House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Wonky trident

Crossing  many threads - wimmin corbyn labour snp.

Navy run a trident test, which did not go well.

BBC jump on this. Rentaquotes from Corbyn, Strugeon, misc morons - disaster, doomed!!! were all going to die!!!!

Do these people not understand what 'test' means ffs?

Was this just an attempt to get Corbyn to say stuff that will alienate himself even more from Northern Labour voters?

30 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Crossing  many threads - wimmin corbyn labour snp.

Navy run a trident test, which did not go well.

BBC jump on this. Rentaquotes from Corbyn, Strugeon, misc morons - disaster, doomed!!! were all going to die!!!!

Do these people not understand what 'test' means ffs?

Was this just an attempt to get Corbyn to say stuff that will alienate himself even more from Northern Labour voters?

'Test' from an operational submarine with operational missile and crew is not the same as an R&D test.  It should have worked. It didn't.

55 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

'Test' from an operational submarine with operational missile and crew is not the same as an R&D test.  It should have worked. It didn't.

Yes.

The latest Russian test of Topol (5 days ago) went off without a hitch:

https://www.rt.com/news/374008-topol-missile-launch-russia/

“A training war-head has hit a hypothetical target with high precision at a firing ground at the Kamchatka peninsula,” the statement also said.

The Russian Topol-M intercontinental ballistic missile, also known as RT-2PM2 or SS-27 “Sickle B”, is one of the most recent missiles of its kind activated by Russia. It’s reported maximum range is about 11,000 kilometers (6,835 miles). Topol-M carries a single warhead with yield of about an 800 kt, but it is also compatible with multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) warheads.

Topol-M is capable of carrying four to six warheads along with decoys, according to chief designer Yury Solomonov. The missile is 22.7m long with the body of the first stage having a diameter of 1.9m.

At launch, its mass is 47,200kg, including the 1,200kg of payload. It was designed by the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology, and is built at the Votkinsk Machine Building Plant.

Slightly off-topic - but the US Army this week decided on a new handgun to replace the 30 year old Berreta. They have been using glocks and SIGs in varying numbers for several years. But many years ago they put out to tender for a replacement.

What followed was thousands of pages of specification requirements and a process that has taken as long as two World Wars put together. It seems that nothing that the US military does when it comes to buying things can be done without a vast amount of time and money spent on testing, investigating and paper-shuffling.

They have decided on the Sig Sauer P320. They are going to buy 300,000 for something like $600 million. The process resulted in the US Army Chief Of Staff saying:

“We’re not figuring out the next lunar landing. This is a pistol. Two years to test? At $17 million? You give me $17 million on a credit card, and I’ll call Cabela’s tonight, and I’ll outfit every soldier, sailor, airman and Marine with a pistol for $17 million. And I’ll get a discount on a bulk buy… It’s not a lack of oversight. We’re not asking for free rein, let’s go party… I’m saying: Let me—and then hold me accountable—figure out what type of pistol we need, and let me go buy it and not go through nine years of scrutiny.”

Apparently the Tridents used on RN submarines are drawn from exactly the same stockpile as those used by the U.S. Navy. They are then taken to the UK to be fitted with nuclear war heads. After a period of service they are then sent back for refurbishment before redeployment. This incident therefore could just as easily happened on a U.S. vessel. Indeed, the missile in question might have seen service on both British and US subs. If the deterrent is unreliable then it does not just impact the UK. Nor necessarily is it within the capability of HMG to fix it.

6 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Apparently the Tridents used on RN submarines are drawn from exactly the same stockpile as those used by the U.S. Navy. They are then taken to the UK to be fitted with nuclear war heads. After a period of service they are then sent back for refurbishment before redeployment. This incident therefore could just as easily happened on a U.S. vessel. Indeed, the missile in question might have seen service on both British and US subs. If the deterrent is unreliable then it does not just impact the UK. Nor necessarily is it within the capability of HMG to fix it.

It would be somewhat surreal for a UK sub using a US missile fired at Russia to blow up Seattle or Detroit.

3 hours ago, happy_renting said:

System tests in an operational environment are just as much part of the testing cycle as R&D. No system is 100% reliable so if you are going to detect technical or procedural problems this is one of the places to find them. The issue here is not that the test failed since that is the point of testing but whether Parliament was misinformed when discussing the matter in July 2016.

2 hours ago, happy_renting said:

Trident will be like a 50 year old broom - 20 new heads, 10 nes handles.

In its life time id guess the electronics  have changed.

Weapins systems are undrer constant test and change. Thd asumption yhdt are delivered working and fixed is crpa.

As far as nuclear delivery systems go Trident apparently is one of the most reliable. I would not suggest spending too long looking at the same stats for the U.S. minuteman missiles deployed for much of the Cold war. It appears that though they were intended to be 90% accurate they actually only had a maximum 70% reliability rate in the 1960s so a good portion of the US nuclear arsenal of that era could have ended up blue on blue. Not that it would have made much difference in a nuclear Armageddon.

3 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Given that the UK only provides the warhead but buys the rest of the Trident technology from the Yanks presumably we can take the goods and the receipt to the shop and demand our money back.

Cash and carry

1 minute ago, hotairmail said:

It's the unpredictability strategy. It's a deterrent in its own right.

Could be a new plan to make everyone else on the planet nice to us - p*ss us off and we will fire a missle but we have no idea which country it will land on.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Could be a new plan to make everyone else on the planet nice to us - p*ss us off and we will fire a missle but we have no idea which country it will land on.

:lol:

Fast track Brexit deals.

4 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Given that the UK only provides the warhead but buys the rest of the Trident technology from the Yanks presumably we can take the goods and the receipt to the shop and demand our money back.

We don't need to return it - apparently it sends itself back when faulty with no outside help.

We should ask for a refund or we test another one.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I believe North Korea already hold the copyright on that plan.

3 hours ago, spyguy said:

Trident will be like a 50 year old broom - 20 new heads, 10 nes handles.

In its life time id guess the electronics  have changed.

Weapins systems are undrer constant test and change. Thd asumption yhdt are delivered working and fixed is crpa.

Were you in charge for uploading the telemetry?

Case solved 

Surely even if May knew, which she probably did, they can't expect her to announce all of our defence failings publicly a couple of weeks later to the world.

11 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Were you in charge for uploading the telemetry?

Case solved 

Another for my list of bastads.

32 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Another for my list of bastads.

Bit harsh there double-oh-seven.

I mean let's be honest - there's more chance of Jeremy friggin' Corbyn successfully entering the codes that launch a nuke than you mate..!

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb