House Price Crash Forum

The greatest thread of all...The BTL running for the exit thread

HOLA441
16 hours ago, Mossie said:

I tell you what I do have; seeing my BTL landlord out in a brand new Italian Supercar the other day.  

Unnecessary capital letters is a solid gold tell that this is a PovertyLater trolling HPC ;)

Mate, give it up. I doubt many people are reading your posts at this point. I know I'm not.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
59 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Hello Venger.

If you think Venger would stoop to using the word "fancypants" then you ought to go back and read some of Venger's posts. Venger's prose was muscular, unpretentious and never twee.

Venger's a scholar of this forum. This troll lacks the scholarship to craft a decent parody of Venger. Amateur hour stuff.

HOLA444
9 hours ago, Jurassic Bland said:

If you think Venger would stoop to using the word "fancypants" then you ought to go back and read some of Venger's posts. Venger's prose was muscular, unpretentious and never twee.

Venger's a scholar of this forum. This troll lacks the scholarship to craft a decent parody of Venger. Amateur hour stuff.

Thanks Venger.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I have a first hand account of a BTLer desperate to get out - Streatham, SW London area by the way  

I’ve been watching asking price reductions of up to 15-20% in some cases (Foxtons, Dexter’s). I’ve decided to buy now if I can find a desperate seller, buy well under the current market value.

We found just that- a three bed first floor flat with a private garden just over 900square ft. Currently let out to students. 

Identical flats have sold as follows:

Jan 2018 - £452,000 but needing complete renovation 

Jan 2018- £475,000 unknown condition

December 2015 - £470,000  average condition

Feb 2014 - £386,000 average condition 

So, it was listed at £475,000 which to be fair was actually already in line with those recent sold prices  

The BTLer is just so desperate to cash in we had two price reductions, and finally agreed £435,000, all within 2/3 weeks. 

Still a lot of money, but confident that I’ve at least a 10% buffer on those peak prices.  

HOLA448
9 minutes ago, Jcuk89 said:

I have a first hand account of a BTLer desperate to get out - Streatham, SW London area by the way  

I’ve been watching asking price reductions of up to 15-20% in some cases (Foxtons, Dexter’s). I’ve decided to buy now if I can find a desperate seller, buy well under the current market value.

We found just that- a three bed first floor flat with a private garden just over 900square ft. Currently let out to students. 

Identical flats have sold as follows:

Jan 2018 - £452,000 but needing complete renovation 

Jan 2018- £475,000 unknown condition

December 2015 - £470,000  average condition

Feb 2014 - £386,000 average condition 

So, it was listed at £475,000 which to be fair was actually already in line with those recent sold prices  

The BTLer is just so desperate to cash in we had two price reductions, and finally agreed £435,000, all within 2/3 weeks. 

Still a lot of money, but confident that I’ve at least a 10% buffer on those peak prices.  

I don't want to rain on your parade, but it seems like a pretty modest reduction to me. Nothing to write home about.

HOLA449
10 minutes ago, FabulousSophie said:

I don't want to rain on your parade, but it seems like a pretty modest reduction to me. Nothing to write home about.

If you read carefully, this is a 10% reduction in actual sold prices though.  I’m not comparing asking prices to sold prices  

10% price reduction in 6 months is significant. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
On 12/06/2018 at 22:30, Jurassic Bland said:

s/he’s convinced me s/he’s venger(bot)

Edited by thewig
S/

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
36 minutes ago, thewig said:

s/he’s convinced me s/he’s venger(bot)

On 11/06/2018 at 21:59, Mossie said:

The BTL investors.  Buying up homes and renting them out.  During Gordon Brown years and then again from 2010.   Oh but savers were the ones actually rescued. 

Compare the Venger knock-off to actual Venger:

I have only read some of page 1, and all of page 6 on this thread.  Only got time to make one post today.

I am really busy.  Have only opened a few threads on HPC in the past 6 weeks.  Although I love HPC forum, and have deep respect for many of its members.  

The last post I made back in late January, and just 48 hours or so before turning 10 years a member on HPC, outlined how I would be putting more focus on earning money in order to buy a house (at these prices).  Work. 

Source

When discussing style it is often argued that the sentence is a basic unit which expresses a complete thought. Venger writes really well so you get the beginning of the second paragraph introducing the idea that Venger isn't posting so much because he's busy, the final para of the quote gives a bit more context and the final, single word sentence of the final paragraph pulls it altogether and produces emphasis as its brevity is set against the preceding fuller sentence.

The Venger knock-off troll is trying to ape the style by seasoning their writing with very short sentences but they are doing that by ungrammatically chopping up longer sentences in a way that just makes the post harder to read; "The BTL investors.  Buying up homes and renting them out.  During Gordon Brown years and then again from 2010" is just 'During the Brown years, and again from 2010, the BTL investors were buying homes and renting them out'.

Edited by Jurassic Bland

HOLA4416

@Jurassic Bland I’m not going to challenge that breakdown, top analysis hats off.

I retract my previous statement.

which begs the question, who the FCK is imitating vengerbot?

its a mark of reverence for venger that someone he/she does not know or will never meet is imitating him/her

high praise for the VDog, the good will out 

HOLA4417

Yesterday I met  probably the 7th person I personally know of  that has a sizeable HMO BTL portfolio and is foreign and is still mainly living in their home country. This guy was Polish and very likeable and straight as much as it grieves me to admit it?, all of them have been eastern European apart from one couple from Singapore.

A little over 12 rooms in three properties I estimate in a University town that has a high level of skilled workers. The rooms I am guessing are between £700 and £900 each. What did surprise me was the price of one of the 5 bedroomed properties in one of the more crapiest part of town which was £670,000.

I know this way of living works for some people, the rooms were not dumps by any means, but some of these tenants were well into their 30's and older, 12 lives where people are in good paying work(no students) and coming back to a lonely room every night. I have seen the photos of where this guy lives in Poland, he is living a million pound lifestyle, but that's because it is Poland and cheaper. His wife and kids are back there, they have never sat foot in the UK though he has a strong presence, and what amazed me more than anything else was that he had a UK mortgage.

What a country we live in now, housed in many cases by foreigners and paying through the nose for it as they live lives in luxury, this really never sits well with me. 

Just thought I would share this anecdotal story with you.

HOLA4418
14 minutes ago, inbruges said:

Yesterday I met  probably the 7th person I personally know of  that has a sizeable HMO BTL portfolio and is foreign and is still mainly living in their home country. This guy was Polish and very likeable and straight as much as it grieves me to admit it?, all of them have been eastern European apart from one couple from Singapore.

A little over 12 rooms in three properties I estimate in a University town that has a high level of skilled workers. The rooms I am guessing are between £700 and £900 each. What did surprise me was the price of one of the 5 bedroomed properties in one of the more crapiest part of town which was £670,000.

I know this way of living works for some people, the rooms were not dumps by any means, but some of these tenants were well into their 30's and older, 12 lives where people are in good paying work(no students) and coming back to a lonely room every night. I have seen the photos of where this guy lives in Poland, he is living a million pound lifestyle, but that's because it is Poland and cheaper. His wife and kids are back there, they have never sat foot in the UK though he has a strong presence, and what amazed me more than anything else was that he had a UK mortgage.

What a country we live in now, housed in many cases by foreigners and paying through the nose for it as they live lives in luxury, this really never sits well with me. 

Just thought I would share this anecdotal story with you.

If he is tax resident in Poland he will no doubt be bound by Polish tax laws not Uk tax laws, so presumably he is also exempt from s24. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
2 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Surely people who earn money in the UK pay tax on UK earnings?

Not if you are tax resident in another country. If you have a holiday home in France, and earn some money by letting it out, you pay the tax in the UK if you are tax resident here, not in France.

HOLA4421
2 minutes ago, FabulousSophie said:

Not if you are tax resident in another country. If you have a holiday home in France, and earn some money by letting it out, you pay the tax in the UK if you are tax resident here, not in France.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-tax-when-you-rent-out-a-property-working-out-your-rental-income

Not true - see the above link to the HMRC website.  It's quite clear that S24 applies to non UK residents who let out UK property as they are liable for UK income tax on their income from UK property.

HOLA4422
7 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-tax-when-you-rent-out-a-property-working-out-your-rental-income

Not true - see the above link to the HMRC website.  It's quite clear that S24 applies to non UK residents who let out UK property as they are liable for UK income tax on their income from UK property.

This page says that if a UK tax resident makes money on a foreign rental, they pay the tax in the UK, not abroad. The usual reciprocal tax arrangements will no doubt apply, or it makes a mockery of the international tax treaties.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income

Edited by FabulousSophie

HOLA4423
9 minutes ago, FabulousSophie said:

This page says that if a UK tax resident makes money on a foreign rental, they pay the tax in the UK, not abroad. The usual reciprocal tax arrangements will no doubt apply, or it makes a mockery of the international tax treaties.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income

Changes to tax relief from 6 April 2017

The amount of Income Tax relief some landlords can get on residential property finance costs will start to be restricted to the basic rate of tax from 6 April 2017.

Who’s affected

You’ll be affected if you’re a:

• UK resident individual that lets residential properties in the UK or overseas
  • non-UK resident individual that lets residential properties in the UK
  • individual who let such properties in partnership
  • trustee or beneficiary of trusts liable for Income Tax on the property profits

All residential landlords with finance costs will be affected, but only some will pay more tax.

The above is a direct quote from the HMRC website I provided a link to.  It's quite clear that non UK residents are impacted by S24.  The site you quote discusses the entirely different scenario of of a UK resident renting out overseas property.

If there is a tax treaty between UK and the resident jurisdiction this will generally act to ensure that the taxpayer does not pay tax twice on the same income, it will not over-rule the tax regime in the jurisdiction where the income is generated.  Hence in your example a polish resident may (depending upon the terms of any double taxation treaty between the UK and Poland) have no Polish tax liability on his UK rental income, but he will still pay UK income tax on it.

Edited by Exiled Canadian

HOLA4424
2 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

Changes to tax relief from 6 April 2017

The amount of Income Tax relief some landlords can get on residential property finance costs will start to be restricted to the basic rate of tax from 6 April 2017.

Who’s affected

You’ll be affected if you’re a:

• UK resident individual that lets residential properties in the UK or overseas
  • non-UK resident individual that lets residential properties in the UK
  • individual who let such properties in partnership
  • trustee or beneficiary of trusts liable for Income Tax on the property profits

All residential landlords with finance costs will be affected, but only some will pay more tax.

The above is a direct quote from the HMRC website I provided a link to.  It's quite clear that non UK residents are impacted by S24.  The site you quote discusses the entirely different scenario of of a UK resident renting out overseas property.

Non-UK tax residents do not have to fill out a UK tax return, though because they are not officially resident for tax in the UK. 

HOLA4425
Just now, FabulousSophie said:

Non-UK tax residents do not have to fill out a UK tax return, though because they are not officially resident for tax in the UK. 

Also not true - if you live abroad but have UK income you have to file a return:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

I seem to recall that letting agencies are required to deduct tax from rental income submitted to overseas residents and pay it over to HMRC