House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

The Glenlivet 15 Year Old French Oak Reserve

We've just opened a bottle of this which I bought the wife as a Christmas present.

I need to put the cork back in the bottle as otherwise we'll regret it in the morning. It's an extremely drinkable whisky, complex flavours, not too overpowering, and the level of Oak is spot on.

This needs to be posted to your Facebook page immediately accompanied by a picture of said whisky.

Less facetiously, I fancy trying some. I shall attempt to memorise the name of it.

I like Glenlivet too though have only Laphroig open at the moment. Savour it ML.

How fondly though I recall Glenturret before the Japs took over and it still tasted of honey. Nothing like that nowadays unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, DTMark said:

This needs to be posted to your Facebook page immediately accompanied by a picture of said whisky.

Less facetiously, I fancy trying some. I shall attempt to memorise the name of it.

No please, stick with the facetiousness. A thread away we're talking £5000 mattresses. When did HPC OT become decadence.com?

PS : just realised I was given some of this for crimbo. I don't like whisky.

11 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

No please, stick with the facetiousness. A thread away we're talking £5000 mattresses. When did HPC OT become decadence.com?

I didn't say the mattress cost £5k, that also included the bed.  Theory is I spend longer in bed than in the car (except when I have to drive to Manchester in the rush hour).

It's funny how we all attach our own values - including in price terms - to things. That sideboard for about £685 in that oak furniture advert seems hilarious to me.

But then £215 for a turntable stylus (just that bit, not the whole cartridge) seems hilarious to others.

I've used the oak furniture metaphor to visualise an image to remember the name of this whisky. Can you get it in Sainsbury's or do I need to use those vouchers we got for Christmas in the "Majestic Wine Warehouse" place?

4 minutes ago, DTMark said:

It's funny how we all attach our own values - including in price terms - to things. That sideboard for about £685 in that oak furniture advert seems hilarious to me.

But then £215 for a turntable stylus (just that bit, not the whole cartridge) seems hilarious to others.

I've used the oak furniture metaphor to visualise an image to remember the name of this whisky. Can you get it in Sainsbury's or do I need to use those vouchers we got for Christmas in the "Majestic Wine Warehouse" place?

Our bottle was from Waitrose, it's reasonably available and you can definitely get it for less after Christmas. Lowest on the internet is about £35, most stores it's £40.

40 minutes ago, DTMark said:

It is probably worth spending £600 learning how to make oak cabinets, buy the tools and then start knocking them out for yourself and making a good living.

44 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Our bottle was from Waitrose, it's reasonably available and you can definitely get it for less after Christmas. Lowest on the internet is about £35, most stores it's £40.

My late father was very much into whisky. I used to get him moderately expensive bottles as birthday treats. Last one was an Isle of Jura one.

Since I follow his "patterns" I suspect I shall get into this some day. Indeed I started a thread about it some time ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenlivet-Year-Scotch-Malt-Whisky/dp/B003WIEKNA

Added to Wish List.

If you haven't seen "The Angels' Share" - good film, worth seeing. Even if some of the dialog is almost unintelligible.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1924394/

Amazon regularly have lightning deals on whisky. There was a point last year when, for several weeks, there were several a day. Worth keeping an eye on.

None at the moment though - suspect the big sale was in the Autumn Xmas run-up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/deals/ref=gbps_ftr_s-3_26c1_dlt_DOTD?gb_f_GB-SUPPLE=enforcedCategories:358583031,sortOrder:BY_SCORE&pf_rd_p=23ae9ed5-1f81-48e2-bda6-9cc95cfc26c1&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=5H2GWXXJD5NVRP7EBWMK

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Amazon regularly have lightning deals on whisky. There was a point last year when, for several weeks, there were several a day. Worth keeping an eye on.

None at the moment though - suspect the big sale was in the Autumn Xmas run-up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/deals/ref=gbps_ftr_s-3_26c1_dlt_DOTD?gb_f_GB-SUPPLE=enforcedCategories:358583031,sortOrder:BY_SCORE&pf_rd_p=23ae9ed5-1f81-48e2-bda6-9cc95cfc26c1&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=5H2GWXXJD5NVRP7EBWMK

Maybe after the 25th.

2 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

To take us away from decadence, I was given some 'Famous Grouse' and some other stuff*.  I'm looking at them now (they're on top of the cupboard which hides the booze), thinking 'at what point would I want to open either of them'.  I guess I'm not a whisky drinker.  So why did they come to me as presents?  I can only think that it relates to the '10% of people drink all the booze' thread -- people who drink quite a bit can't really understand that I'll only drink a whisky on a rare occasion, and not finish off a bottle a month as they seem to be able to do.

*you know, the sort of highly blended whisky which is always advertised on TV in foreign lands as the best sort of whisky, and which friends in those foreign lands bring out of the cabinet as though it is a rare treat, but which no-one in Scotland (or anywhere else in the UK) has heard of, and actually tastes quite bland.

Eds to add -- but thinking about it, if I drank more whisky every night I'd probably not be working at 2am every night.  Maybe it is the answer for an easier life?  Anyway, time for bed (lying on my cheap, foam, but remarkably comfortable mattress).

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

To take us away from decadence, I was given some 'Famous Grouse' and some other stuff*.  I'm looking at them now (they're on top of the cupboard which hides the booze), thinking 'at what point would I want to open either of them'.  I guess I'm not a whisky drinker.  So why did they come to me as presents?  I can only think that it relates to the '10% of people drink all the booze' thread -- people who drink quite a bit can't really understand that I'll only drink a whisky on a rare occasion, and not finish off a bottle a month as they seem to be able to do.

*you know, the sort of highly blended whisky which is always advertised on TV in foreign lands as the best sort of whisky, and which friends in those foreign lands bring out of the cabinet as though it is a rare treat, but which no-one in Scotland (or anywhere else in the UK) has heard of, and actually tastes quite bland.

(giggles)

The thing that I find about alcohol is that beyond a certain point it hardly matters what it is.

After, say, 4 Budweisers (the beer I'll drink, which others deride), even the foulest tasting crap can seem quite palatable.

Even following it up with that bottle of horrid white wine that has been hanging about for months because it is basically undrinkable under any other circumstances, and then bitterly regretting that the following morning.

I view whisky a bit like opera. No, not suggesting that they are similar, but they are two things I have "never seen the point of".

I can tell the difference with sound quality (my penchant and "thing"). I can readily tell the difference between different rums. I made a lovely moussaka this evening. Oh, life's simple pleasures, eh ;)

But to mis-quote Tom Hanks in "Angels and Demons", "whisky is a gift that I am yet to receive".

I spent about £600 on hookers in the past week and certainly think that's better value than an oak sideboard.

But as already said we all put different values on things. 

And even though I'm a jock I can't get into whisky. Tried but no luck so far. Probably no bad thing considering my beer consumption.

I spent £600 on a new disc player. It is on the sideboard.

6 hours ago, DTMark said:

My late father was very much into whisky. I used to get him moderately expensive bottles as birthday treats. Last one was an Isle of Jura one.

Since I follow his "patterns" I suspect I shall get into this some day. Indeed I started a thread about it some time ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenlivet-Year-Scotch-Malt-Whisky/dp/B003WIEKNA

Added to Wish List.

If you haven't seen "The Angels' Share" - good film, worth seeing. Even if some of the dialog is almost unintelligible.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1924394/

Worth a watch!

6 hours ago, dgul said:

Johnnie Walker, maybe doesn't fit the no-one has heard of bit, but very true on the rest. Hardly drunk here in the UK yet has huge status across the rest of the world. Don't think I've ever seen advertising for it here, but you get huge billboards everywhere else in the world. Having just looked, it is the most widely sold Whisky in the world selling 226 bottles a year. 

A polish friend game kindly me a bottle for my 40th birthday, I've had a single thimble size measure just to try it, only confirmed my suspicions. Although to be fair I'm not a whisky fan generally, as mentioned on here before I've had various attempts to start a whisky drinking habit and it's just never taken off. 

11 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I didn't say the mattress cost £5k, that also included the bed.  Theory is I spend longer in bed than in the car (except when I have to drive to Manchester in the rush hour).

Too funny - I honestly did not realise it was you!

You should just ignore me. It's your money.

But it does make me wonder how 'goodish' modern life is when, having amassed a wedge sufficient to allow ourselves a little indulgence, we end up spending it on stuff that:

- helps us become semi-conscious;

- helps us stay semi-conscious.

Not a song I care much for (AOR guff) but the sentiment is pertinent:

2 hours ago, gilf said:

Johnnie Walker, ... Hardly drunk here in the UK .... Having just looked, it is the most widely sold Whisky in the world selling 226 bottles a year

That can't be right. They get through that lot on the Glazz-gee Barracks estate in an average morning!

3 hours ago, gilf said:

Johnnie Walker, maybe doesn't fit the no-one has heard of bit, but very true on the rest. Hardly drunk here in the UK yet has huge status across the rest of the world. Don't think I've ever seen advertising for it here, but you get huge billboards everywhere else in the world. Having just looked, it is the most widely sold Whisky in the world selling 226 bottles a year. 

A polish friend game kindly me a bottle for my 40th birthday, I've had a single thimble size measure just to try it, only confirmed my suspicions. Although to be fair I'm not a whisky fan generally, as mentioned on here before I've had various attempts to start a whisky drinking habit and it's just never taken off. 

Johnny Walker do different whiskies for different tastes.  They are all blends.

If he bought you Red Label, its taste is designed for the mixer market, so add coke, dry ginger or whatever.

Black label is there best selling I beleive, and is reasonable sampled neat, adding a little water does little to the flavour.

The Flagship ranges Blue and Green are lovely, but not, in my opinion, as good as a good single Malt, of which there are hundreds to choose from.

Me, I like Caol Ila 12 and got another bottle for Christmas...tried a sample of monkey shoulder (a blend) and that left a peaty taste in my mouth for hours, so a bit overpowering for me.

For my birthday, I got a 21 year old Hyland Park, which really needs water added and dont sip too quick.

Can be quite a hobby finding all the different tastes.  bit like CCCs hobby I suppose.

14 minutes ago, Errol said:

What about Whiskey as an investment, then?

Probably better than gold in troubled times - everybody goes alchy - but the label prolly doesn't matter so much - cf bullion & numismatics in such circs.

7 minutes ago, Bloo Loo said:

If he bought you Red Label, its taste is designed for the mixer market, so add coke, dry ginger or whatever.

Watch out, it's bluddie Brian Flanagan! Mix us up a sex on the beach Brian, and don't forget me little umbrella. Hey-hey!

53 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

That can't be right. They get through that lot on the Glazz-gee Barracks estate in an average morning!

Oops 226 million of course. 

20 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

We've just opened a bottle of this which I bought the wife as a Christmas present.

I need to put the cork back in the bottle as otherwise we'll regret it in the morning. It's an extremely drinkable whisky, complex flavours, not too overpowering, and the level of Oak is spot on.

Post this over Xmas not late Jan - there are no offers on anything regarding booze during the pathetic 'dry january'