House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

LA Coliving PodShare's intersection between social/privacy

4 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

LA coliving: PodShare's permeable intersection between social/privacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ILu-R-Nz8

I sort of 'lost it' when she described a bunk bed with a  balcony.

All I could imagine was a merger with this Off Topic thread

The only upside is that slowly, people may be forced away from the 'old way' of doing things, which may both bring about a massive F.U. and a choice of a debt free way of life.

Self-employed or run your own business? require a room / office in which to do business or see clients? make £30 an hour?

no

You'll need to have a job elsewhere working for someone else / a big company, not make as much money, not be an entrepreneur, not work on something that is scaleable and not end up employing others.

Go economy!

29 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I sort of 'lost it' when she described a bunk bed with a  balcony.

All I could imagine was a merger with this Off Topic thread

The only upside is that slowly, people may be forced away from the 'old way' of doing things, which may both bring about a massive F.U. and a choice of a debt free way of life.

Here's another article on it. Price is $35 for downtown LA. $50 for Hollywood.

In Pod-Based Community Living, Rent Is Cheap, But Sex Is Banned

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/in-pod-based-community-living-rent-is-cheap-but-sex-is-banned

Do they ban snorers?  

Bed in sheds  bunks in big sheds

Perhaps people need to get rid off the building owner, & have a self organising co-op or similar type system to reduce cost.

Although not having the portability of shipping containers , I've often thought that a few folks clubbing together to buy a barn metal frame like this for £3k .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CE-STEEL-FRAMED-BUILDING-PORTAL-FRAME-KIT-BUILDING-45ft-X-30ft-X-12ft-/322379075590

then cladding it with slight seconds, metal sided kingspan & grp profile sheets for a green house lean to extension to relax / grow food in. Divide it up with pallet wood frame walls & mgo board / plasterboard & off you go ..  

best rent the land for 5 yrs to avoid the land prob.  

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

For cost comparison to the $35 -50 dollars a night  in the co-living site ..

avg $42.50 a night with little privacy 

Studio Apt in La = $75.64 a night + bigger deposit / fees / lack of flexibility etc  

Rent trend data in Los Angeles, California

Los Angeles Average Rent

01,0002,0003,0004,000All beds1 beds2 beds
Beds Rent
All beds 2,611
1 beds 2,301
2 beds 3,024

As of December 2016, average apartment rent within the city of of Los Angeles, CA is $2611. 
One bedroom apartments in Los Angeles rent for $2301 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $3024. 

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-los-angeles-rent-trends/

From what I saw of that she was doing a great job trying to sell it......how anyone can get sleep with a number of people moving and talking all around.....she says plenty of space!! Like packing as many people as possible into a small space, must be a new build......sad that choices for people have degenerated to this, better though than sleeping on the street, must be good then....Dog kennels?

I watched the whole thing. Its basically an upmarket hostel, aimed at recent immigrants to the city who want to try something slightly hippy-ish while they find somewhere more permanent (the longest stay was 3 months).

Its a cool idea, and that commune-type social environment can be really great, when it works (it can also be a nightmare). Its clearly not somewhere people stay long term, though.

3 hours ago, voldemort said:

I watched the whole thing. Its basically an upmarket hostel, aimed at recent immigrants to the city who want to try something slightly hippy-ish while they find somewhere more permanent (the longest stay was 3 months).

Its a cool idea, and that commune-type social environment can be really great, when it works (it can also be a nightmare). Its clearly not somewhere people stay long term, though.

I agree, it is not a totally stupid idea if it is cheap enough.  It would be better though, if they were like those Japanese pod hotels, where you are totally closed in when you are in the pod (also hopefully with good sound proofing)