House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Melbourne vehicle attack

Three people have died and up to 20 are injured after a car struck pedestrians in central Melbourne, emergency services have confirmed.

Some of those being treated have serious injuries, Ambulance Victoria said.

A man has been arrested and "the situation is now contained", police said.

The incident happened at a busy intersection, Bourke Street and Queen St, just before 14:00 (03:00 GMT).

"The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are yet to be determined and we will provide further information when it comes to hand," police said.

Police requested that people avoid the area.

The Australian Open tennis event, being played about 2km (1.2 miles) away, was unaffected, police said.

Former Victoria Police chief Christine Nixon said she saw an overturned pram at the scene. She told the ABC a woman approached her and asked where the child was.

"I don't know," Ms Nixon said. "The child is not in the pram."

Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital confirmed it was treating four patients.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38685972

Very sad state of affairs.

I guess if vehicles are now seen as an effective option for indiscriminate attacks in public spaces, due to the ease of acquiring the use of one, maybe we'll be able to get an idea of exactly how many attacks were being foiled in the background by security services when other methods were in vogue. I am assuming that acquiring the other equipment like military hard wear or particular chemicals involved a certain window for detection that doesn't exist anymore. One of Govt's oft cited reasons for eroding civil liberties is ' you don't know how many plots have been foiled by using this intrusive technique'. Might we expect to see more attacks if all that is required is the use of a private vehicle?

edit just to add I'm not trying to preempt the motives in this particular incident, just speaking more generally in light of other recent known terrorist events.

There is a video online from a witness saying that he was driving around shouting Alan's snackbar. There is also a video of him driving around and around in circles at the junction, leaning out of the window and shouting but there is a news report talking over it so you cannot hear what he is saying.

The police say he is of greek origin. They say that he had kidnapped someone earlier. That they had been pursuing him but had stoppe due to safety concerns.

Edit: The video of him doing circles is apparently after he had run people over.

On the radio news they said this was a revenge attack related to an earlier stabbing so may be gang / drug related.

Caveat that this was the BBC but the police were linking the two so it does sound plausible that it wasn't terrorism.

Edit: just seen TMT's post; I won't amend mine but it's all about the news they leave out; glad I put the caveat.

24 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Video of the aftermath - do not watch if you don't want to see some gruesome images of injured people. Some of the people in this video are no longer with us.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9be_1484890755

That videos a bit creepy. He's clearly walking about with phone in his hand by his side pretending not to be filming it.

1 minute ago, ccc said:

That videos a bit creepy. He's clearly walking about with phone in his hand by his side pretending not to be filming it.

I suppose he does not wish to be accused of being goulish. People can get very nasty seeing someone film in those situations.

I am glad that he did because it shows the horror aftermath and cannot be denied. Otherwise it is just words reported on the radio/TV, distant.

******ing hell! Same as with the Lauderdale shooter - the motive is never in doubt. 

With regards to plots being foiled - anyone notice the uptick in 'WWII devices' being found in major cities, resulting in mass evacuations?

16 minutes ago, frozen_out said:

******ing hell! Same as with the Lauderdale shooter - the motive is never in doubt. 

With regards to plots being foiled - anyone notice the uptick in 'WWII devices' being found in major cities, resulting in mass evacuations?

Yep, I was thinking the same thing last night. Suddenly a load of WW2 bombs being found not just in the UK but across Europe.

They probably will find a Luftwaffe bomb in Oz soon.

That's a turnup for the books. Listening to the BBC news at 08:00 today they made it clear that there was no terrorist motive. I assume the narrative now moves onto 'lone nutjob with a history of mental health problems, nuthin to see here' territory. 

2 minutes ago, newbonic said:

That's a turnup for the books. Listening to the BBC news at 08:00 today they made it clear that there was no terrorist motive. I assume the narrative now moves onto 'lone nutjob with a history of mental health problems, nuthin to see here' territory. 

Isn't talking to imaginary friends a key sign of mental health problems?  

1 minute ago, Bossybabe said:

Predictably. 

The passers-by are to be congratulated for calmly helping the casualties. No sign of panic there. 

Yes. Heroes. In that video you can see people talking to/trying to reassure the victims.