House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Economic Exile

Dog Liason Officer

A few days ago I was walking along my local river when I encountered a Dog Liason Officer. He scanned my dogs and found they weren't microchipped but in my favour they did have the correct type of ID tags. Got the speil about how he had the power to take my dogs off me, put them in kennels that I would have to pay for until I coughed up a fine of £70 per dog.

Well I've conformed and reluctantly got them microchipped on Saturday. Personally I dislike microchipping animals but such is life. 

Meantime many of the pavements in the town are littered with dog shit and old people are stuck in hospital due to a lack of homecare. But never mind a bumptious little jobsworth has a good gig from the council seeking out doggies with no microchips.

On the other hand, in this region, all traffic wardens have been scrapped so people can now park for as long as they like with no hassle or no fines.

Councils, I'm speechless!

3 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Dog liaison officer.
Wow.

I've not seen one advertised else I'd have applied. 

It's a'rough' job I hear ;)

10 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Dog liaison officer.
Wow.

I've not seen one advertised else I'd have applied. 

I wouldn't mind doing that either. Wandering about the region on well known dog walks looking for unmicrochipped dogs. Although I don't know what else comes under the remit of a Dog Liason Officer ? as I've never seen that advertised either. You'd think Dumfries and galloway council had money to burn! Just wait until the increased council tax demand pops through the door...I feel a letter coming on!

they spend most of their time picking up strays in my area.  Police have closed their kennels for lost dogs, so this was another task that befell the Local Councils.

Councils like hiring people that allows them to make money via fines. You are llucky that he did not fine you. Is the post new in your area - perhaps they are giving people a few weeks of grace until they start fining people en masse?

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Was the chap Korean?

He used to work at the BBC...

I guess the law must allow that sort of officer to waylay and stop a person going about his/her honest business and stop and search their dog without any reason.  Presumably they are obliged to show the equivalent of their warrant card to ensure they are genuine.

I think there is a poor sort of logic going on.  Something like:

• Dog owners and their dogs can be bad or good.
  • Good owners are fine.  Bad owners are a nuisance and need to be controlled (pooing, aggressive dogs, noise nuisance, etc).
  • But identifying the bad owners as they go about their normal day-to-day activities is difficult.
  • However, the law has just changed, requiring all dogs to be microchipped.
  • Good owners will have followed the rules
  • Ergo, if a dog isn't microchipped then it is a bad dog with a bad owner.  
  • Hurray, we've got a method to find them!

You find this sort of logic everywhere; local government, policing, etc.  It is a poor approach, but moaning about it won't stop it.

I'd suggest (not to you OP as you've already said you're going to do it -- others reading), that there isn't any point in fighting this sort of policy -- just jump through the hoop and remove their ability to judge you based on your behaviour.  Save the fighting to policies that make some difference.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

I think there is a poor sort of logic going on.  Something like:

• Dog owners and their dogs can be bad or good.
  • Good owners are fine.  Bad owners are a nuisance and need to be controlled (pooing, aggressive dogs, noise nuisance, etc).
  • But identifying the bad owners as they go about their normal day-to-day activities is difficult.
  • However, the law has just changed, requiring all dogs to be microchipped.
  • Good owners will have followed the rules
  • Ergo, if a dog isn't microchipped then it is a bad dog with a bad owner.  
  • Hurray, we've got a method to find them!

You find this sort of logic everywhere; local government, policing, etc.  It is a poor approach, but moaning about it won't stop it.

I'd suggest (not to you OP as you've already said you're going to do it -- others reading), that there isn't any point in fighting this sort of policy -- just jump through the hoop and remove their ability to judge you based on your behaviour.  Save the fighting to policies that make some difference.

Good points but you can fight back on some things. Our local park, the local authority decided that all dogs has to be on a lead and put up notices to,say as such.  Now, this isn't an ornamental park, but just grass and trees and very popular with dog walkers.

They employed a couple of wardens to tell people off for not having their dog on a lead.  They picked on my partner and our dog is incredibly well behaved. The dog was walking to heel and not bothering anyone.

anyhoo, a lot gave them short shrift and quietly they disappeared and the notices came down  

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Councils like hiring people that allows them to make money via fines. You are llucky that he did not fine you. Is the post new in your area - perhaps they are giving people a few weeks of grace until they start fining people en masse?

Well I've never encountered a council jobsworth of this nature before so not sure if new or will pop up again. 

But yes I was warned that he'll be back hence I've reluctantly had a foreign body inserted in my dogs because I can't afford being fined £70 x 2 if I'm caught once or more. If I could I would have ignored him and made my own choice and not microchipped my dogs. 

Others have had to go and buy suitable dog ID tags with the correct info "as deemed by Dog Liason Officer"

F**k I get so pissed off sometimes with the world :(

This dog microchip thing really didn't have much coverage but apparently is true!  

As manic street preachers said: "If you tolerate this, your children will be next."  Or cats.

19 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Can't believe they didn't allow you to go on a dog awareness course as an alternative. 

?

Your comment made me laugh. But, if the "Officer" had given me that option I doubt I could have remained smiling, calm and accepting in the situation.

Now I'm legal, if I encounter him again, I'll have fun winding up suggesting arranging some kind of dog awareness courses for the uninformed.

19 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

One day in this country dogs will be illegal.

Maybe we can eat them all to get rid of them ? Not everyone gets my dark sense of humour!

Perhaps you're right that one day having an animal companion will be illegal. Dogs are high on the complaint list regarding shit on pavements and in parks, barking during the day while owners are out at work and usual dog fights and human biting stuff. It only takes a few people in the right place with the right connections to get stuff done.

Notice that bourgeois horse owners are not picked on, they use the long distance trails near me to exercise their pets and think they own the place as they lord it above the non horse owning plebs. Height is everything as you look down your nose at everyone, bit like car ownership migrating to super massive 4wds.

17 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Notice that bourgeois horse owners are not picked on, they use the long distance trails near me to exercise their pets and think they own the place as they lord it above the non horse owning plebs. Height is everything as you look down your nose at everyone, bit like car ownership migrating to super massive 4wds.

Yes I've encountered several horse owners who have given me the impression that I'm beneath them. Good luck to them I don't waste my time with them.

A few weeks ago there was an article about a local horse owner currently building up a stable. Big pic of him ever so soberly pointing at dog shit on a path through his land that he acquired 5 or so years ago. Jist of the story was that he would have to close the path to dog walkers because of the mess and danger to his horses.

What a plonker. He has no chance of getting the path closed as there was an underpass built to get to it because it's a public path. One of the houses beyond that path I think of as "reactor 5", a nickname it was given from the workers at a nuclear power factory (Reactor 5 was built by a boss). Anyway that's just one of those things that crop up to me remind me lots if things never change.

That bit of the law had passed me by; as of 6 April 2016 all dogs have to be micro chipped and their details logged on a national database.

Dogs: we know where you live.

7 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

Maybe we can eat them all to get rid of them ? Not everyone gets my dark sense of humour!

Perhaps you're right that one day having an animal companion will be illegal. Dogs are high on the complaint list regarding shit on pavements and in parks, barking during the day while owners are out at work and usual dog fights and human biting stuff. It only takes a few people in the right place with the right connections to get stuff done.

Maybe they will just be very expensive and so most won't be able to afford them. So the plebs will have to do with robotic immitations instead. 

Something like an electric sheep. 

I imagine you maybe caught the guy on his first day or week. Give it a few weeks dealing with the public and he won't give a shit anymore, like most of the public facing council staff. He will probably go find a nice coffee shop to sit in for most of the day.