House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Useless PayByPhone parking

Visiting my dentist in a residential suburb of London last week, I discovered not only was free parking non-existent but the council has rendered parking machines obsolete in favour of "PayByPhone parking" - coming soon across the country.

lbb+2.jpg

So if you need to park up for 10 minutes in a side street (or council car park), you'll need to waste 7 minutes of your time on the phone and make sure none of the following applies:

1. You don't own a mobile 
2. You forget your mobile 
3. You don't have a credit card 
4. You don't carry a credit card 
5. You run out of mobile credit 
6. No signal 
7. Network is down 
8. Mobile battery is dead 
9. Some idiot has destroyed the poster 
10. You are driving a rental/ loan car and hence can't register it on the system as you don't own it/ it's already registered.
11. You forgot your reading glasses.
12. you are voice-impaired or deaf
13. you need to claim back the parking as a business expense

etc.

Yes, this must breach some kind of age discrimination legislation.

I had to use it at a railway station car park where there was no other option. Whilst it worked fine for me my elderly relatives would have found it impossible and then have got caught for the fine for entering the car park in the first place.

I'm surprised that Age UK or Saga haven't launched a class action.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I had to use it at a railway station car park where there was no other option. Whilst it worked fine for me my elderly relatives would have found it impossible and then have got caught for the fine for entering the car park in the first place.

I think there also needs to be a test-case where a driver insists on the right to pay in cash.

22 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

I think there also needs to be a test-case where a driver insists on the right to pay in cash.

Cash should always be an option for paying for anything you're physically present for. It is the only form of payment it is reasonable to expect people to have on them.

27 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Fining for entering the car park doesn't sound enforceable (if nothing else what if it turns out there aren't any spaces?)

Not just for elderly relatives, I do not possess a mobile phone, they're something I neither have any desire to possess or any practical use for, and trying to change the world to make it more impractical to have one just p1sses me off.

I'm surprised there wasn't a ticket machine anywhere.

On the flip side of the argument I think these are run by a company called 'ringgo' and you can also set up a profile and pay online or through an app. I've found it incredibly useful for train station parking where I can pay online the night before then just dump the car without worrying in the morning. 

51 minutes ago, frozen_out said:

I've found it incredibly useful for train station parking where I can pay online the night before then just dump the car without worrying in the morning. 

What if there was no space?

Wandsworth, the local council have tried to get this up and running over the last few years, can only think it's been a failure as they have now replaced all the signs and machines. You can now pay at the machine in cash or debt/credit card. 

32 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

What if there was no space?

It's tough luck. Personally I wouldn't recommend paying in advance unless you are totally sure you know a space will be available and that your car won't breakdown on the way etc.

I wasted quite a bit of time once trying to buy a ticket for a short stay using the documented SMS format. It kept giving me cryptic error messages (and charging me for messages). Eventually, in desperation, I just tried the whole day ticket text message format - and it worked. Flippin' expensive though.

3 hours ago, londislagerhound said:

And of course they get all sorts of lovely data, and you don't get a ticket to pass to someone else on the way out.

I hate modern life in so many ways, I really do.

Me too, and my least favourite phrase 'there's an app for that'.

It's even infringing on the most simple of life's duties.

Bloody hall, we're talking about paying a Pay and Display, not shagging your wife or doing something really enjoyable. It's weird to see people lamenting the passing of the ticket machine.

I appreciate London's a different world to the rest of the UK,  but surely even there it must be possible to find a dentist with a free private car park?

Assuming there is I'd change dentist just to avoid the buggeration factor.

They have had this way of paying for parking in LBB for some time....parking all around that area is now a nightmare, puts you off driving to certain places unless you plan ahead and know how and where to park, is that in Finchley Central?......There is no way I could pay for my parking there so that parking area does not exist for me....Would have to change my dentist.;)

2 hours ago, frozen_out said:

Bloody hall, we're talking about paying a Pay and Display, not shagging your wife or doing something really enjoyable. It's weird to see people lamenting the passing of the ticket machine.

Just try and use one of the bloody things. They were introduced in a car park I use on a semi regular basis about five years ago.  I'm normally ok with tech stuff on the consumer level but the intricacies of it challenged me so much I've never used that car park again. Or any other spot where I have to try and engage with it. The details are in the dim and distant past but I do remember frustration and a long telephone conversation with a call centre to get it set up.  Mega late for a meeting because of it.

now, I just avoid anywhere this has been introduced.  Easy in London.  It's almost as if they want to shut down town centres and drive us all to the out of town sheds. 

2 minutes ago, winkie said:

They have had this way of paying for parking in LBB for some time....parking all around that area is now a nightmare, puts you off driving to certain places unless you plan ahead and know how and where to park, is that in Finchley Central?......There is no way I could pay for my parking there so that parking area does not exist for me....Would have to change my dentist.;)

My experience that I cross posted with you was in High Barnet. Same borough as Finchley? 

1 minute ago, One-percent said:

My experience that I cross posted with you was in High Barnet. Same borough as Finchley? 

Yes......Bottle neck, and all the way down A1000 now parking if not difficult to park difficult and expensive to pay....lots of flats going up, more traffic and more conjestion, a shadow of how it used to be....and they call it progress....not.;)

9 minutes ago, winkie said:

Yes......Bottle neck, and all the way down A1000 now parking if not difficult to park difficult and expensive to pay....lots of flats going up, more traffic and more conjestion, a shadow of how it used to be....and they call it progress....not.;)

Replicated right across London sadly. 

4 hours ago, frozen_out said:

Individually they're minor pointless stupid annoyances but they add up.

10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm currently ignoring a £100 fine for entering a car park and being faced with this but without a phone. Large car park, walked around looking for a pay meter, 5-10 mins. Photographed entering and leaving. Now at the threat of solicitors, escalating fees and court action. Hey ho. My personality means I won't pay the £100, so will get lumbered with more threats and escalating fines - fool to myself perhaps. I now just hate the UK's pay a 'landowner' to live culture. Still, I can add the letters to the  pile of letters to get a TV license.

24 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I'm currently ignoring a £100 fine for entering a car park and being faced with this but without a phone. Large car park, walked around looking for a pay meter, 5-10 mins. Photographed entering and leaving. Now at the threat of solicitors, escalating fees and court action. Hey ho. My personality means I won't pay the £100, so will get lumbered with more threats and escalating fines - fool to myself perhaps. I now just hate the UK's pay a 'landowner' to live culture. Still, I can add the letters to the  pile of letters to get a TV license.

I may be wrong but I think you can't get away with ignoring parking fines as easily as was once possible, but I'd really hope that entering, not finding a means of paying, then leaving after having tried would be a valid reason - but you'd have to fight it, and not contesting it earlier may not help (or I may be talking crap).

5 hours ago, LiveinHope said:

That is disgraceful behaviour. There was a controversial piece of legislation passed a couple of years ago which allowed private firms access to the DVLA keeper database, might be wrong but I suspect it was in tandem with the ban on private clamping. Sounds like you have been a victim of this, but hopefully you get the fair result. Total pisstake that this sort of situation can arise at all.

7 hours ago, LiveinHope said:

Don't pay it but as Riedquat said do have a google for the way to play it.

The old strategy of ignore until the final threat and then say "take me to court" whereupon you never hear from them again (which did work, I helped somebody to do it) may no longer be the best one so do have a check as I think the law has been strengthened as too many people were catching on to this.