Hah, you can probably guess what I'll say to that!

Yep.  I do agree for the most part with that.  On a personal level I think your idea of a perfect world would be one I would like very much. But I dont think our desires should come into it.  We cant freeze our civilisation at a certain time and technology because we like it. We have some sort of duty to evolve to a greater level even if it means going through unpleasantness.

We are clearly going through some sort of unpleasantness now and unless something comes along quickly to propel us into the next phase, I feel a reversion coming on. 

40 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Yep.  I do agree for the most part with that.  On a personal level I think your idea of a perfect world would be one I would like very much. But I dont think our desires should come into it.  We cant freeze our civilisation at a certain time and technology because we like it. We have some sort of duty to evolve to a greater level even if it means going through unpleasantness.

We can't from a practical point of view because enough other people are pushing in the opposite direction but I certainly don't see there being any sort of duty to change. If something makes the word a more pleasant place to live in go for it, if something has changed that makes it a less pleasant place then undo that change. If our desires don't shouldn't come into it then I don't know what else should, since I don't really see the point of anything else (unless you're using "our" to mean just you and me instead of us vs everyone else).

The other items below it in the periodic table are metals

9 hours ago, Neptune said:

Cheap endless energy will lead to the planet overheating in no time. There would be massive overconsumption and waste. If there's no cost or effort to convert energy there's no limits.