House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Demographia International Housing Survey : 2006

Jesus I knew Bristol was bad, but 2nd in the UK, how harsh is that?

It seems to me that just about everything in Bristol is overpriced.

Cheers Only me, I will enjoy printing that and leaving it in the tea room at work

Interesting but I disagree with them that HPI is due to land regulations rather than interest rates. Land regulations did not suddenly happen at the beginning of the decade. Low interest rates did. As for the places that have not become unaffordable, that is just because nobody wants to live there in the first place.

http://www.demographia.com/dhi-ix2005q3.pdf

I love this bit:

"The run-up in housing prices has caused business writers to evaluate the market as they might a

stock or shares market. Markets in which there is excessive escalation are characterized as strong,

while markets where house prices remain in their historical relationship with incomes are referred to

as weak. However, this characterization is inappropriate. Housing prices that escalate to the point

that millions of households are denied home ownership is anything but good news for the future of

an economy."

Dubliners should not read this report.

Uh, uh. No way.

Its all wrong.

What the f do these hippy yanks know?

Sure, arent they all protestants on LSD anyway?

Sure, the auld house prices will go up for ever.

God told me.....in a dream....only last night........

Interesting but I disagree with them that HPI is due to land regulations rather than interest rates. Land regulations did not suddenly happen at the beginning of the decade. Low interest rates did. As for the places that have not become unaffordable, that is just because nobody wants to live there in the first place.

It's both. In areas where plenty of land is available for house building, prices are constrained by the actual building cost -- if a house is too expensive, no one will buy it because they can get a new build cheaper. In areas where there is a shortage of land for housing, whether natural or regulatory, then prices will go up to the most that people can afford, as too many people compete for too few homes -- and that is largely controlled by interest rates.

Brizzle gets into the high rollers. :lol:

Something tells me the authors don't think a lot of the UK, its market and the way it has been pushed to where it is now.

http://www.demographia.com/dhi-ix2005q3.pdf

Bears won't like this line: "A structural shift may be underway that would permanently increase the price of housing relative to incomes and other consumer goods and services."

Jesus I knew Bristol was bad, but 2nd in the UK, how harsh is that?

It seems to me that just about everything in Bristol is overpriced.

It's not necessarily second in the UK, because the report only looks at a few areas of the UK. For example, it doesn't include Cambridge or Oxford, which are both pretty expensive.