House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Theresa May's Hard Brexit - how will it affect London?

Passporting for finance jobs to end. Surely this is massive?

Edited by Si1

Things that will affect London:

- Changes to benefit entitlement + LHA

- Further automation of finance. This is happening at a rapid rate.

Brexit barely registers.

Will the amount of credit available for London buyers reduce/stay the same/increase.

Will overseas cash buyers be deterred/be unaffected/be encouraged.

The tax haven idea could have an impact including on Hammond's (and the others) property portfolio.

Edited by billybong

Passport rights is a funny one.

UK govt saying this can be protected, as the EU won't cut off its nose to spite its face. From what I've seen/heard in the French and Italian papers/tv, the EU ministers are saying it won't happen overnight but they are determined to build up their own financial centres as quickly as possible to transfer out of the City. The EU is taking a slightly longer term view of where they want to go re. passporting and financial services. To be fair, that would be the entirely sensible approach.

So maybe not immediate, but I think London/City will take a hit re. this area. Just don't expect Theresa May to spell it out.

1 minute ago, Agentimmo said:

Passport rights is a funny one.

UK govt saying this can be protected, as the EU won't cut off its nose to spite its face. From what I've seen/heard in the French and Italian papers/tv, the EU ministers are saying it won't happen overnight but they are determined to build up their own financial centres as quickly as possible to transfer out of the City. The EU is taking a slightly longer term view of where they want to go re. passporting and financial services. To be fair, that would be the entirely sensible approach.

So maybe not immediate, but I think London/City will take a hit re. this area. Just don't expect Theresa May to spell it out.

London's advantage of being mid-time zone between US + Japan is not what it once was.

Technology has designed out time-zones as well as a lot of finance jobs.

10 hours ago, spyguy said:

Things that will affect London:

- Changes to benefit entitlement + LHA

- Further automation of finance. This is happening at a rapid rate.

Brexit barely registers.

You are clueless.

A lot of things are going to impact London and not just brexit.  What I can't get my head around is how many more people there are on my commuter route into and out of central London in the last six months.  Today (I get on an overground on the second stop of the line), the train was rammed.  Not enough seats. Six months ago, it would only be half full at my stop.  Many of these are overseas bods from the accents.  So, in London at least, the thought of brexit isn't putting people off being here

Don't get too excited.

Supreme Court will deliver verdict in landmark Brexit case on whether Theresa May needs Parliamentary approval to trigger Article 50 next Tuesday

Yesterday, TM delivered a speech on Brexit. Disappointing to those who hoped or expected that she would say something new, rather than simply finding a new way to repeat the same old things.

Same old, same old, blame someone else.

12 hours ago, billybong said:

Will the amount of credit available for London buyers reduce/stay the same/increase.

Will overseas cash buyers be deterred/be unaffected/be encouraged.

The tax haven idea could have an impact including on Hammond's (and the others) property portfolio.

A corrupt VI Brexit then.

9 hours ago, One-percent said:

A lot of things are going to impact London and not just brexit.  What I can't get my head around is how many more people there are on my commuter route into and out of central London in the last six months.  Today (I get on an overground on the second stop of the line), the train was rammed.  Not enough seats. Six months ago, it would only be half full at my stop.  Many of these are overseas bods from the accents.  So, in London at least, the thought of brexit isn't putting people off being here

DRs + Engineers + Bankers ...... or sandwich and chicken shack workers?

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

DRs + Engineers + Bankers ...... or sandwich and chicken shack workers?

Well, it's the commuter train and all are suited and booted, so suspect the former.  Where they all live, not a clue.

On 18/01/2017 at 8:33 PM, One-percent said:

I'm fairly certain Brexit will increase immigration, just not from the EU, but rather places like Africa and the Subcontinent.

49 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I'm fairly certain Brexit will increase immigration, just not from the EU, but rather places like Africa and the Subcontinent.

Will they all be doctors and engineers?

18 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

The government might need to make up for all the white flight to Australia after we get that trade deal done.  Brexit will accelerate all the things the Brexiteers fear most.

25 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

The government might need to make up for all the white flight to Australia after we get that trade deal done.  Brexit will accelerate all the things the Brexiteers fear most.

Fap, fap, fap, fap, fap...euhhhhhhh! Yes, yes, fap, fap, fap, euuuurrrghhhhh'