House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

OMG!!!! Ive finally done it!!!!

Another observation from facebook.

'Ive published a book!!!!'

Yes. Another self published book on Amazon.

Kids book.

Young adult vampire book.

Romance book.

S+M romance book.

FFS! Is there some sort of massive promotion by self-publishers going on.

Or is this another tax credit /a make up work thing?

Id guess that latter.

I thought you were going to say you'd bought a new tablet! That's so much better than your usual post.

If it's a proper book then I am actually impressed, a colleague banged on for years about the book he was writing and when he retired he actually finished it and had if published, yes "vanity" publishing but for a first time non-celeb author proper publishing is incredibly hard.

I bought a copy when he did a book signing at a local book shop; it was a decent action novel and a good read.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I thought you were going to say you'd bought a new tablet! That's so much better than your usual post.

If it's a proper book then I am actually impressed, a colleague banged on for years about the book he was writing and when he retired he actually finished it and had if published, yes "vanity" publishing but for a first time non-celeb author proper publishing is incredibly hard.

I bought a copy when he did a book signing at a local book shop; it was a decent action novel and a good read.

No. They are all self published.

There are quiet a few publishers who will take a word document and print + post it via Amazon.

Amazon offer up the first few pages. Ive read a few. At best, they need and editor. Most need to know how to write.

I mention as the numbers have gone exponential in the last 6 months.

38 minutes ago, spyguy said:

No. They are all self published.

There are quiet a few publishers who will take a word document and print + post it via Amazon.

Amazon offer up the first few pages. Ive read a few. At best, they need and editor. Most need to know how to write.

I mention as the numbers have gone exponential in the last 6 months.

:lol: You're too funny.

I guess Emily and anne Bronte wrote the same thing  to Ellen Nussey when Wuthering Heights and Agnes Grey were published after forking out £50 or £5,000 in today's money to the publisher for the printing.

6 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

I guess Emily and Charlotte Bronte wrote the same thing  to Ellen Nussey when Wuthering Heights and Agnes Grey were published after forking out £50 or £5,000 in today's money to the publisher for the printing.

Well ...... I was wondering this whilst sat at St Marys in summer, looking at Annes grave.

I think the Brontes were exceptional. They'd all been writing constantly for a good few years before they bothered to publish anything.

Who knows, maybe there might be a budding JK Rowling. But ... all the stuff Ive seen has been poor and I feel is more a hard ell from self-publishers cos. and benefit tick boxes.

Fifty Shades of Grey's success was a total fluke as it's rubbish and I did try reading it; they're all hoping to get similarly lucky.

Mind you can say that about Terry Pratchett; his very first book wasn't very good at all so how he got that published escapes me.  The rest were mostly excellent however.

It is an interesting development.  In a short time they've reduced the hurdle for self-publishing from 'too high -- don't think I'll bother' to 'zero -- don't think I'll bother editing'.

I presume that there will now be an opportunity for some real gems to be published -- so long as you can see them for the vast quantities of chaff.

Anyway, I don't think this is about benefits, particularly -- more about artists finally having a gallery to show their wares (and if no-one buys it is because of all the chaff out there.  Terrible thing, self-publishing).

I wonder if Amazon will eventually offer a proof-reading service (not to identify errors for writers, but to offer a 'minimum standard passed' service for readers).  Dunno.

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is an interesting development.  In a short time they've reduced the hurdle for self-publishing from 'too high -- don't think I'll bother' to 'zero -- don't think I'll bother editing'.

I presume that there will now be an opportunity for some real gems to be published -- so long as you can see them for the vast quantities of chaff.

Anyway, I don't think this is about benefits, particularly -- more about artists finally having a gallery to show their wares (and if no-one buys it is because of all the chaff out there.  Terrible thing, self-publishing).

I wonder if Amazon will eventually offer a proof-reading service (not to identify errors for writers, but to offer a 'minimum standard passed' service for readers).  Dunno.

http://startups.co.uk/forum/topic/help-refused-working-tax-credit-due-to-not-earning-min-wage-as-a-writer/

' Please can somebody advise me on this problem: I started my own business as a self-employed Kindle book writer on 1st June 2013. However, even though I am working 30hrs pwk on my business, I have been refused Working Tax Credit because I am not yet earning the minimum wage from my business. I am in a right state now, as I don’t know what to do about this. I have signed off the dole, thinking that I could make it working for myself, but just because of this rule insisting on the minimum wage, I am not going to have the Working Tax Credit as a back up. What can I do about this? '

38 minutes ago, spyguy said:

http://startups.co.uk/forum/topic/help-refused-working-tax-credit-due-to-not-earning-min-wage-as-a-writer/

' Please can somebody advise me on this problem: I started my own business as a self-employed Kindle book writer on 1st June 2013. However, even though I am working 30hrs pwk on my business, I have been refused Working Tax Credit because I am not yet earning the minimum wage from my business. I am in a right state now, as I don’t know what to do about this. I have signed off the dole, thinking that I could make it working for myself, but just because of this rule insisting on the minimum wage, I am not going to have the Working Tax Credit as a back up. What can I do about this? '

I recall reading somewhere that the average 'proper' professional author only makes about £8k a year anyway. And these aren't ex student dolies dreaming of not having to sign on. So the pro grunt makes maybe £6 an hour. These chancers have go no chance - they'd be better off stacking shelves in Tesco for their WTC.

1 minute ago, newbonic said:

I recall reading somewhere that the average 'proper' professional author only makes about £8k a year anyway. And these aren't ex student dolies dreaming of not having to sign on. So the pro grunt makes maybe £6 an hour. These chancers have go no chance - they'd be better off stacking shelves in Tesco for their WTC.

Yeah but .. thats working.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I thought you had the meat & two veg removed. This is disappointing.

As a vege that comments invades my safe space. racist!

Well ... if someone could have a go at me for repeating a seafaring saying about vicars daughters and getting upset about some woman Id never heard off ...

3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Yeah but .. thats working.

It also wouldn't impress the chicks down the pub, or at the creative writing workshops.

Edit to add that being 'struggling writer' in their cold garrot* is much cooler.

* I.e. the grotty Hackney bedsit/mums spare room, etc.

3 hours ago, newbonic said:

Edit to add that being 'struggling writer' in their cold garrot* is much cooler.

Both literally and metaphorically ;)

anyone ne who has ever written anything knows what very hard work it is.  I've often thought about getting that book published but not for too long.  Way too much graft to do a proper job on it 

26 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Both literally and metaphorically ;)

anyone ne who has ever written anything knows what very hard work it is.  I've often thought about getting that book published but not for too long.  Way too much graft to do a proper job on it 

'Les Ventress brushed his long flowing locks out of his eyes.

Staring deeply into her eyes he said 'Does got big t1ts. Wanna sh@g?'

The penny waterfall shock as he took her right there .... small children and their parents ran screaming from the Tubeys'.

4 hours ago, spyguy said:

As an example, his latest work Calling On Krampus is ranked about 1,000,000th on Amazon, which equates to about 2 sales per month.  At about 30p per sale (Amazon take the rest) that is about £7 per year (admittedly just from Amazon US, but he's hardly going to have much better sales in the UK).  He's got 33 titles, so, if all were as successful as his latest work, he'd be on c. £250 pa.

Hardly seems worth bothering.  And at 35 pages per book from the samples I've seen, it looks like he agrees.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

As an example, his latest work Calling On Krampus is ranked about 1,000,000th on Amazon, which equates to about 2 sales per month.  At about 30p per sale (Amazon take the rest) that is about £7 per year (admittedly just from Amazon US, but he's hardly going to have much better sales in the UK).  He's got 33 titles, so, if all were as successful as his latest work, he'd be on c. £250 pa.

Hardly seems worth bothering.  And at 35 pages per book from the samples I've seen, it looks like he agrees.

Yeah but .... he gets to wear a cravat and claim his tax credits.

42 minutes ago, spyguy said:

'Les Ventress brushed his long flowing locks out of his eyes.

Staring deeply into her eyes he said 'Does got big t1ts. Wanna sh@g?'

The penny waterfall shock as he took her right there .... small children and their parents ran screaming from the Tubeys'.

:lol: 20 shades of smelling of fish? 

I can't see how this sort of activity meets Brief 7 -- if they are only making up to a thousand a year then it is only a hobby, not a business.

But I'd hope that the authors who try it on have a note on their file so that their (meagre) income from sales is included in their benefits calculation.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I can't see how this sort of activity meets Brief 7 -- if they are only making up to a thousand a year then it is only a hobby, not a business.

But I'd hope that the authors who try it on have a note on their file so that their (meagre) income from sales is included in their benefits calculation.

I believe the DSS/HMRC are wise to it.

The DSS assume and discount 38h * NMW from their tax credits.

It was always just a scam that only lasted one year.

6 hours ago, spyguy said:

Write something that sells.
:)