House Price Crash Forum

Nissan to review Sunderland plant's competitiveness after Brexit

HOLA441
HOLA442

Please Don't Goooooo!!!

Here have this:

No tax to pay for 10 years!

No National Insurance contributions to pay for 10 years!

£5bn free grant to help settle in with Brexit

£25K Per annum for every UK employee retained for the next 10 years

Free 10% lifetime discount cards at your super markets

HOLA443

This is where we need to get a handle on globalism on a global level. Undoubtably Nissian is crucial to that part of the world but this is sort of corporate leverage seems to be spinning out of control. I wouldn't want a company in France doing this if threatening to leave France for the UK, we're all worse off in the long run - a zero sum game of paying them off today to find them back at the door tomorrow. Diminishing returns for all states in the long haul.

HOLA444
5 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

I wouldn't want a company in France doing this if threatening to leave France for the UK

Don't forget that the French government via Renault has a huge 40% ish stake in Nissan, I suspect there is also a big dose of gallic politics involved as the French would love to remove more manufacturing from the UK.

HOLA445
Just now, ChewingGrass said:

Don't forget that the French government via Renault has a huge 40% ish stake in Nissan, I suspect there is also a big dose of gallic politics involved as the French would love to remove more manufacturing from the UK.

Had no idea of that link. I picked a country at random as a general point. The French don't seem to have got over Napoleon's exile, they'll grow up one day.

HOLA446
8 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Had no idea of that link. I picked a country at random as a general point. The French don't seem to have got over Napoleon's exile, they'll grow up one day.

Which was brought about because Wellington held on until the Prussians arrived.  Napoleon made too many mistakes during Waterloo.

HOLA447
13 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Oh really, what would that mean for exports of French cars to the UK?

HOLA448

Were they not squealing a similar thing 12-18 months ago? 

Yep, here we go, 2015

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/engineering/11842649/Nissan-denies-scare-mongering-over-Brexit-as-it-invests-100m-in-Sunderland-plant.html

lets see how trump's 'put America first' agenda plays out with the globalisation agenda.  

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

This might be the future:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Steyr

Magna Steyr uses its factory to assemble automobiles for other manufacturers on a contract basis.

List of cars made at the plant

Mini Paceman & Countryman, Aston Martin Rapide, Mercedes SLS AMG, E & M Class, Chrysler Voyager & 300C, Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander, BMW X3, SAAB 9-3 Convertible, plus a few others.

The Nissan factory could quite easily make Renault Cars as most of them are the same but most mug punters think a Juke is better than a Captur etc, just like people think an Audi is better than a VW is better than a Skoda is better than a SEAT.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
18 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

This might be the future:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Steyr

Magna Steyr uses its factory to assemble automobiles for other manufacturers on a contract basis.

List of cars made at the plant

Mini Paceman & Countryman, Aston Martin Rapide, Mercedes SLS AMG, E & M Class, Chrysler Voyager & 300C, Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander, BMW X3, SAAB 9-3 Convertible, plus a few others.

The Nissan factory could quite easily make Renault Cars as most of them are the same but most mug punters think a Juke is better than a Captur etc, just like people think an Audi is better than a VW is better than a Skoda is better than a SEAT.

How can you keep a competitive advantage by contracting out manufacturing process? Wont you lose secrecy?

HOLA4419
27 minutes ago, 999house said:

How can you keep a competitive advantage by contracting out manufacturing process? Wont you lose secrecy?

Magna assemble cars from delivered components, once the vehicles are on-sale any tom, dick or harry can buy one and take it apart.

The technological stuff is in the manufacture of the components themselves, a lot of those are outsourced themsleves, making cars is no longer a black art.

HOLA4420

Nissan are marking mays card nice and early. I suspect they were convinced by the tories last year that they would not leave the single market. Now that thats been clearly stated as a virtual certainty nissan have quite a lot of leverage against may as one of her 'early political wins' in the process.

I doubt nissan care as long as the govt put their hands in their pocket. The only real benefit to being in the uk is now being able to avoid eu competition rules etc. I can see this is the way the tories are taking things...start with low taxes...then reduce regulation, workers rights, human rights  etc.

Sod tax. Personally id like to see the uk as an intellectual property free zone. Allow people to use drug designs subject to us patents. The large drug corporations dont allow their drugs to be 'merged' or 'combined' with other companies drugs irrespective of the possible benefits. Society would be better off if they lost their intellectual property rights.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
12 minutes ago, regprentice said:

I doubt nissan care as long as the govt put their hands in their pocket.

Nissan were bankrupt back in 2000 which is why the French got their hands on a large share of the company. Their car range is pretty incomplete and uncompetitive compared to other manufacturers. Renault-Nissan-Dacia-Lada choose your country and pay your brand price.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
1 minute ago, nothernsoul said:

The nissan bosses will have asked for the moon on a stick. Wouldnt you if you knew the british government would do anything to prevent the loss of such a high profile factory being blamed on brexit?

The uk government didn't seem to care when the rest of the manufacturing base was offshore. Why would Nissan be any different?