House Price Crash Forum

I am seeing food items up 30% plus percent this week in the shops as opposed to the week before Christmas. One example - Tesco and Sainsbury own brand butter has gone up from about 85pish to about £1.15ish now.

25 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Going down like a vicars daughter.

Chuckle.

Presumably since no one was ultimately blamed for the post brexit asian market flash crash then whoever the real culprits were are now having another bash.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I am seeing food items up 30% plus percent this week in the shops as opposed to the week before Christmas. One example - Tesco and Sainsbury own brand butter has gone up from about 85pish to about £1.15ish now.

Butter is a weird one.  The price constantly changes and has been well over a pound for a long time.  Then the price dropped to around the 85p mark.  Don't ask how I know, it is just one of those random things that the mind somehow retains. Ask me what I did five minutes ago and I probably couldn't say 

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I noticed own brand butter in Sainsbury's and Waitrose suddenly jumped in price about a month before Christmas.  Was around 90 pence and is now £1.20 ish.

Some Yanks I know are shorting the Pound big time.

I imagine there are going to be some demands by MPs this week for Carney to say or do something - but probably having no clue what he is supposed to do.

The idea of raising rates will not occur to them and, if it did, the threat to their mortgages would scare them out of wanting anything done.

3 minutes ago, One-percent said:

And unless it is anchor or some snobby Normandy type butter, then the exchange rate shouldn't impact on the price of butter.  

Anchor is made in the UK and has been for several years. The myth that it comes from grass-fed Kiwi cows is one that continues but that was a long time ago now.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I imagine there are going to be some demands by MPs this week for Carney to say or do something - but probably having no clue what he is supposed to do.

The idea of raising rates will not occur to them and, if it did, the threat to their mortgages would scare them out of wanting anything done.

Carney has already telegraphed what any response  to pound weakness would be - print more money, buy foreign assets!

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I expect the c@@@ has a cunning plan, rate cut perhaps?

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Anchor is made in the UK and has been for several years. The myth that it comes from grass-fed Kiwi cows is one that continues but that was a long time ago now.

Stand corrected tmt.  Note to self, don't believe everything you see on tv, especially the adverts. :)

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Isn't he employed to lower rates and buy bonds/gilts from thin air?

11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

If he was clever he would raise rates to 5% and make the yanks pay 5% interest to maintain their short position. 

But that would be smart but he isnt.

14 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Stand corrected tmt.  Note to self, don't believe everything you see on tv, especially the adverts. :)

I only found out because i used to eat because it did once come from grass-fed cows in NZ. Then the taste went downhill dramatically IMPO so I did osme research and discovered that it is now made in Manchester from non-Kiwi milk sources.

17 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Back in the 80's I worked in the Cardiff's Cold Stores, New Zealand butter was shipped to the UK in 25kg boxes, thousands of tons at a time and put into store. Everyday we would load a local lorry with 20ton and it would be taken to a local packaging factory, 50% salt added and wrapped in Anchor brand paper.

This is a very interesting year unfolding financially. US Treasuries are, some such as Jim Mellor as arguing, close to collapse and that the US will be forced to raise rates rapidly this year. Interesting times we are living in.

Just now, white110 said:

Back in the 80's I worked in the Cardiff's Cold Stores, New Zealand butter was shipped to the UK in 25kg boxes, thousands of tons at a time and put into store. Everyday we would load a local lorry with 20ton and it would be taken to a local packaging factory, 50% salt added and wrapped in Anchor brand paper.

Let's hope that it starts up again.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

This is a very interesting year unfolding financially. US Treasuries are, some such as Jim Mellor as arguing, close to collapse and that the US will be forced to raise rates rapidly this year. Interesting times we are living in.