House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ABZ_RVK

Is it ok to buy a house which has had structural movement in the past but not progressve?

Hi,

I wanted to know if its ok to buy a house which has had structural movements in the past? I am looking at few homes in Scotland, Aberdeen and the home report says that the house has had structural movement in the past but there is no evidence of progressive movements. 

Is it even worth considering such houses with the help of an expert? or is this a absolutely a NO NO ? 

13 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

'no evidence' does not mean it's not happening just that theres no evidence.

It's worth considering if and only if the price reflects the extra risk involved.

True, Agree, 

Still not decided. Just giving thoughts about that property. It was on Market for £325,000 now it is on the market for £305,000( its been on the market for 6 months ) . Its a 3 bed semi detached house with a large garden. So there is scope to extend the house. However because of the structural movement its putting me off. Even if we make an offer we might not go over £290,000. 

Thanks for your inputs. 

How old is the building? Do you have access to the the plans for the foundations? Brick and stone are brittle, a structural crack not good.

Personally I wouldn't.

...and what the feck do they think they are doing asking for that much for a building which isn't staying put? lol

Edited by Arpeggio

9 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

How old is the building? Do you have access to the the plans for the foundations? Brick and stone are brittle, a structural crack not good.

Personally I wouldn't.

...and what the feck do they think they are doing asking for that much for a building which isn't staying put? lol

Thanks. No we dont have access to any documents.. We have only seen the property details on ASPC.  Unless i have made up my mind i dont want to visit the property. 

I think we might give it a miss. As the asking price seems to be high especially with the high risk on the property. I think we will wait to get better one without any structural issue. Thinking through it, the only reason we were kind of interested on that property is that it is just opposite to Mile end primary school. Anyways thanks for all the inputs. 

13 hours ago, ABZ_RVK said:

Thanks. No we dont have access to any documents.. We have only seen the property details on ASPC.  Unless i have made up my mind i dont want to visit the property. 

I think we might give it a miss. As the asking price seems to be high especially with the high risk on the property. I think we will wait to get better one without any structural issue. Thinking through it, the only reason we were kind of interested on that property is that it is just opposite to Mile end primary school. Anyways thanks for all the inputs. 

Fair play. I think a lot of people are holding off regardless not wanting to risk being the last in the pyramid scheme. Scotland is relatively cheap as far as I know, then again Aberdeen is a main city. I like timber frame myself but am biased as I live in one and have built with it.

Edited by Arpeggio

Depends on what else is availkable. If its one of a kind in a location that doesn't come up often it'd be worth considering. Everything can be fixed for a price. If another will come up in a few months leave it.