House Price Crash Forum
Wayward

BBC suggests a solution to housing crisis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38399246

According to the BBC a solution to the housing crisis is for foreigners to move in with boomers and be their general dogs body.

I think it would be preferable if they reported on the real issues around housing affordability, the injustice of this and the causes.  Rather than writing such rubbish.

The BBC has become unbearable.  Along with Ch4 news.

They simply inhabit a different universe to the rest of us.

It's got to the point where somehow they need to be held accountable.  I don't know how though.  A court case about how they are fulfilling their charter?

That could save a student a fair whack of money in a popular city. If it's just companionship, cooking, washing the dishes, putting out the garbage, this sort of thing.. in exchange for free accommodation, it sounds like a fairly good deal and would lessen the demand for BTL. 

It's not a solution to the housing crisis by any means, but it's not a bad idea in itself.

1 hour ago, kzb said:

The BBC has become unbearable.  Along with Ch4 news.

They simply inhabit a different universe to the rest of us.

It's got to the point where somehow they need to be held accountable.  I don't know how though.  A court case about how they are fulfilling their charter?

I watched QT last night for the first time in months. Out of curiosity. 

What a load of cack. Both from the panel and the audience. 

Don't know why anyone in the UK continues to pay the licence fee?

QT should be a vigorous debate. Instead it's populist soundbites with zero depth or analysis.  Utter crap. ?

4 minutes ago, Agentimmo said:

QT should be a vigorous debate. Instead it's populist soundbites with zero depth or analysis.  Utter crap. ?

Because even if the only TV you want to watch live is the Masters on Sky once a year, you MUST pay the fee.

Mine is due now. I really, really don't want to pay it but I can't in all conscience say that no live TV will be watched in the house.

Would posting them a cheque with loads of glittery stuff in the envelope be churlish?

Agree this is awful. In 2010 Dave said compared the economic situation to being at war, and what we're getting from the BBC and other mainstream is the result of probable self censorship and propaganda in the name of the economy, at government request. We are skating on very thin ice of consumer confidence, anything newsworthy which threatens this will be distorted or ignored. I wonder if public confidence in 'property can only go up' is tiring and it's not being pushed as hard, but it may just be a pause for breath. Rolling out London prices everywhere, if people can be conned (think Northern Powerhouse), may be the next move. Then of course London will be a bargain....

16 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

Because even if the only TV you want to watch live is the Masters on Sky once a year, you MUST pay the fee.

Mine is due now. I really, really don't want to pay it but I can't in all conscience say that no live TV will be watched in the house.

Would posting them a cheque with loads of glittery stuff in the envelope be churlish?

Maybe price the licence at, say, £30 a year and concentrate on reporting the news and educational programs like the Open University stuff BBC2 used to air. For sport, only cover minority sports and leagues that don't ask for payments. That would cover the tv needs of 80%  of the population, imo. 

Oh, and no more than 3 tv channels and 4 radio stations necessary. 

31 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

No you dont, if you have the internet and get a smart box like a roku or a now tv you can buy Sky sports for a short stint or even just have an annual sub

Disconnect all the aerials and just watch smart tv stuff. I believe if you dont download the BBC app you are ok.

I might be wrong but this is what I am looking into now cause I am paying for the CNTS and I never watch them or listen to there shitty radio.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/ss/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=content-type&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1370006350329&ssbinary=true

15 minutes ago, Sandwiches33 said:

No you dont, if you have the internet and get a smart box like a roku or a now tv you can buy Sky sports for a short stint or even just have an annual sub

You're supposed to pay the BBC if you watch any live TV at all, which of course is both antiquated and outrageous.

5 minutes ago, RickyD said:

You're supposed to pay the BBC if you watch any live TV at all, which of course is both antiquated and outrageous.

In fact it is live TV or even TV that you recorded live and watch later. If you are happy to watch your rugby the next day you are fine, if not, you need a licence. I can think of a lot better ways to spend £145.50

I'm another who doesn't think this is inherently a bad idea and would help with increased number of students needing somewhere even though it still doesnt fix any deep lying problems for people after leaving uni.

As for the licence fee/tv tax it is £3 per week and subscription channels cant match it for value for money, but the BBCs biased news reporting is risking putting themselves into a corner.

But there is no real housing crisis in the UK though.

Expensive does not mean crisis.

Renting is not a crisis either.

I haven't stepped over a child sleeping rough in the street, yet.

And haven't noticed anybody starving to death.

Why do people in the UK insist on living way beyond their pay scales and social standing?

Perhaps that is more akin to a 'crisis' than housing; unrealistic expectations and entitlement. Plus UK greed & stupidity creating a growing legion of type 2 diabetic whingers.

An earthquake, pandemic, war, economic collapse, etc... are examples of crisis.

According to the BBC a solution to the housing crisis is for foreigners to move in with boomers and be their general dogs body.

It sounds as if they're desperate to find ways to accommodate at least part of Merkel's Undocumented Migrant Millions.

The Barmy Broadcasting Corporation is truly the barmiest broadcaster of them all.

Edited by billybong

1 hour ago, Agentimmo said:

Maybe price the licence at, say, £30 a year and concentrate on reporting the news and educational programs like the Open University stuff BBC2 used to air. For sport, only cover minority sports and leagues that don't ask for payments. That would cover the tv needs of 80%  of the population, imo. 

Oh, and no more than 3 tv channels and 4 radio stations necessary. 

But it's the news/current affairs that I find most unbearable.

Although the constant requirement to tick all boxes in all drama is a close second.  BBC4 is a worthwhile channel I think.  Maybe that would be worth a few quid a year.

Sons and daughters of BBC tax troughers first.

The Bankrupt Broadcasting Corporation have already had way too much to say already - pumping pretty much all the attempts by govt, others and their own bias to keep debt flowing and the flow of additional bodies that have combined to cause this crisis.

page 5 in the doc i posted mentions that now tv is not a license able activity. It is very unclear.

Technically its not live tv its a stream but I might be wrong Ill look into it.

I am going to ring them, I will post my findings.

1 hour ago, Agentimmo said:

QT like Panorama and various other current affairs programs are produced by Mentorn Media. Here is their program list

http://www.mentorn.tv/programmes/?filter=c-1114

They are owned by the Tinopolis Group

http://www.tinopolis.com/television/

When you look at all the different programs under their umbrella they have a great opportunity to shape minds. 

2 hours ago, Mr Banks said:

Isn't this taking us back to the days of live in servants? What happened to progress?

Agreed. Domestic staff should be paid AND room and board included. Working in return for accommodation is slave labour.

39 minutes ago, nightowl said:

I'm another who doesn't think this is inherently a bad idea and would help with increased number of students needing somewhere even though it still doesnt fix any deep lying problems for people after leaving uni.

As for the licence fee/tv tax it is £3 per week and subscription channels cant match it for value for money, but the BBCs biased news reporting is risking putting themselves into a corner.

I think netflix and Amazon prime destroy the license fee for value for money in TV terms.

Things I watch on the BBC:

* University challenge

* only.connect

* occasional Nordic imports on BBC

That's about 40 hours of TV per year. 4 pounds per hour.

And since they lost F1 and MotoGP/ world Superbike,  that's it, unless it's an Olympic year.

Netflix and Amazon prime, I probably watch those two for a combined 250 hours per year.  They are 5x better value for me.

38 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

But there is no real housing crisis in the UK though.

Expensive does not mean crisis.

Renting is not a crisis either.

I haven't stepped over a child sleeping rough in the street, yet.

And haven't noticed anybody starving to death.

Why do people in the UK insist on living way beyond their pay scales and social standing?

Perhaps that is more akin to a 'crisis' than housing; unrealistic expectations and entitlement. Plus UK greed & stupidity creating a growing legion of type 2 diabetic whingers.

An earthquake, pandemic, war, economic collapse, etc... are examples of crisis.

I agree the word 'crisis ' is not ideal...It suggests an emergency that couldn't have been foreseen whereas what we have is the consequence of deliberate policy and totally foreseeable.  No London isn't Calcutta or anything like it (I know I spent a month there) but it is on that trajectory in terms of conditions for folks at the bottom of the heap.  No being relatively poor and getting poorer whilst watching the existing wealthy get richer isn't a 'crisis' but it is unjust and should be resisted.