House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BandWagon

How To Be A Property Developer

Property developer Gary McCausland follows the progress of two pairs of friends trying to make money from buying and selling property.

Amanda and Tracey go head to head with their builder - and each other; and Jem and Dave's hopes of making a mint may be in tatters.

Enjoy...

Edited by BandWagon

Is this one of those repeats filmed 2 years ago or is it actually a recent event?

Anyone else heard that advert on talksport? "Do you what a successful property portfolio? blah blah blah" must be plenty of idiots out there.

Is this one of those repeats filmed 2 years ago or is it actually a recent event?

Anyone else heard that advert on talksport? "Do you what a successful property portfolio? blah blah blah" must be plenty of idiots out there.

From previous threads on prior weeks, I think this has been dated around the middle of 2005, so fairly relevant.

NDL

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it!!!! A scouser would NOT have paid £160K for a terrace house in Penny Lane! It's a student area and the pub Gary was outside (when it panned to the PENNY LANE STREET SIGN) is rough as PHUCK!!

I just knew when I seen the sold price it had to be someone from outside the city.

Liverpool is being propped up by outside buyers/investors.

When these have gone LIVERPOOL IS GOING TO BANG

BIG TIME!!!

TB

It said the Liverpool property was sold to an Irish businesswoman who paid full asking price. FULL ASKING price ? I ask you. What kind of business is she in ? She didn't even attempt to negotiate - she paid the full asking price. Incredible.

I know someone buying a house in liverpool to rent out, probably to students.

You guys think this is a bad idea, I have no idea how much she is coughing up for the place as yet.

You guys think this is a bad idea, I have no idea how much she is coughing up for the place as yet.

I think it is a terrible, terrible idea.

This is purely based on my own experiences, which is buying, renovating and renting houses to students... In Liverpool.

I'd rather the amateurs stay well away, they are f***ing it up for the serious investors.

I think it is a terrible, terrible idea.

This is purely based on my own experiences, which is buying, renovating and renting houses to students... In Liverpool.

I'd rather the amateurs stay well away, they are f***ing it up for the serious investors.

Oops forgot to include the "<SARCASM mode=on> </SARCASM>" tags

The area is SATURATED with student accommodation.

Its a risk but its her choice. Renters in Liverpool have a plethora of properties to rent. This means that the rent market will have to be competitively priced. EG. Kings Dock 70ft x 22" ground floor apartment with patio area to the dock area (nice clean water) is only £475 p.c.m. or a 2 bed terrace in Wavertree at £160K presume 20% deposit for £128K equals £530 Interest Only.

So dya reckon its worth trying to ask £600+ p.c.m. in not the best area? I know where I would rent. Nice trendy apartment a WALK from the City Centre!!!

TB

Teddyboy, what sort of gross yield would this "businesswoman" be getting on her investment?

Give us some idea of the costs etc involved, I'd love to know how this stacks up (or down)

Teddyboy, what sort of gross yield would this "businesswoman" be getting on her investment?

Give us some idea of the costs etc involved, I'd love to know how this stacks up (or down)

I know jack-sh*t about yields etc. What I can tell you is the sort of people that rent in that area are 3-4 people to a 3 bed-terraced. I dunno if £150 per person is a fair price to pay when you share with 3 others?

What I do know is we have a massive university that also has HIGH QUALITY JMU Student accommodation. There are other technical colleges in the city and we have our fair share of students. I think 2-3 years ago there was a market for student accommodation - today I think its a VERY BIG risk as there are THOUSANDS of properties that are rented. An area called LARK LANE is a great drinking area and is situated around a local park 'Sefton Park'. These have massive houses that can accommodate 8 - 12 large student flats. There are to-let signs all over these and have been for many many months. I presume (I dont know) that rental figures are dropping in order to fill the accommodation.

To use a common phrase - I think BTL's have 'missed the boat'

TB

close by examples:

http://www.propertyfinder.com/2/pf/propert...ailsKey=7137820

http://www.propertyfinder.com/2/pf/propert...ailsKey=7263093

http://www.propertyfinder.com/2/pf/propert...ailsKey=7216009

Edited by teddyboy

I know jack-sh*t about yields etc. What I can tell you is the sort of people that rent in that area are 3-4 people to a 3 bed-terraced. I dunno if £150 per person is a fair price to pay when you share with 3 others?

What I do know is we have a massive university that also has HIGH QUALITY JMU Student accommodation. There are other technical colleges in the city and we have our fair share of students. I think 2-3 years ago there was a market for student accommodation - today I think its a VERY BIG risk as there are THOUSANDS of properties that are rented. An area called LARK LANE is a great drinking area and is situated around a local park 'Sefton Park'. These have massive houses that can accommodate 8 - 12 large student flats. There are to-let signs all over these and have been for many many months. I presume (I dont know) that rental figures are dropping in order to fill the accommodation.

To use a common phrase - I think BTL's have 'missed the boat'

We rent rooms at between £50 and £55 a week. Typical property price is £95k (4 lettable rooms) but will value up to over 120k. Also purchase in other areas at around 80k. Yields on these properties are between 8% and 12%.

Rental demand is EXTREMELY strong in our areas.

If you don't know jack-st*t about yields then perhaps you should not be speaking about the rental opportunities or lack of them in Liverpool!!!

If you don't know jack-st*t about yields then perhaps you should not be speaking about the rental opportunities or lack of them in Liverpool!!!

Well I DID NOT say about LIVERPOOL I was stating PENNY LANE where I live VERY CLOSE too!

80K houses - you must have got suckered into that KENSINGTON is an up and coming area crap.

I WILL SAY WHAT I LIKE - I have quoted fact and provided links.

IF YOU WANT TO BTL IN LIVERPOOL - PLEASE COME ON IN!!!

From a LOCAL I have stated the prices - the choice is yours.

I will refrain from saying what I really feel about BTL_MAKING_MONEY, but who do the rest believe? A speculator or a realist?

TB

Well I DID NOT say about LIVERPOOL I was stating PENNY LANE where I live VERY CLOSE too!

80K houses - you must have got suckered into that KENSINGTON is an up and coming area crap.

I WILL SAY WHAT I LIKE - I have quoted fact and provided links.

IF YOU WANT TO BTL IN LIVERPOOL - PLEASE COME ON IN!!!

From a LOCAL I have stated the prices - the choice is yours.

I will refrain from saying what I really feel about BTL_MAKING_MONEY, but who do the rest believe? A speculator or a realist?

TB

Your earlier comments about the to-let signs around sefton park - there are probably more "for sale" signs. Also, student lets are seasonal so do not presume just because a property has a "to let" sign up that it is vacant. We have to let signs up all year round as it is cheap advertising.

It said the Liverpool property was sold to an Irish businesswoman who paid full asking price. FULL ASKING price ? I ask you. What kind of business is she in ? She didn't even attempt to negotiate - she paid the full asking price. Incredible.

She may have just sold in Ireland..

think about that..

If she had, then she moved to liverpool..

She would have had equity falling out of her..

I have friends who don't care about house prices..

BECAUSE THEY DON@T SEE EQUITY AS PROFIT..

then they would buy as they sell..

If prices dropped they wouldn't care either..

We have to let signs up all year round as it is cheap advertising.

Naughty naughty!!

Quick! Somebody cut and paste this to Liverpool's planning office - hopefully he'll come up before a magistrate who's kids want to buy a house....

Edited by Leodhasach

Naughty naughty!!

Quick! Somebody cut and paste this to Liverpool's planning office - hopefully he'll come up before a magistrate who's kids want to buy a house....

Heh didn't know it was illegal :lol:

Seriously though just because there are to let signs up do not mean the houses are empty - we need to find about 50/50 new students for our houses for next academic year but are all rented now.