House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Boomers want everyone else to pay more

3 minutes ago, jfk said:

What will be the proportion of those working and paying taxes voting 'Yes' compared to those not-working and voting 'yes' .... ?

Who knows...has the smell of rigging to me.  Surrey is full ogf rich boomer types.

They will wheel it out there...and win...then wheel it out all round the country.

Council taxes will rise 15% and 10% going into the councils pockets, i suspect, and 5% going to the people who've had more than their fare share of everything.

Presumably the social care referred to is for those people who are below the threshold of assets to qualify for free care. The "boomers" who you refer to would surely have to pay for their own care so it appears that rather than them wanting everyone else to pay more they will be paying for the social care of this group as well as their own.

7 minutes ago, crouch said:

Presumably the social care referred to is for those people who are below the threshold of assets to qualify for free care. The "boomers" who you refer to would surely have to pay for their own care so it appears that rather than them wanting everyone else to pay more they will be paying for the social care of this group as well as their own.

They've had ever advantage in life and now they want everyone else to pay EVEN more.

These people are not my responsibility,  How do people feed their own chuldren if the boomers are bleeding them dry ?

I think this is more about the councils taking more for themselves and not wanting to make actual cuts.

13 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

They've had ever advantage in life and now they want everyone else to pay EVEN more.

These people are not my responsibility,  How do people feed their own chuldren if the boomers are bleeding them dry ?

I think this is more about the councils taking more for themselves and not wanting to make actual cuts.

Indeed but won't the boomers themselves have to pay this increase in CT ; they will have to pay the increase as well as everyone else; they will not be exempt? Presumably the care to be funded is for those that cannot afford their own care. What alternative are you suggesting for those that cannot afford care?

7 minutes ago, crouch said:

Indeed but won't the boomers themselves have to pay this increase in CT ; they will have to pay the increase as well as everyone else; they will not be exempt? Presumably the care to be funded is for those that cannot afford their own care. What alternative are you suggesting for those that cannot afford care?

The boomers who are now in care ?   I doubt that.

My point is....at what point does the UK stop thowing resources at council workers and the old and start throwing resources at wealth generation and the young !!!

It's obscene to ask one generation to give up everything for a generation that's had much more than their fair share.

As I have heard it today, the council will be sending out (and collecting) increased bills from this April - before the referendum has taken place. We will then be expected to reclaim it from the council next year should the referendum result go against the council.

So even if the result is negative, the council have got me to lend it £450 interest free for at least a year (and I am sure reclaiming it won't be that easy!)

When I told my assistant she would be lending the council £250 quid, her comments were most unladylike.

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

You don't need a huge amount of assets to have to pay for your own care.  

IIRC it's about £23,500.  

And contrary to popular belief, it's not a simple matter of squirrelling your assets away, or giving them away, in order to avoid paying for care.  Councils are usually extremely  eagle-eyed on deliberate deprivation of assets, and with very good reason.  

On 1/19/2017 at 3:36 PM, ThePiltdownMan said:

You can smell a rat when they single out one specific thing that the tax is for but there's no certainty that it will actually all go to that.

+1

To be reneged on shortly after the vote on the basis that they still can't afford it or some other spurious excuse.  

People will only find that out when they come to claim - it'll be oh no that was 2017 and the rules have changed countless times since then - so cough up (again)

Edited by billybong