House Price Crash Forum

Right or wrong?

SarahBell

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

she was wrong to block him in.  That was like theft: 'depriving him of the use of his car'.  He shouldn't have parked there.  NHS should provide enough spaces for patients.  When I worked at the Bristol Royal Infirmary, only staff who had to use their cars in the course of their duties could get parking spaces.  that's how it should be.

HOLA445

There's parking all over the place there.  I'd be sympathetic if he genuinely was put in a quandary over no parking spaces, but I'd imagine that it is more likely that he just tried it on, then pulled out the 'old and infirm' card when it didn't work out.

My aunt is like that -- got a phone call with her crying a few months back -- she'd got a parking ticket, first one ever, and they didn't cancel it  even though she'd told them she was old and infirm and didn't know or something.  Rang up the authorities, to find that she'd had loads of tickets over the previous few years, that they'd generously cancelled -- she was just parking wherever she wanted, and she kept on writing letters saying about how mean they were being to an old lady who needed to park to get her medicines (or whatever) and there weren't any spaces.  I told her to pay up and stop being so selfish (in a nice way). 

HOLA446
3 minutes ago, dgul said:

There's parking all over the place there.  I'd be sympathetic if he genuinely was put in a quandary over no parking spaces, but I'd imagine that it is more likely that he just tried it on, then pulled out the 'old and infirm' card when it didn't work out.

I've resisted posting the streetview - there's usually somewhere to park. The proper car park isn't very far away and if you have high BP then the exercise of walking to the GP might be advised.

HOLA447
HOLA448

The pensioner is in the wrong in my opinion. He knows he shouldn't have parked there and in running to press he's trying to divert attention away from himself.  He's laying it on a bit thick too, saying he had to wait outside in the cold for 5 hours when the doctors surgery had a heated reception he could have waited in and probably did. I think the doctor was right to treat their patients rather than add a delay whilst so she could sort this persons parking problem. I bet he won't do it again. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I live next to a GP's surgery. Car park has spaces but as the entrance is next to the road folk just want to park as close as they can - I'm surprised they don't mount the kerb and drive right up to the doors. From my observations I have spotted three types of worst offenders but if I mentioned them someone would probably accuse me of being a:ageist b:sizeist or c:subcontinest.

HOLA4411

What a bunch of nasty opinions so far from people who really should know better.

I was brought-up to respect my elders, and make allowances for their strange foibles because - well hey, they are old..!

You lot will be old one day - and I hope my words reverberate around your head the day in your retirement that you need to visit a doctor and can't get parked.

If that was an elderly relative of mine, the doctor's window would be broken, the handbrake taken off, and the car would be pushed away.

And I would take on the chin - literally if necessary - any consequences of that action.

A few posters I have previously felt an affinity with have gone way down in my estimation tonight - and not only on this thread.

Shame on you...!

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4412
55 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

What a bunch of nasty opinions so far from people who really should know better.

I was brought-up to respect my elders, and make allowances for their strange foibles because - well hey, they are old..!

You lot will be old one day - and I hope my words reverberate around your head the day in your retirement that you need to visit a doctor and can't get parked.

If that was an elderly relative of mine, the doctor's window would be broken, the handbrake taken off, and the car would be pushed away.

And I would take on the chin - literally if necessary - any consequences of that action.

A few posters I have previously felt an affinity with have gone way down in my estimation tonight - and not only on this thread.

Shame on you...!

XYY

Rubbish. 

If he wasn't able to make a decision about where to park he shouldn't be driving a car!

I've plenty of respect for the elderly but some of them really do try it on from time to time.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It is a joy of the modern age that the internet, and social media, brings us the facility to arbitrate over other people's petty squabbles. My judgment often finds both parties guilty of olympic level bellendery. 

At work we get a lot of problems with people parking in delivery yards/service areas etc. Forced to make it policy that drivers are not to move until the delivery is finished as basically shunting around, in a hurry, to let a car out increases the chances of something or someone getting hit or accidents happening due to tailgates not being properly secured. Needless to say this often results in all sorts of hysterics and the resulting smartphone and dashcam footage generated would probably keep the Daily Mail in online content for a year.

I feel I must disclose I'm not above it myself and when someone was blocking my access, and annoyingly smugly refused to move, it ended with me litter picking on the central reservation of a dual carriageway.

HOLA4415

I suspect that this a regular occurrence, i.e. people parking in that space, and this gentleman was simply the straw that broke the camels back. 

Both in the wrong, although personally I'd slightly side with the blocker-in. If you do something you are not supposed to do then you unfortunately have to accept the consequences. 

I know it's rather contrived, but you can make a case that if the doctor needs to make an emergency visit then having quick access to the car in an environment that is know to be trouble free, justifies a reserved parking space. 

HOLA4416
14 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Shame on you...!

XYY

It's hard to choose where to park.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Nicolas+Rd,+Manchester+M21+9NJ/@53.4437946,-2.2802155,92m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487badef42a05bb3:0x192fe3565ef25da8!8m2!3d53.4437823!4d-2.2797173

Overhead view. The place is right next to a huge car park, and there are streets you can park on round there.

but he chose to park in here
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Nicolas+Rd,+Manchester+M21+9NJ/@53.4440595,-2.2798877,3a,29.7y,214.42h,78.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swAHZKgfS01RviRKupKPLLA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487badef42a05bb3:0x192fe3565ef25da8!8m2!3d53.4437823!4d-2.2797173

Should the doctor have interrupted her consultations and kept patients waiting to move her car? 
I think your answer depends on whether you feel that patients are often kept waiting long enough. Someone else could have moved her car for her though.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Having clicked on Sarah's links of the location he had absolutely no reason to park there as there was plenty of parking just round the corner and was being incredibly selfish and entitled.

Sorry Mr XYY but I'm now with the doctor - right action as he won't be doing that again and with the publicity nor will anybody else.

HOLA4421

Presumably the parking gadgies don't operate there.  Normally there's a hefty fine/clamping/towaway or at least hefty penalties of some form advertised.

If the gadgies do patrol there then maybe the penalties aren't a deterrent now.

Having said that I'm not in favour of the current charging system as the charges are often rather high and in general it doesn't seem very well thought out.  What to replace it with though.

Hospital parking used to be free and plenty to spare but now like everywhere there's the consequences of congestion and entitlement.

HOLA4422
On 1/25/2017 at 4:20 PM, Frank Hovis said:

Sorry Mr XYY but I'm now with the doctor - right action as he won't be doing that again and with the publicity nor will anybody else.

Perhaps Frank.

The day I wrote the post I was suffering from hearing about an old person - my mother - being given the fob-off regarding the condition of my father. He's another old, and soon to be dead person by the way.

The spineless consultant at James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough I'd had to deal with - who I would not piss on if he were on fire - was like the doctor with the parking-space in the original post, and I guess to me, the old bloke in the car was an amalgam of me mam and dad.

The story seemed to epitomise the aloof and superior nature of many doctors - to whom the Hippocratic oath means about as much as a used johnny.

Maybe those influences - and the litre of whisky I'd almost finished - coloured my judgment somewhat.

Or maybe doctors are just arrogant bastads sometimes...

XYY

HOLA4423
5 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Perhaps Frank.

The day I wrote the post I was suffering from hearing about an old person - my mother - being given the fob-off regarding the condition of my father. He's another old, and soon to be dead person by the way.

The spineless arrogant consultant at James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough I'd had to deal with - who I would not piss on if he were on fire - was like the doctor with the parking-space in the original post, and I guess to me, the old bloke in the car was an amalgam of me mam and dad.

The story seemed to epitomise the aloof and superior nature of many doctors - to whom the Hippocratic oath means about as much as a used johnny.

Maybe those influences - and the litre of whisky I'd almost finished - coloured my judgment somewhat.

XYY

Sorry to hear that about your dad xyy.  My family got the fob off from James cook about the health of my dad. But, on the other hand the care was good.  Guess they didn't / don't like giving bad news.  Anyhow, my thoughts are with you.

HOLA4424
5 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Perhaps Frank.

The spineless arrogant consultant at James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough I'd had to deal with - who I would not piss on if he were on fire - was like the doctor with the parking-space in the original post, and I guess to me, the old bloke in the car was an amalgam of me mam and dad.

XYY

Hard times.

My experience, albeit second hand, is that you have to make a huge nuisance of yourself in these circumstances to have those you love treated correctly.

Threaten them with an official complaint if you're not absolutely happy that they have been looked after properly.

HOLA4425
8 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Sorry to hear that about your dad xyy.  My family got the fob off from James cook about the health of my dad. But, on the other hand the care was good.  Guess they didn't / don't like giving bad news.  Anyhow, my thoughts are with you.

If he doesn't improve in the next 24 hours - they switch to making him comfortable as he dies.

He's had "Do Not Resuscitate" on his medical notes for the last three years, and both the family and the medical staff are now united in carrying out his wishes should it come to that. He's fighting it all the way though the stubborn old bugger...! 

And I agree mate - the care is excellent. The nurse who was looking after him this afternoon had us all laughing, and the registrar who popped in was my idea of what a doctor should be like. Superb manner - put us all at ease - and he sugar-coated nothing at all. Straight-talkers such as my good-self really appreciate that.

A refreshing change from the bell-end from a few days earlier - who had my mother pointlessly sat waiting to see him four hours after he sneaked off home...

XYY

Archived