House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

"Inclusion" is getting beyond ridiculous now

Watching a programme on more 4. (Amusingly about how the 70's had no off limits for racism/sexism etc on UK TV) and I notice I really can't understand the continuity announcer. 

Waited for the next break and same again. 

Had a Google and found this:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/disabled-guest-announcers-take-control-of-channel-4s-continuity-mics

I'm all for giving disabled folk a chance of course. But a bit of common sense is required. I don't know which person this announcer was - but I assume the deaf bloke as I had great difficulty understanding most of what was said.

Surely a TV announcer - whatever their abilities or disabilities - has to be easily understood for the job in hand ? :wacko:

until they let armless people fly passenger planes I'm calling for the fight against discrimination to go on

I turned on the radio today whilst in the car and on the BBC they were talking about moves to classify women who have anxiety & depression or who self-harm as being autistic. Apparently autistic women are different to austic males - they didn't really explain fully why this is.

I listened to it thinking WTF.

Make a note of this as, give it a few years, and suddenly the numbers of autistic women will have soared in the UK. I can see the youtube videos now - "Don't touch me! I am autistic!".

41 minutes ago, wherebee said:

until they let armless people fly passenger planes I'm calling for the fight against discrimination to go on

This is probably quite possible with modern planes !!

34 minutes ago, DTMark said:

James Nesbitt.

That's accentish !!

33 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I turned on the radio today whilst in the car and on the BBC they were talking about moves to classify women who have anxiety & depression or who self-harm as being autistic. Apparently autistic women are different to austic males - they didn't really explain fully why this is.

Make a note of this as, give it a few years, and suddenly the numbers of autistic women will have soared in the UK. I can see the youtube videos now - "Don't touch me! I am autistic!".

It's all very bizarre. 

Just now, ccc said:

That's accentish !!

Well, yes.

Of course, I speak perfectly clearly and am in a position to criticise.

For all I know, when I ring clients and get put on hold, someone in the background is saying "It's that f***er with the high-pitched whiny voice for you".

Equality used to mean equality of opportunity, now it means equality of outcome or worse - the imposition of social justice in the workplace. Hence the promotion of people into roles in which they are eminently unsuitable. 

Thankfully I'm self-employed and don't have to deal with these ******wits.

12 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Equality used to mean equality of opportunity, now it means equality of outcome or worse - the imposition of social justice in the workplace. Hence the promotion of people into roles in which they are eminently unsuitable. 

Yeah, in a few years I am going to go the same way to stop having to deal with over promoted idiots.  Well, having to be nice to them anyway.

3 hours ago, ccc said:

This is probably quite possible with modern planes !!

It's crazy how well paid pilots are even though they perform a completely redundant and unnecessary role.

4 hours ago, whitevanman said:

I'm not sure it's got quite as bad as your first sentence yet.  But I do know that penetrating media lurvvie land without the appropriate background (class, race, etc) is surprisingly difficult. I don't mind disabled people trying to give ultimately unsuitable jobs a go and helping to demystify things/break down barriers to entry. Change often happens like this. It's driven by radicals and often quite polarising. Then the change happens and some form of sensible norm emerges where things have shifted. Not quite enough to completely satisify the radicals, but enough to get a good measure of justice and opportunity for those previously left out. 

As to your second point, well this has always happened. It used to be that if you knew the right people and had the right background, you have ready access to most of the worthwhile roles. We used to call them useless toffs. Even now those from working class backgrounds are likely to earn less than those from more privileged ones in the professions.  Class for me, is still the great divide and if we could sort it - it might fix all kinds of things. Would we worry about accumulating wealth in housing etc, if we genuinely felt our kids would have equal opportunity to live a fulfilling life regardless of how moneyed their parents were?

5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

There's a good explanation of possible gender differences in autism here:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is/gender.aspx

which suggests a number of theories about why autism is more common in males than women including misdiagnosis due to differences in presentation and it being a mostly male disease because of relevant genes being on the x-chromosome. In short, the jury is still out. 

Personally, I'd trust that over some random BBC news report trying to quickly fill air time. 

2 hours ago, nome said:

It's crazy how well paid pilots are even though they perform a completely redundant and unnecessary role.

They're not any more; the days when being an airline pilot was a passport to riches are history.  There was a thread on here a few years ago about US airline pilots living in camper vans in airport car parks because they couldn't afford hotels.

6 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This is just pointless and damaging labeling. I always think parents do their children a huge disservice when they get diagnoses that turn naughty into ADHD or painfully shy into autistic.  It may get them special treatment at school because they have a psuedo medical excuse but this excuse then also serves as an excuse for failing their exams and will prevent their getting a job.

"I will sometimes lose my temper at work but it's alright because I have been diagnosed as having ADHD."

"Show in the next candidate please."

2 hours ago, nome said:

Train drivers too, but this doesn't seem to apply to bus drivers. Ergo, the salary has something to do with the amount of people you could potentially kill?:blink:

3 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

It got you to talk about disabled people, didn't it? That's what they were trying to do.

Well yes but I'm not talking about it in a positive manner.

The opposite of what the show the undateables does IMO. 

(I should point out I was a kid and I think the poor sods whose Mums took the morning sickness are fcking unfortunate and should be given millions of pounds and the pharam people and NHS should be hung from lampposts')

The funniest joke I heard as a child:

Dave and Barry go round to Johnnys house.

'Is Johnny coming out to play Soldiers Mrs Smith?

'Boys, Johnny is thalidomide. He has not arms or legs. He cannot run around play'

'We know ....

We want to use him as a sandbag'.

28 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Train drivers too, but this doesn't seem to apply to bus drivers. Ergo, the salary has something to do with the amount of people you could potentially kill?:blink:

Yep. A bus driver drives.

A train sits on his are and sleeps.

18 minutes ago, ccc said:

Well yes but I'm not talking about it in a positive manner.

No such thing as bad publicity.

Disabled people are often invisible in society.

7 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Autism is the easy way to DLA as an adult and extra holiday money if your kids have it.

Its Gorddies magic golden ticket.

15 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

No such thing as bad publicity.

Disabled people are often invisible in society.

If they want publicity that's fine but I'm sure they could find a better way to show this particular person in a better light. 

1 hour ago, ccc said:

If they want publicity that's fine but I'm sure they could find a better way to show this particular person in a better light. 

Exactly, all they have done in this instance is actually confirm the prejudice people might have about disabled people with speech difficulty. 

Personally I find the notion that people with disabilities are invisible a bit insulting. I can't think of anywhere these days that hasn't been modified beyond reasonable limits to cater for a tiny minority of people. I'm not saying that is wrong (I think it's hugely positive outside of the cost), just that we have done everything we can at added expense to cater for disabled people's needs and treat them as ordinary people. Unless you think I as an abled bodied person is "visible" in a way that disabled people are not, whatever that means. 

They had an announcer a while back with Tourette's - used to randomly say "biscuits". I didn't mind, but it was a bit disconcerting the first time you heard and had to Google to find out what was going on. I guess it achieved a purpose - normalising Tourette's and showing that once you got used to it it was no big deal.

One man's inclusion is an others exclusion

My grandfather (now departed) had a pet hate for news readers and such like who didn't speak clearly. His hearing was ******ed from standing too close to large ordnance, and the ability of the news reader to speak with clarity was crucial for him in understanding what was being said.

Appointing people who can't speak clearly to do such roles will exclude and marginalise many people with mild to moderate hearing impairment. (I imagine the out and out deaf don't give a toss either way :)).