House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
deadlyavenger

Philip Hammond nails it...no really

Yes but to be fair a temporary curb on immigration from the A8 would have only delayed the deluge.

Perhaps the plan was to capture the educated and motivated first waves and let the rest of the EU have the dregs. Didn't quite work out though did it?

I agree - this is probably the no1 factor with brexit and the issue rests like a hand on the shoulder of Tony Blair.

But, I am sick of the double standards that are spewing from the EU. Loads of countries put in a Break to stop EE migration. How does that square with a love of FOM? It doesn't it is bull. Absolute bull.

1 hour ago, the gardener said:

Yes but to be fair a temporary curb on immigration from the A8 would have only delayed the deluge.

Perhaps the plan was to capture the educated and motivated first waves and let the rest of the EU have the dregs. Didn't quite work out though did it?

I doubt there was a plan, I was working in the HO at the time and the reality is they massively underestimated the number of people who would come over. We were told to expect up to 10,000 per year.

Well, if were raking over the coals again, Cameron is the main culprit. A few simple reforms of tax credit and benefit eligibility, and all the daily mail outrage would have disappeared.  I suspect his charade of going boating with Merkel and claiming to have won some reforms actually lost a few percent. If he'd never bothered, they might have won it.

45 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I doubt there was a plan, I was working in the HO at the time and the reality is they massively underestimated the number of people who would come over. We were told to expect up to 10,000 per year.

No offence but in that case you're all a bunch of useless, incompetent wankers who couldn't sit the right way on a toilet. Any idiot could tell you that 10,000 a year was a massive underestimate.

43 minutes ago, the gardener said:

No offence but in that case you're all a bunch of useless, incompetent wankers who couldn't sit the right way on a toilet. Any idiot could tell you that 10,000 a year was a massive underestimate.

Yeah but this was government and london centric civil servants I bet.  Have not a clue what is going on in the real world  

Oh, and  it's not their jobs on the line or their wages depressed by the wave of cheap imported labour, so what would they care anyway. 

47 minutes ago, the gardener said:

No offence taken, the estimates came from the governments special advisors, not many people believed them.

Blairs fckwittery has seen the UK out of the EU and Labour destroyed outside of London.

Blair and Brown were a pair if total fckwits.

17 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Blairs fckwittery has seen the UK out of the EU and Labour destroyed outside of London.

Blair and Brown were a pair if total fckwits.

Totally totally agree.  Brown single handedly just LET the LIAR LOANS go on and on and on and on...... And the Property Lobby LOVED IT.   It was the Greatest Financial Fraud of All Time.  Brown was a f^cking clueless idiot --- a MORON of the highest order.... It's him who set the tail wagging the dog --- where people were better off on benefits than work.... Plus he's the one who took house prices out of the inflation figure.....  F&CKING MORON. F&CKING AR$E HOLE. 

Edited by eric pebble

13 minutes ago, Pieman Pieface said:

He's certainly played his part. Decades of Rupert Murdoch hasn't helped either. 

I dont get thid obsession with Rupert Murdoch.

I come from a Northern, blue collar Labour background.

Murdoch has never driven the agenda or politics. His papers reflect them FFS. Hes better at listening to what working british people wsnt and think.

Really blamng Murdoch when youve had the bkair/brown goonshow, followed bywtf Corbyn and his loons. Yeah, its Rupert fault that the left eing unions put a dummy in charge. No, its not. It labours fault. Accept your fckups.

3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I dont get thid obsession with Rupert Murdoch.

I come from a Northern, blue collar Labour background.

Murdoch has never driven the agenda or politics. His papers reflect them FFS. Hes better at listening to what working british people wsnt and think.

Really blamng Murdoch when youve had the bkair/brown goonshow, followed bywtf Corbyn and his loons. Yeah, its Rupert fault that the left eing unions put a dummy in charge. No, its not. It labours fault. Accept your fckups.

Ummm, not convinced that murdoch just reported the news

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/wapping-big-read-8949504

Wapping and the dockers strikes are interesting

Both involved very expensive workers whos power/skillls were usurped by technology.

Printers lost out to computerised typesettingcand printing, decimating demand.

Dockers lost out to cranes and containers.

I still rember the days of loose cargo. A boat would tkes to unload. And a good percetage would dissapear. Over 10 years ftom the mud 70s to mid 80s containers came in and a ship eould be unloaded bya couple of blokes incranes in an afternoon.

Ditto print the mid 80s. Type tge copy in and the layoit would be done by a 20 yo on a computer.

Both docker and printing unions called it worse than the miners did. Neither recognised that their advantage and skill has dissapeared.

Edited by spyguy

8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Wapping and the dockers strikes are interesting

Both involved very expensive workers whos power/skillls were usurped by technology.

Printers lost out to computerised typesettingcand printing, decimating demand.

Dockers lost out to cranes and containers.

I still rember the days of loose cargo. A boat would tkes to unload. And a good percetage would dissapear. Over 10 years ftom the mud 70s to mid 80s containers came in and a ship eould be unloaded bya couple of blokes incranes in an afternoon.

Ditto print the mid 80s. Type tge copy in and the layoit would be done by a 20 yo on a computer.

Both docker and printing unions called it worse than the miners did. Neither recognised that their advantage and skill has dissapeared.

Ah well, let's just go back to dockers lining up at the gate whilst the gaffer goes, you, you and you for today. The rest of youse can pi$$ off home. 

I had a lot of respect for the printers at the time, standing up to an incredibly wealthy oligarch.  Not that it did them much good as fatch was on murdoch's side and brought in the plod 

8 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Ah well, let's just go back to dockers lining up at the gate whilst the gaffer goes, you, you and you for today. The rest of youse can pi$$ off home. 

I had a lot of respect for the printers at the time, standing up to an incredibly wealthy oligarch.  Not that it did them much good as fatch was on murdoch's side and brought in the plod 

Youll never go back to those days. Theres no dockers and theres no gaffers. Both were wiped out by technology/new processes.

The printers did not stand up to to Rupe and Thatcher, they stood up against a computer. Politicians and boses come and go; technology moves forward.

My cousins were the last mjners in the famiky. Both sets were easter leavers in the 70s. Both sets were laid off by Labour. One had started his lifetime job only 2 years before. In my cousins case the mines were mined out with the current tech. Its a lifetime thing. Oly one still mines, he consults round the world.

Zero hours were from labour laws. Another fckeitted bit if thinking.

Zero hour contracts should only apply to people earning 50k plus.

They are totally unsuitsble for low paid workers.

20 minutes ago, One-percent said:

The printers were the most disgusting discriminating and crooked closed shop you can imagine - they were making city lawyer type wages, but without the ethics.

I kid not

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Quite. I did zero hours for years and made great money - it was called freelancing

1 minute ago, knock out johnny said:

The printers were the most disgusting discriminating and crooked closed shop you can imagine - they were making city lawyer type wages, but without the ethics.

I kid not

I'm confused. Lawyers have ethics? 

3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Quite, but look at the pattern. There is a balance to be had. 70s, unions had too much power but I would suggest that it was the only point in history that the working class held any sway.  Before and since, ordinary working people have been and are exploited