House Price Crash Forum

Apple Raising App Price In UK by 25%

NuBrit

HOLA441

http://www.gsmarena.com/app_store_prices_to_rise_25_following_brexit-news-22793.php

In an attempt to maintain momentum in the UK, which is one of Apple’s largest markets, app prices will rise to account for the decrease in GBP exchange rate after the Brexit vote back in June. An app that was worth $0.99 now will cost £0.99 (up from £0.79). A similar increase of about 25% will be seen at every price tier when the changes hit the virtual shelves of the App Store.

In addition to the United Kingdom, prices will also rise in Turkey and India. The Indian Rupee is going lower and lower since 2008. Turkish Lira has similar fate, reaching its lowest-ever exchange rate last week.

Apple says the new prices will roll out over the next seven days. In the mean time the company already started notifying developers with specific reference to the iOS and Mac App Store. Likely the price changes will also hit the iTunes Store for TV shows, movies and books.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I buy apps. My recent purchase of the ebook reader Marvin 3 comes highly recommended.

I also buy lots of those 10p ones you see on hotukdeals for android. Just for fun. Got myself a DJ mixing desk app which is pretty cool, if somewhat wasted on me.

There's lot of useful apps out there you would use, it's just finding them.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Not really surprising. In fact, I am surprised it has taken this long for them to realise the UK market is there to be milked. Or are they forecasting GBP Dollar parity in the next few weeks?

Adobe have been doing it for years. Creative cloud suite has always cost 50% more if you access it from a UK based IP address. They have never given any reason apart from their pricing is set by 'market forces'

HOLA449
21 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

Not really surprising. In fact, I am surprised it has taken this long for them to realise the UK market is there to be milked. Or are they forecasting GBP Dollar parity in the next few weeks?

Adobe have been doing it for years. Creative cloud suite has always cost 50% more if you access it from a UK based IP address. They have never given any reason apart from their pricing is set by 'market forces'

I use an MS Office clone on my home PC rather than pay the gouging price that MS charge. My laptop has Ubuntu Linux on it. I avoid Adobe for the same reasons. 

HOLA4410
27 minutes ago, newbonic said:

I use an MS Office clone on my home PC rather than pay the gouging price that MS charge. My laptop has Ubuntu Linux on it. I avoid Adobe for the same reasons. 

I am the same with the office clone - but sadly Adobe is an essential part of what I do / my clients expect and can't be avoided.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
4 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Lots of other people are though, sales leapt to 20 billion dollars in 2016.

Should think that figure is mostly in-app sales, 10 year olds buying coins/gems or whatever in Clash of Clans. I've read that the average number of apps downloaded per month per person is close to 0. 

The comments in the same report on the BBC website is quite heartening, alot of people finally realising that Apple products are overpriced underpowered tat.

HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Should think that figure is mostly in-app sales, 10 year olds buying coins/gems or whatever in Clash of Clans. I've read that the average number of apps downloaded per month per person is close to 0. 

The comments in the same report on the BBC website is quite heartening, alot of people finally realising that Apple products are overpriced underpowered tat.

Maybe I am not an expert on this. I have a Windows phone so no problem with spending lots of money on Apps because there aren't any, great phone though.  

HOLA4414
4 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Lots of other people are though, sales leapt to 20 billion dollars in 2016.

Do you have any context to that? E.g. did free downloads also increase, and by what proportion compared to paid for apps? That would be interesting. Also, it looks like China is driving sales, and it's mostly games, i.e. non essentials, and short lifespans. 

This growth is largely being driven by games, and here, China’s lead has also widened over the U.S. during the past quarter. Games drive 75 percent of App Store revenue, even though non-game apps make up the majority (75%) of those distributed in Apple’s mobile marketplace.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
4 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

Is Adobe stuff un-pirateable these days? Their subscription service does seem very pricey for anything other than a pro user.

HOLA4417
1 hour ago, stuckin2up2down said:

Is Adobe stuff un-pirateable these days? Their subscription service does seem very pricey for anything other than a pro user.

I don't think it's that pricey if all you are after is lightroom and photoshop @ €9 p/m. The full suite is expensive granted. But there are alternatives depending on use case.

I use Capture one for Sony on the mac/windows and Darktable on linux for my Canon / Nikon raw file adjustments. They are both more than adequate alternatives for lightroom. The GIMP is not exactly photoshop but it works for me. As for illustrator - inkscape works, and instead of Premiere, I find a combo of Blender (it's nle video editor is good) / Da Vinci Resolve and Handbrake is powerful enough.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
18 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

I don't think it's that pricey if all you are after is lightroom and photoshop @ €9 p/m. The full suite is expensive granted. But there are alternatives depending on use case.

I use Capture one for Sony on the mac/windows and Darktable on linux for my Canon / Nikon raw file adjustments. They are both more than adequate alternatives for lightroom. The GIMP is not exactly photoshop but it works for me. As for illustrator - inkscape works, and instead of Premiere, I find a combo of Blender (it's nle video editor is good) / Da Vinci Resolve and Handbrake is powerful enough.

That's actually not too bad, I thought it was 20 just for PS and 50 for the entire suite.

i use google picassa for all my image adjustments. I'd quite like to get back into using after affects, but it doesn't seem to pay much.

HOLA4420
2 minutes ago, stuckin2up2down said:

That's actually not too bad, I thought it was 20 just for PS and 50 for the entire suite.

i use google picassa for all my image adjustments. I'd quite like to get back into using after affects, but it doesn't seem to pay much.

The suite is expensive compared to a few years ago when cs5 cost about £600 and the upgrade required every 18 months or so was about £150. 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 hour ago, GreenDevil said:

Nor me. Never owned anything Apple and never will. I expect they are raising prices cause their tech is £hite and in decline.

Appkes sales tactics and headline prices are ridiculous (comparitively to other manufacturers) for new hardware. But the software is amazing value for money. The iOS version of garageband is worth the cost of the device on its own imho. Its a phenomenal thing.

So, the tech isn't £hite, and can be had very cheap indeed if you're not interested in the latest model.

Macs are crap value for money compared to a DIY Hackintosh. I can build a machine that kicks the living $hit out a mac pro for 1/2 the money. But the OS is great, and that's free.

You can get an iPhone 6 second hand for £160 all day if you look on local Facebook ads. That's a hell of a piece of kit for that money.

I'm not an apple fanboy. My main phone is android, and my pcs run all three os's (linux, win and macos). But I have to say, hands down, apples app store is packed with ridiculous quality applications for peanuts.

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA4425

Basically, tech is dirt cheap now. For those of us who remember the days when you 'had' (beause is was genuinely obsolete for new software) to spend £1500 every 18 months on PC hardware, + 120 on dos and windows, 300 on wordperfect +, ganes at 25 quid a pop back when that was was a shed load of money, we now live in a golden era. If the software is getting a little pricier, I couldn't give a toss. If you steer clear of silly games with their in game pirchasrs and the like, most of the stuff is simply amazing value.