House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Before going to sleep, I..

Before going to sleep, I..  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Before going to sleep, I..

• Don't think of anything and just fall asleep immediately
    • Review events voluntarily before healthy sleep 'takes me' automatically
    • Ruminate, seemingly unavoidably, about various largely irrelevant things for some period of time
    • Get up again and have a drink (or alternative), make food, or do something else before trying again
    • Curse the world and everything in it until I'm too exhausted to do so any more
    • I barely sleep

I've always had a problem with getting to sleep. I think this is an "aspect of me". Somewhat "reflective".

This refers to the period between trying to start sleep (so either coming in before or after partner, or after sex, basically "it's time to go to sleep now")

Just now and again I'll fall asleep straight away but this is fairly rare.

Most often my brain will "speed up". It isn't in anticipation of the next day nor anything else in particular. It does not indicate to me that life is a misery that must be endured. It will tend to ruminate on a variety of disparate things, some recent, others not, before at some point stopping abruptly and at that point I'll finally fall asleep.

Clearly this is influenced by drink/drugs, in so far as if I am drunk or stoned enough I will fall asleep the moment my body hits the bed.

However since I am not drunk or stoned every night, nor most nights, I'm left wondering what others' "patterns" are.

2 hours ago, nome said:

I can only get to sleep by listening to something, either a podcast, or the World Service or a documentary on Youtube.

Same for me.  I usually put on an old sitcom or something I'm extremely familiar with..  if I'm tired I'll drift of in seconds,  if not I still finding it a soothing/ comforting way to unwind.  Those "relaxing hour of" you tube videos sometimes work as well if I fancy something different.

Normally don't have a problem with falling asleep, but have always had a radio to listen to, as and when required, there used to be the night phone-in programmes, but they do not exist anymore like they did, so generally World Service, 4 or 5, with internet radio thousands of options and podcasts available...If not listening aloud important to have comfortable earphones, the ones I find comfortable are the flat soft ones that clip over the ear, one ear is enough, volume on low so can be very easy to fall asleep wearing them.....

What I find interesting is that some people are night owls, sleep later wake later and some people sleep earlier and wake refreshed earlier....not sure if this is a habbit thing, an age thing, or we were just born like that. Think I read somewhere that it had something to do with what time of the day you were born, don't know if there is any truth in that.;)

My option isn't really there. #3 is closest but I think about random things that do interest me - I don't really worry about things. It doesn't last two long either.

I quite enjoy a random wee thought prior to falling asleep. 

As for time 6 hours sleep is all that's required.

I sleep late and wake early. Midnight to 5.30 or so is pretty normal. 

If I can't sleep I just I fall back on 3 imagined scenarios:-

1. Imagine myself exploring a desert island. I just wander around observing.
  2. Fight and command an epic war battle (Battleplans, and the actual battle)
  3. Build and fly a rocket into space to explore the vastness of space

We have the Tv (Dave or ITV2 so something I will have seen before) on timer and I fall asleep within minutes of laying down. I make sure my feet are warm though with a hot water bottle.

If I can't sleep cos I'm thinking about things I write a list and try again. Usually works. 

I rarely have a problem falling asleep, in fact my issue is more with staying awake until my head hits the pillow. However, I think you missed the two most effective methods of putting you in the falling asleep zone: get blind drunk and/or have sex.

Most of the time it takes me quite a while to get to sleep, although it's usually more of a case of being half asleep rather than lying there wide awake getting annoyed. I don't usually go to bed until I'm fairly tired anyway.

Problem with drink is you don't sleep properly. 

I find exercise early evening best. It does the total opposite for the few hours straight after but sends me down like a baby later on !

I will read a few pages of a familiar book until the warmth, comfort, and low light level has me falling asleep.

I think I run a sleep deficit when I'm not on holiday as I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat if I let myself; on a long drive I pull into a laybay, lean back, close my eyes and I'm out until a noisy lorry goes past and wakes me up.

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Problem with drink is you don't sleep properly. 

I find exercise early evening best. It does the total opposite for the few hours straight after but sends me down like a baby later on !

Indeed any day when you have done a decent amount of exercise you will go out easily.

I never try to sleep. Sleep is something that I give in to, rather than seek.

I go to bed when I'm too tired to continue to do the things that interest me. At which point I fall asleep straight away.

I tend not to have trouble sleeping, but if I do counting back from 20 in time with my breathing is usually enough to get me going. I rarely reach zero, although I often reach around 5 amd realise that I'm not fully conscious anymore. It's a bit weird.

I also watch some old sitcom stuff or a mushy film that I know Mr B wouldn't want to watch on Amazon Prime. It usually ends up as a mini series as I rarely get past 30 minutes at a time.  

My problem isn't falling asleep, it's staying asleep. I'm often awake at 4 and this can last around 1 hour - 1.30 hours. Sometimes I'll wake up worrying about work, that really piddles me off. 

I take 5-HTP before bed as I'm trying to avoid anti-depressants or sleeping pills. 

I'm rubbish at going to sleep, and rubbish at staying asleep too. That's after an 11 or 12 hour day in a fairly physical job. 

Alarm is set for 4.15AM  on Mondays, and 5.00AM Tues to Fri. 

I'm going to try that 4 7 8 thing tonight. 

I started on 5-HTP recently, I'm a really bad sleeper. Mind just starts racing when it hits the pillow. I wake like clockwork at just before 3am when I usually go make a drink and have a wee. Wake up again at 5am, almost on the dot. Rarely get up at this time unless I have to. I usually have my eyes closed for the next hour (but fully awake) until I drag myself out the pit around 6am ish. It can take me a couple of hours to get to sleep from going to bed. Whether I am holiday or not its the same result. Only remedy is alcohol. People say the sleep is poorer quality but when you spend so long getting to sleep and so little time in sleep  then an alcohol induced coma makes for a very good nights sleep indeed! Only time I feel mildy rested. Unfortunately its not a prescription for any time bar Friday night.

No issues with going to sleep, but when I have had the odd bout of insomnia it's easily sorted.

John Major. Any interview with John Major. Something nice and boring like this, 27 minutes of it, but you'll probably only need 10 tops.

I fall asleep fairly easily. Usually aim for eight hours at least. Often wake at 3am & get up for half an hour, watch tv, and even drink a small coffee.

When waves of sleep start coming over me, I go back to bed and sleep.

I read an article a while back that said many centuries ago before electricity etc people often went to sleep when it got dark and then woke in the middle of the night and ate,drank small amounts and maybe talked a little. They then went back to sleep till daylight. It has been referred to in old documents as the first & second sleep. Because I like to get to bed early if I can, I used to stress over not being able to sleep straight through, but since I started getting up around 3am, it seems to have settled into a good pattern for me.

Problem is If anyone stays the night with us I have to warn them I might be ambling around downstairs, so don`t think we have burglers, it will just be me.