House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Indoor shoes

I have always worn indoor shoes or sandals (depending on how warm it is) as I find that with bare feet, socks, or loose slippers I shuffle around slowly and don't get as much as done.  Partly it's an about attitude as I don't feel properly dressed and out of bed until I have them on (along with the other clothes, before anybody gets in on that one).

I've not questioned it before or been concerned about what other people wear or don't wear on their feet when in their house.

Over Christmas a young relative asked me why I wore them and I had to think and formulate the answer I started with, and then noticed that none of that family did wear indoor shoes, just socks or bare feet. 

I was interested whether I was the exception or they were, as it's not something I've paid much attention to.  Feel free to range as wide as like, even to sandals with socks.

I wear fake crocs indoors with socks. I have reynaulds so like to keep my toes warm. Quite often when it's like this I put a second pair of socks on.

A bit out of necessity, we take shoes off. Returning up a muddy bridle road on foot, but the same applies if returning by car. It does extend the life of carpets and keeps them cleaner. I guess that's why laminates are popular these days.

8 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

A bit out of necessity, we take shoes off. Returning up a muddy bridle road on foot, but the same applies if returning by car. It does extend the life of carpets and keeps them cleaner. I guess that's why laminates are popular these days.

I meant separate indoor shoes which only venture outside to put the bin out or similar rather than wearing muddy walking boots about the house!

Lighter than usual outdoor shoes, slip ons or canvas.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I meant separate indoor shoes which only venture outside to put the bin out or similar rather than wearing muddy walking boots about the house!

Lighter than usual outdoor shoes, slip ons or canvas.

Yep just socks then. Wife wears slippers.

As a callow youth I just wore socks, these days I like slippers or mules.  I don't like wearing 'outdoor' shoes in the house and as for laminate flooring, its an abomination.  It often looks cheap, it creaks, its cold, it needs sweeping (much easier to vacuum carpets), its noisy and worst of all it usually wrecks acoustics in a domestic setting.

Back on topic, I think indoor shoes/slippers are great.

My father never allowed us to go barefoot or in socks around the house. He was worried we'd step on carpet tacks, small bits of broken glass in the kitchen etc. I think it's good advice and I always wear slippers or a pair of loafers. 

My wife used to like to wear slippers because she had bad feet.

But, she was the only one in my family and friends who did not wear outdoor shoes inside the house.

Must be a regional thing, but to me it seems bizarre to take your shoes off when going inside.

41 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

My father never allowed us to go barefoot or in socks around the house. He was worried we'd step on carpet tacks, small bits of broken glass in the kitchen etc. I think it's good advice and I always wear slippers or a pair of loafers. 

I guess they didn't have these neck breakers in your father's day, great for descending stairs. Nice to see you posting again AA.

poop_0.png

Slippers (not loose ones that make me shuffle though, I don't like those). It doesn't feel right wearing outdoor shoes inside at home, even putting aside the problem of dragging muck around the house.

39 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Good point. I smashed a glass in our kitchen last week and think my bloodied feet have now mopped up all the minacscule shards that the dustpan/brush and vacuum failed to lift off. 

My children have brown indoor shoes to wear whilst in School - so it must be a tradition thin. Seemingly we are only able to purchase them from the school shop as no where else sells them so they're priced accordingly. 

I have reynauds too Sarah and have two pairs of socks on with a satchet of *activated carbon sandwiched between them and my toes - I'll defy the medical advice listed on the instructions.

*these satchets have about a third less of the active ingredient as last year. Shrinkflation not making the statistics.

21 minutes ago, Byron said:

But, she was the only one in my family and friends who did not wear outdoor shoes inside the house.

Must be a regional thing, but to me it seems bizarre to take your shoes off when going inside.

I think I may hit upon an interesting subject by accident, I don't know anybody who wears outside shoes inside in this country.  People that I know in the US do but they don't tend to walk outside much (drive to work, shops) so they wouldn't be getting muddy. Plus they have wood floors rather than carpets.

Jeep socks...thick enough to keep feet warm, and allow feet to work properly, without restriction. I have a pair of old shoes outside the door that I slip on to go into the garden.

People often say that shoes have to be broken in. I believe if shoes or footwear do not feel comfortable straight off and do not have plenty of room in the toe box , level , flattish soles & slim comfy insoles, then no way am I going to restrict the way my feet work. Feet have evolved over eons and are very efficient at what they do without any aid.

I leave ruining of feet to those people wearing winkle pickers, high heels and tight fashion shoes.

54 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think I may hit upon an interesting subject by accident, I don't know anybody who wears outside shoes inside in this country.  People that I know in the US do but they don't tend to walk outside much (drive to work, shops) so they wouldn't be getting muddy. Plus they have wood floors rather than carpets.

Does religion have anything to do with this?

2 minutes ago, Byron said:

Does religion have anything to do with this?

I don't think so!  Unless there is a community of carpet worshippers out there.

1 hour ago, Byron said:

Things sometimes change when considering babies or toddlers playing on the floor...and the connection with shoes and dog shit. Or more especially Cat shit, but dogs doo will do....and just to consider general hygiene really. I always check my shoes if walking indoors and never go upstairs in them.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Toxocariasis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I wear outside shoes in doors, well sort of in that I wouldn't routinely take them off as soon as I get in. If they were muddy then of course they would come off, but they don't really tend to be. If I am going somewhere muddy I have specific walking boots for that. 

At some point during the evening I'll pop them off, but often I'll be popping out to pick up my girlfriend or doing something else that requires going outside. 

I've no doubt if we had new carpets then I would take shoes off, but the carpets in the flat tend to be the hard wearing no plush type. Very regularly hoovered and cleaned. 

Edit : Just to clarify the last sentence, I don't think my carpets are clean/germ free, I generally always consider the floor (anywhere) as dirty regardless of people taking their shoes off. Children/toddlers are a non issue, I don't think anybody under 35 has ever set foot in out flat. 

What I've noticed is that if I don't have shoes on inside then not so much gets done.

I have slippers but they cause me to shuffle. I have some crocs which are pretty good but I also have some shoes I recently purchased off Avon which are like Skechers but cheaper. I haven't worn them outside so put them on when I want to be more productive on my days off or working from home. I definitely feel like doing more when I'm wearing shoes in doors. 

And in a similar vein, if I don't take my shoes off when I come home from work I can keep going for a lot longer, cook tea, sort washing, go back out to do the shopping, walk the dog etc compared to the times I take them off and instantly feel like collapsing on the sofa. 

1 hour ago, GinAndPlatonic said:

Things sometimes change when considering babies or toddlers playing on the floor...and the connection with shoes and dog shit. Or more especially Cat shit, but dogs doo will do....and just to consider general hygiene really. I always check my shoes if walking indoors and never go upstairs in them.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Toxocariasis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

A bit of dirt is good of course. But we are mostly guilty of keeping houses and ourselves too clean. So we have problems now with immune systems etc. especially in children.

14 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

A bit of dirt is good of course. But we are mostly guilty of keeping houses and ourselves too clean. So we have problems now with immune systems etc. especially in children.

Yes I`d agree with that. I was often told as a kid...you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die...it`s all within reason of course. I`ve walked dog shit in the house a few times and hate it..but have eaten lots of sandwiches with grubby hands, but tend to know mostly where my hands have been ....I live dangerously :)

I like to wear a 4 season mountain boot on carpets, teaming it with crampons on laminate for extra grip.

Unlacing them can be a fag, but a necessity when popping out for a run, something I like to do bare-foot.