House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

1000's of UK Holidaymakers to be flown out of Gambia

Nearly 1,000 UK holidaymakers are set to be flown home from The Gambia due to growing political unrest.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is now warning against "all non-essential travel" to the west African nation due to potential military intervention following the Presidential elections on 1 December.

Holiday company Thomas Cook will lay on additional flights from the capital Banjul today to bring 985 package holiday customers home.

Thomas Cook said a flight scheduled from Manchester will now leave the UK without passengers and bring the first group of tourists home. A further four flights have been arranged from the capital Banjul back to the UK later - two flying to Manchester and two to Gatwick.

An additional 2,500 "flight-only" customers will then be contacted and offered the earliest possible flights back to the UK.

All travel insurance will now be invalid for anyone travelling to this country. UK tour operators were sending flights full of holidaymakers out to Gambia as late as tuesday this week, 

http://news.sky.com/story/hundreds-of-uk-tourists-set-to-be-flown-out-of-the-gambia-10732909

8 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

The West African nation of The Gambia was declared an Islamic republic, in December, by its president. What are the implications for its people, and the region in general?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35359593

Well ... unless they discover lots of oil, pretty poor - like all Muslim countries.

1 hour ago, workingpoor said:

The West African nation of The Gambia was declared an Islamic republic, in December, by its president. What are the implications for its people, and the region in general?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35359593

I was wondering what the back story to this was. From reading the MSM it just looks like someones annoyed at losing an election.

If it's a newly minted Islamic Republic then it'll essentially be unsafe for kafir to go on holiday to, just like most all of North Africa now is - i.e. there's zero chance I'd take my family on holiday there, winter sun or not. I'd rather go to Butllins. (Turkey next I guess)

Cancun: Second shooting in two days in Mexico tourist hotspot

http://news.sky.com/story/cancun-second-shooting-in-two-days-in-mexico-tourist-hotspot-10733060

On Monday, five people died during a shooting at the beachside Blue Parrot club in Playa del Carmen.

A Canadian man and an Italian man, who worked for the BPM music festival, were among those killed, along with an American woman who was trampled to death as people fled in panic.

Four people have been arrested over that shooting, in which 15 others were injured.

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to The Gambia because of the potential for civil unrest and violence in the near future.  On January 7, 2017, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members and authorized the departure of all employees who need to accompany those individuals from the country.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/thegambia-travel-warning.html

The U.S. Department of State advises U.S. citizens in The Gambia not to travel east of the Denton Bridge into central Banjul until further notice, and not to travel at night.  The security situation remains uncertain and there is a risk of civil unrest or armed conflict.  The U.S. Embassy has restricted official travel by embassy employees into central Banjul to mission-critical trips only.  The embassy is also requiring all American employees to be off the roads by 6:00 p.m. until further notice.  

https://banjul.usembassy.gov/sm011217.html

The U.S. Department of State advises U.S. citizens in The Gambia to shelter in place Wednesday and Thursday, January 18 and 19, due to the risk of armed conflict.  U.S. citizens who remained in The Gambia after the U.S. embassy issued a Travel Warning on January 7 should review their personal security situation and seriously consider departing now, while commercial flights are still available.

The U.S. Embassy will temporarily close to all non-emergency services at noon on January 18 and remain closed Thursday, January 19.  U.S. citizens requiring emergency services may call the U.S. Embassy at +(220) 437-5270.  Normal operations will resume once the security situation warrants.

https://banjul.usembassy.gov/sm_011717.html

Things appear to have gone up a notch or two in the past 24 hours.

Amusing to think of the difference between holding up a "He's not my president" placard in the Gambia today compared to the US.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Sounds a complete loon - no doubt we have been supporting him. Was going to be president for a billion years according to the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/world/africa/gambia-yahya-jammeh-adama-barrow.html?_r=0

No, he's been "de-colonising" Gambia, which is leftie-speak for going back to the dark ages.

The Gambia is supposed to be a really nice wintersun beach destination, was quite popular by all accounts. 

Dutch travel agencies are also scrambling to get their citizens out of the country, with travel firm TUI Nederland telling the AFP news agency that it would repatriate "about 800" clients.

An article from a year ago, whence Gambia had just become an Islamic State. Beggars belief that Brits would want to holiday there. According to this article very popular with middle aged women looking for toy boys to bring back home. Even so they are a lot braver than me

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/29/happy-hour-and-drinks-are-still-flowing-in-the-gambia-the-newest-islamic-state

5 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

An article from a year ago, whence Gambia had just become an Islamic State. Beggars belief that Brits would want to holiday there. According to his article very popular with middle aged women looking for toy boys to bring back home. Even so they are a lot braver than me

Yes possibly a sex tourism destination as well. 

You wouldn't want to be in a chaotic sweaty queue at Banjul Airport today would you? lol

^^^^
The smiling, obliging and charming Africans give them the kind of attention that some of them may not have enjoyed for years - And that, put simply, is love.
Many of these unlucky-in-love women want to return home from their two-week break with a tan, a smile — and a new lover in tow who can give them the affection they have craved for years.
The young men, some of them teenagers, target the white women…they see them as their ticket to a new life in a country with endless opportunities. In a country where half the population live below the poverty line and the average wage is £30 a week, a European girlfriend seems to make perfect sense.
But a happy ending is not guaranteed.
Solomon was one of the first wave of Gambians to marry a Brit — holidaymaker Catherine, who he met in 1992 when he worked as her tour rep.
He said: "She was nine years older than me. She had not been loved. She had grown up in a care home and run away. Life with a caring Gambian who romanced her was probably amazing. We got married so I could go to the UK but I felt trapped there — it was boring, just me and her."
“When we had our son Peace, who is now 17, she didn’t like my Gambian lifestyle any more. She got annoyed with me smoking wacky baccy, hanging out in the pub and chilling out"
“I went to the council and got my own flat and she had hers. We split up”.

wtf! lol

Sounds a wonderful holiday location. The first thought that entered my head is, "did these holiday makers do any quick basic research about this country before picking it as a holiday location?" But then I dismissed that as little surprises me with individual stupidity these days. What amazes me more though is that big reputable holiday companies would want to organise holidays to locations like this with all the inherent risks. Seems like a big risk to take with their brand (see recent brand damage from the Tunisia terrorist murders).

31 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Sounds a complete loon - no doubt we have been supporting him. Was going to be president for a billion years according to the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/world/africa/gambia-yahya-jammeh-adama-barrow.html?_r=0

He sounds less loony than Brown.

As far as these countries go, most of them are pretty nice places, not some fly blown desert.

Its people who make 3rd world countries.

They could cross the border into Senegal and fly back from Dakar, that's what a group of friends and I ended up doing when the Guinea-Bissau army closed the airport after a post-election coup there a few years ago. Was pretty scary at the time.

45 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

An article from a year ago, whence Gambia had just become an Islamic State. Beggars belief that Brits would want to holiday there. According to this article very popular with middle aged women looking for toy boys to bring back home. Even so they are a lot braver than me

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/29/happy-hour-and-drinks-are-still-flowing-in-the-gambia-the-newest-islamic-state

^^Few of those escaping the cold and damp of a northern European winter appeared to be aware of President Yahya Jammeh’s surprise proclamation last month that the tiny African country he has ruled with an iron grip for more than 20 years would henceforth be known as the Islamic Republic of the Gambia.

“Really?” said Linda, 49, with a hoot of disbelieving laughter. Turning to her holiday companion outside Solomon’s beach cafe, she added: “It doesn’t seem at all Islamic, does it, Chrissie? Quick, we’d better get another beer in before they close all the bars.”

Tourism accounts for 20% of The Gambia's GDP..........well it did! lol 

Could there be violence? 

Thousands of Gambians, including women and children, have been fleeing to Senegal and further afield to Guinea-Bissau, fearing unrest.

'Awful situation'

Elaine, who is in the country on holiday, told the BBC: "It's total chaos here, even [the] rep does not know what's going on."

Another tourist said they had not received enough information about the situation.

One holidaymaker who was waiting at their hotel for their transport home said: "All hotel guests are to leave today, however people were still arriving here for their holiday in the last couple of days.

"We heard about the problems and contacted Thomas Cook. They said we couldn't change our travel dates unless the government site said no travel to Gambia."

Another told the BBC: "My mum and her husband are in Gambia and the internet is down, phones are down and there are no news channels.

"An awful situation which they would have known nothing about if I hadn't called them."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38659120

So i hope people take note, they wil be forced to carry through with their trip or lose their money, unless the Government actually say "no travel" and that is often stopped short of, or comes at the last minute. 

Maybe people will wise up to the tour operators now.

There is a comedy in there somewhere - bunch of British tourists in an African civil war relying on the tour rep to get them through.

Wouldn't mind see the mouthy Brit tourist arguing with the guy whose has the AK47 - "My wife and I paid for watersports followed by a buffet with a prawn pyramid - and that is what we expect to get!".

BANG!