House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38650596

Arron Banks, the former UKIP donor who bankrolled the campaign for Britain to leave the European Union, is making a move into the media sector by backing an anti-establishment news website that launches tomorrow.

I can reveal that Westmonster is co-owned by Michael Heaver, former press adviser to Nigel Farage. The 27-year-old, who together with Mr Banks will own 50% of the website, will edit it day to day. 

Modelled on the Drudge Report, the American aggregator site that generates huge traffic, Westmonster will be powered by the social media reach of Leave.EU, the campaign to which Mr Banks gave close to £7m - the largest donation in British political history. 

Leave.EU has nearly 800,000 followerson Facebook and Mr Heaver believes he can use that base to generate substantial traffic from day one.

Westmonster will publish some original news, and Mr Heaver hopes to enlist more celebrity writers than backbench MPs. 

The site will launch with an article from Nigel Farage, and Mr Heaver is open about wanting to ape the opinionated, anti-establishment, highly provocative tone of Breitbart.

This launch is significant for several reasons. It shows that the anti-establishment media which helped to power the campaign of Donald Trump is coming to Britain. 

It's no coincidence that Westmonster is launching the day before Mr Trump's inauguration - an event that will be attended, almost alone among Brits, by Nigel Farage, Arron Banks, and Mr Banks's business associate Andy Wigmore, who are together hosting a celebratory party on Saturday night in a hotel across the road from the White House. 

Banks has booked out an entire floor of the Hay-Adams Hotel on Saturday night, and - logistics permitting - the plan is for the new President to attend, along with his close friend the Governor of Mississippi, Phil Bryant.

We are getting are very own version of Breitbart!

Nigel Farage is also involved and will pen the first article. 

Maybe this is the news channel we need, how long before it is slandered and branded "fake news"?

No "news" site will be anti-establishment, whatever that means.

Punch magazine ended, and I don't like Private Eye.:huh: Viz tells it like it is.

I thought we already had our own fake news website in the BBC; filling the space between its self-generated articles on the Great British Bake Off, Strictly Come Dancing, and Children in Need with slurs about Brexit and Trump, support for Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama, understating immigration, burying stories of crime by immigrants, and pumping out outright propaganda lies like Clock Boy.

6 hours ago, workingpoor said:

Nigel Farage is also involved and will pen the first article. 

Maybe this is the news channel we need, how long before it is slandered and branded "fake news"?

Trump played a blinder by turning the fake news term on its head. I think the MSM have realised the game is up on that particular term. 

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Trump played a blinder by turning the fake news term on its head. I think the MSM have realised the game is up on that particular term. 

And the SJWs at the BBC are trying to turn it back mockingly on Trump. You started it you f%%king idiots.

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

And the SJWs at the BBC are trying to turn it back mockingly on Trump. You started it you f%%king idiots.

Bill Bailey's been taking the highlighting that attitude for years (he takes the piss far more in live performances but can't find a better version on youtube :ph34r:):

9 hours ago, workingpoor said:

I will certainly be adding 'Westmonster' to my list of sites to visit daily.

Doubtless they will be accused of being funded by the Kremlin at some point. 

9 hours ago, workingpoor said:

I hope not, the last thing we need is a jewish run pseudo anti-establishment "divide and conquer" news site.

What's telling is that Breitbart did not appear on that infamous list of "fake news" sites, only real anti-establishment sites appeared on there.

1 minute ago, The Eagle said:

What's telling is that Breitbart did not appear on that infamous list of "fake news" sites, only real anti-establishment sites appeared on there.

No, but the uproar from the SJWs and others when Trump appointed Bannon as 'chief strategist and Senior Counselor' to the President was deafening.

He is anti-establishment as far as the SJW/Left establishment is concerned.

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Bill Bailey's been taking the highlighting that attitude for years (he takes the piss far more in live performances but can't find a better version on youtube :ph34r:):

Absolutely, the BBC think they  are the Way, the Truth and the Light up against the false prophets of Fox and Rt. And any dissenters are uneducated  white heathens.

We have lift off:

http://www.westmonster.com/majority-cheer-on-single-market-exit-2/

Rather sweet though it is of Tim Farron, Ed Miliband and others to worry that the silly little people who voted for Brexit didn’t know what they were doing, it is quite clear that they are on this, as ever, wrong.

Sky News poll shows that a majority of the country did indeed know what they were voting for and still back the single market exit we are now thankfully heading for as a nation.

That’s despite wall-to-wall bitching and whining from Remoaners that this will lead to economic hardship (just as Leave supposedly meant recession) when in reality, it will be the Brexit the country voted for.

When will the Remoaners stop living like it’s Groundhog Day June 22nd and wake up to the new world they find themselves in? Get in guys, the water’s lovely.

Shame that the site appears to have been designed by a monkey for tablet viewing.

I'm on a large widescreen monitor and the actual site is using a tiny proportion of the middle of the screen.

33 minutes ago, Errol said:

Shame that the site appears to have been designed by a monkey for tablet viewing.

I'm on a large widescreen monitor and the actual site is using a tiny proportion of the middle of the screen.

Nope it's equally as terrible on tablet and mobile. 

3 minutes ago, Errol said:

wtf are they doing? Did they go out and hire the worst web designers in the whole world?

The site design looks OK to me. They should have had some better content for the launch though, it looks like barely more that a facebook fan page.

9 minutes ago, Errol said:

wtf are they doing? Did they go out and hire the worst web designers in the whole world?

Nah, they work for poverty118 where only a quarter of the page is text and the rest of the page is in garish blue and orange with added annoying blinky bits. 

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The site design looks OK to me. They should have had some better content for the launch though, it looks like barely more that a facebook fan page.

Agree. I looked at the Farage bit and wondered where the article was. I assumed the bit shown was just an introduction.

They are trying to be an aggregator, like Drudge.

I don't think it's gonna work, there's not enough sites out there discussing those sorts of issues to need collating.

Also, where are the comments?

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

It is utter crap design wise. When adjusting the padding would make a big difference, you know it's time to sack the web designer.

It'll be  a standard shite template that people use. Looked at one today that's not had all the bits tweaked so still lots of http://www.lipsum.com/ text on it.