House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hectors House

Missiles and the angry mob

People seem to be getting a tad bit angry what with Wimmin marching against Trump across the world at the weekend (for what good it will do?) then we have the outpourings over a trident missile that failed when being tested. Lets put this into perspective, On the 9th December 2009 a Bulava missile was launched from the Russian nuclear submarine Dmitry Donskoi. Nine of the thirteenth times the test was unsuccessful. The submarine belongs to Typhoon-class of Russian submarines and is the largest submarines which has ever been built.

There is always the chance a missile will fail, which is why they are tested. Any chance people will get a grip? Not likely!

Just seen this is a duplicated thread, please remove, I will post elsewhere. Thanks HH

Sentiment is one of complete irrational hysteria at the moment.

Nobody's quite sure exactly what they're hysterical about..  but it's definitely something Trump must have done, and that emotion should definitely overspill into other news like missiles.  Everything is wrong in the world..  oh my god oh my god..  etc.

Even though he hasn't really done anything yet..  people can't wait to hate him for stuff and things and they feel absolute despair about it.

I'm no massive fan of the guy,  but the reaction from some quarters is ridiculous bordering on mental illness.  

Some people really need to chill T-F out and get a little perspective.

Nothing terrible is going to happen,  the US have just elected a clownlike showman to entertain us for a couple of years..  that's all. Nobody's going to die,  the world is going to be fine. 

Poor little lambs..  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Hectors House said:

People seem to be getting a tad bit angry what with Wimmin marching against Trump across the world at the weekend (for what good it will do?) then we have the outpourings over a trident missile that failed when being tested. Lets put this into perspective, On the 9th December 2009 a Bulava missile was launched from the Russian nuclear submarine Dmitry Donskoi. Nine of the thirteenth times the test was unsuccessful. The submarine belongs to Typhoon-class of Russian submarines and is the largest submarines which has ever been built.

There is always the chance a missile will fail, which is why they are tested. Any chance people will get a grip? Not likely!

Don't tell Errol!  Russian engineering is impeccable! He got a hard-on from a successful Russian launch a couple of days ago.

And the crass medallion of Trump made with typographic errors by Russian metal workers is in fact a triumph of Russian engineering!

We can only quake in awe of them.

49 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

The ultimate joke is that if the circumstances arose where Trident ever got fired in anger it would really not matter much where it landed. 

i'm  a huge fan of nuclear weapons, I do believe they have actually kept the peace more effectively than anything else in history.

I also love this nuke map application:  http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

I'm happy that a direct hit on central London with a 10 Mt device similar to "Ivy-Mike"  (obviously name after me)  would still leave Dorking intact. 

Of course things might not be the same for a 15 Mt device like "Castle Bravo", though I suspect the Surrey Hill might provide some additional shielding.

With a 50 Mt device like the smaller of the Russian Tsar Bombs, you'd do well to move to Haslemere, at least its still in Surrey.

Once you get to 100Mts, such as the largest weapon ever built, then it;s off to either Brighton or Winchester. Though then I suspect you'd get hit by anything aimed at Pompey.

3 minutes ago, buckers said:

I get the impression that this (story of failed Trident tests) is about getting rid of May because she might actually have the audacity to go for a proper Brexit?

But you know why the tests failed, we were lacking a self sacrificing  guy in a cowboy hat

Media types are utter imbeciles when it comes to technical matters. 

Everything has a failure rate. Missiles are no different, which is why they are tested to identify faults for rectification.

I'm getting pretty fed up of the mainstream media. What is the point of them?

9 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

i'm  a huge fan of nuclear weapons, I do believe they have actually kept the peace more effectively than anything else in history.

I'm happy that a direct hit on central London with a 10 Mt device similar to "Ivy-Mike"  (obviously name after me)  would still leave Dorking intact. 

Of course things might not be the same for a 15 Mt device like "Castle Bravo", though I suspect the Surrey Hill might provide some additional shielding.

With a 50 Mt device like the smaller of the Russian Tsar Bombs, you'd do well to move to Haslemere, at least its still in Surrey.

Once you get to 100Mts, such as the largest weapon ever built, then it;s off to either Brighton or Winchester. Though then I suspect you'd get hit by anything aimed at Pompey.

I can see the Pompey naval docks from my bedroom window. I guess that means I'm looking at the spot that's pre-loaded onto some military targeting computer somewhere.

Who wants to survive after the bomb drops anyway?!

4 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Everything has a failure rate. Missiles are no different, which is why they are tested to identify faults for rectification.

Also this was a missile test.  I think the media write the headline that looks like Broken Arrow Incident has occurred like, "yeah we accidentally lost a live nuke somewhere over Syria."

3 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

I can see the Pompey naval docks from my bedroom window. I guess that means I'm looking at the spot that's pre-loaded onto some military targeting computer somewhere.

Who wants to survive after the bomb drops anyway?!

I've taken the kids on the harbour tour a few times, great fun!  Gun Wharf is good for keep the little ones fed and content with presents.

I've always wondered if in some cyber hacked / EMP war of the future where all electronics systems are disabled whether the Royal Navy might be forced to stick the White Ensign back on HMS Warrior.

2 hours ago, Hectors House said:

"On the 9th December 2009 a Bulava missile was launched from the Russian nuclear submarine Dmitry Donskoi. Nine of the thirteenth times the test was unsuccessful."

My immediate reaction was that must be wrong. Errol is always helping out by informing of us the superb Russian weapons systems that are foolproof. Somebody on the web is lying. It must be a conspiracy.
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/one-russias-most-advanced-nuclear-missiles-self-destructed-17869

Incidentally, here's what must be the most beautiful missile test failure ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJnfTAs4BtM

10 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I've taken the kids on the harbour tour a few times, great fun!  Gun Wharf is good for keep the little ones fed and content with presents.

I've always wondered if in some cyber hacked / EMP war of the future where all electronics systems are disabled whether the Royal Navy might be forced to stick the White Ensign back on HMS Warrior.

Haha, the Warrior was a cutting edge weapon in its time!

I love the historic dockyards. It's a totally unashamed celebration of the nation's glorious naval history. It's worth crossing over to Gosport too and having a look at HMS Alliance. The early submariners put up with unbelievably awful conditions. It is quite humbling.

Have you not worked out yet that the plan is to DESTROY the UK. Destroy our culture. Our heritage. Our freedoms. Our way of life.

Those working as the mouth-pieces of those who want this - the journos, the presenter on the TV & Radio, the fem-nazis, the crazy left in politics - see the trident missile story as another opportunity to rubbish the UK and to try and remove another element of our defence.

They took away our guns. They have decimated the military. The Police have been feminised and neuteured by political correctness.

15 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Have you not worked out yet that the plan is to DESTROY the UK. Destroy our culture. Our heritage. Our freedoms. Our way of life.

Those working as the mouth-pieces of those who want this - the journos, the presenter on the TV & Radio, the fem-nazis, the crazy left in politics - see the trident missile story as another opportunity to rubbish the UK and to try and remove another element of our defence.

They took away our guns. They have decimated the military. The Police have been feminised and neuteured by political correctness.

Listen to 'Lefty Howard".... They use the language of the left to destroy our freedom. 

Best part "North Korea gets their propaganda for free, while we have to pay for it!"

F**king right on!

9 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

Listen to 'Lefty Howard".... They use the language of the left to destroy our freedom. 

Best part "North Korea gets their propaganda for free, while we have to pay for it!"

F**king right on!

He is right - it doesn't make any sense.

4 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

He is right - it doesn't make any sense.

As already said previously, the lefty liberals are just the new Useful Idiots of the Globalists, the banksters and the wealthy elite.

Ironically, the potential inaccuracy of nuclear missiles undermines one of the arguments for getting rid of them  - i.e. that if you don't have them you won't be a target. From some of the statistics I have seen I think there is a pretty good chance that in any any nuclear exchange a good number of nukes would go AWOL and wind up dropping on neutral and non-aligned nations.  Nuclear neutrality is fine as a moral strategy but as a pragmatic response it is actually putting the same faith in technology as those who argue for spending vast sums of money in upgrading the nuclear weapons systems. In fact I think what makes nukes effective as a peace keeping option is the element of uncertainty they put into all political and military calculations. If the consequences could be accurately quantified then I suspect people might be more tempted to gamble with them.  So I am all for the odd missile failing in quality assurance providing they don't test them with live ammo. The fact they may end up hitting either the target or the very people who fired them is a positive deterrent to both sides from using them in anger.

10 hours ago, whitevanman said:

Haha, the Warrior was a cutting edge weapon in its time!

I love the historic dockyards. It's a totally unashamed celebration of the nation's glorious naval history. It's worth crossing over to Gosport too and having a look at HMS Alliance. The early submariners put up with unbelievably awful conditions. It is quite humbling.

Yes, visited HMS Alliance, very interesting trip.  My 5 year old who loves ships got on board and then asked if it was going under water, when I said yes he freak out and tried to run out.

Clearly not submariner material.

11 hours ago, whitevanman said:

Yeah, hear something similar (although not quite to the same extent, nuclear missiles being what they are) whenever something under test fails. Makes you wonder what they think the point of tests is, if they never failed there wouldn't be any point in doing them.

Bulava has had a problematic history. Out of 26 tests, 13 have launched successfully. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSM-56_Bulava) . But I guess if that was a war, 13 missiles would get through with 6 warheads each (minimum) - enough to destroy pretty much any country.

The ground weapons (Topol, Iskander, Kaliber etc) all work very well, so I think the tech required for submarine launch is just far more complicated (particularly as both Russia and the US/UK have regular issues).

8 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Yeah, hear something similar (although not quite to the same extent, nuclear missiles being what they are) whenever something under test fails. Makes you wonder what they think the point of tests is, if they never failed there wouldn't be any point in doing them.

Practice in using them. No point waiting until you really need to fire one to get the instruction manual out.

Bulava has had a problematic history. Out of 26 tests, 13 have launched successfully. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSM-56_Bulava) . But I guess if that was a war, 13 missiles would get through with 6 warheads each (minimum) - enough to destroy pretty much any country.

The ground weapons (Topol, Iskander, Kaliber etc) all work very well, so I think the tech required for submarine launch is just far more complicated (particularly as both Russia and the US/UK have regular issues).

19 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I remember the 1980's when as a teenager the threat of nuclear war reared its ugly head. One of the local newspapers did a piece that if (at the time - 1983) there was a war places like Stevenage (British Aerospace), Hatfield (British Aerospace), Luton Airport, RAE Thurleigh (Vulcan bomber dispersal airfield), Bassingbourne Barracks, and so on all would have been targetted by individual missiles, just these alone would have killed everyone in the northern home counties as well as North London because if the firestorm would have been huge. Actually, very few places would have escaped the firestorm from the bombs that would have been dropped across the UK. I think Chichester ironically was one place they expected for people to survive because fallout wasn't expected there, despite the town having a barracks at the time and it's closeness to Portsmouth.

I have been to the Hack Green nuclear bunker in Cheshire twice, one of the displays there shows the after effect of a Soviet missile overshooting Manchester airport and hitting Nantwich which is just down the road from Hack Green.