House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Which Generation are you?

Which Generation are you? Boomer, X or Millennial/Y or Gen Z/iGen   

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which generation are you? Thought I'd run this given all the recent integenerational arguments. I know my dates aren't an exact science, but the UK seems to be a few years behind the US.

• Boomer (1945-65)
    • GenX (1966-85)
    • Millennial (1986-2000)
    • GenZ (2000-2015)
    • Silent Generation (1925-45) just in case

1985 is way too late for GenX, cutoff should be more like late 1970s.

People born in the early 1980s are clearly Millennials, totally shafted as FTBs whereas GenX had a bite at the cherry in the mid-late 1990s.

Dates are wrong for the UK as class sizes were dropping by from 1964, Boomer should be from 1946 as it took 9 months from post WW2 insemination to birth through to 1964. Generation X is therefore from 1965. I would also tend to think that as the UK has been in a state of economic decline since the post WW2 rebuilding phase you could also argue that economically anyone born after 1962 or so is not a baby boomer as well.

Labels like this are all a bit pathetic really as everybodys circumstances are different based on birth, location, health and the cards (luck) you are dealt with in life.

You might as well have a vote on the coolest/hippest generation for all it is technically worth.

I think the definitions work better as 15ish year intervals with a few years of fuzzy time between, e.g.

Boomer 1946-late 1950s

GenX early 1960s-late 1970s

GenY/Millennial 1980-1995

GenZ 2000-2015

13 minutes ago, sexton said:

Boomer but I never really "grew up".

I'm not planning to! Boomer for what it's worth. I sat in a class with fifty other kids, so I guess it was a "boom".

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I'm not planning to! Boomer for what it's worth. I sat in a class with fifty other kids, so I guess it was a "boom".

I finally got an education just before Christmas 1969 aged five years four months, a staggered intake because of the volume of 1964 boomers. Leaving in June 1980 still aged 15 equals feeling a bit short changed.

I was born in 1965.

Does that make me the last of the "Boomers", or an early example of "GenX"...?

Personally I couldn't give a shite - no-one pigeon-holes The XYY Man..!

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

I think the definitions work better as 15ish year intervals with a few years of fuzzy time between, e.g.

Boomer 1946-late 1950s

GenZ 2000-2015

I did want the ranges at least contiguous.

what if you were born in 1996?

18 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I was born in 1965.

Does that make me the last of the "Boomers", or an early example of "GenX"...?

Personally I couldn't give a shite - no-one pigeon-holes The XYY Man..!

XYY

Aren't you a shite gobby Northener?

Interestingly no Millennials yet.

Possible explanations:

i) They haveb't got up yet.

ii) They are awake, but having a shag.

iii) They are on Instagram

iv) They can't read so text based sites don't appeal.

Perhaps we need an Instagram style HPC sub topic.

Addendum

v) They haven't yet realised how royally shafted they are.

vi) The gig economy means they are happy living in a shared shed rented by the hour via an app.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Aren't you a shite gobby Northener?

Of course I am Pinny - but that has nowt to do with my date-of-birth...!

XYY

2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Boomer 1946-late 1950s

GenZ 2000-2015

Trouble is you would be missing the tail end of the boom. 1964 was the peak year for births ever. 

Northeneres are proud whether they are, shite, gobby or anything else.

Think we need a vote to establish the divide, I think a line between Bristol and and Skegness should do it.

The only problem is how to deal with Brummies are they Northern, Southern or do they swing both ways.

10 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Northeneres are proud whether they are, shite, gobby or anything else.

Think we need a vote to establish the divide, I think a line between Bristol and and Skegness should do it.

The only problem is how to deal with Brummies are they Northern, Southern or do they swing both ways.

The only one true place is Yorkshire. Yhe line should follow its border. I'm planning on writing to trump asking him whether he would be will to help build a wall

1 minute ago, One-percent said:

Shite goby northerners come in all ages. ;)

You know my se

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

XYY

XYY

XYY

9 minutes ago, One-percent said:

The only one true place is Yorkshire. Yhe line should follow its border. I'm planning on writing to trump asking him whether he would be will to help build a wall

Isn't it a bit late for that?

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Trouble is you would be missing the tail end of the boom. 1964 was the peak year for births ever. 

Odd to think that a good number of boomers were not even alive when the supposedly definitive boomers decade of the 1960s began. In fact many British boomers only experienced the decade as infants or primary school children. Also worth pointing out that the defining British pop acts of the early 1960s the Beatles and the Rolling Stones did not contain a single baby boomer. Bill Wyman was actually born in 1936. 

These lines in the sand are completely arbitrary and conceal huge differences in experience. One of my grand parents was born in 1896 and got to start his working life as a soldier in the trenches on the western front in the Great War. The other was born a decade later and thus got to miss it. Same applies to geography. Immediate post second world war British children were born to austerity but grew up to enjoy relative prosperity and security. Their compatriots in the U.S. largely enjoyed plenty as children but had quite a different experience of young adulthood when many got drafted and sent to Vietnam. 

I selected millennial even though your date says '86 and I was born '84 because as far as I understand it, millennials are all those who came of age after the turn of the millennium.

If by coming of age we mean age 18 then that puts millennials as all those born from '82 onwards. So both gen y and gen z (those born after 2000) come under this term.