House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fru-gal

EU car insurance farce: Premiums set to rise so that UNINSURED drivers can get compensation

There has to be some quid pro quo if this comes into being and law abiding drivers have to cough up?  

An increase in the fines/penalties for the offence and full repayment of past unpaid insurance - or something like that.  It's just too easy for them to say they'll get other drivers to pay for it, for breaking the law.

It's reminiscent of the banker bailouts.

I dont understand this...insurance covers claims by 3rd parties....so if you are uninsured, the claims are met by the MIB.

That is already the state of the law.

Even so, you can have 3rd party only insurance, or you can have fully comprehensive, uninsured losses....no need for this from MArch 1st

1 minute ago, Bloo Loo said:

I dont understand this...insurance covers claims by 3rd parties....so if you are uninsured, the claims are met by the MIB.

That is already the state of the law.

Even so, you can have 3rd party only insurance, or you can have fully comprehensive, uninsured losses....no need for this from MArch 1st

Losses due to other party being uninsured  are coved by the MIB, basically so that you don't have to claim against your own insurance even if the cause of the accident was not your fault.

Basically what this new EU scheme is saying to uninsured drivers is that not only can you go around uninsured as far as the EU is concerned but if you drive like a lunatic and crash your car you'll get compensated - utterly, utterly the wrong incentive to give. At lest at the moment if you drive uninsured then you better drive carefully as you will not only get fined but also (rightly) lose costs/value of your car if you crash.

This is not only sending the wrong message, financially penalising the wrong people it is likely to raise the number of insured reckless drivers around. The will result in more injuries and deaths on the road.

The sooner we are out the better, these EU nutters are downright dangerous.

1 minute ago, onlyme2 said:

Losses due to other party being uninsured  are coved by the MIB, basically so that you don't have to claim against your own insurance even if the cause of the accident was not your fault.

Basically what this new EU scheme is saying to uninsured drivers is that not only can you go around uninsured as far as the EU is concerned but if you drive like a lunatic and crash your car you'll get compensated - utterly, utterly the wrong incentive to give. At lest at the moment if you drive uninsured then you better drive carefully as you will not only get fined but also (rightly) lose costs/value of your car if you crash.

This is not only sending the wrong message, financially penalising the wrong people it is likely to raise the number of insured reckless drivers around. The will result in more injuries and deaths on the road.

thanks for that, but it is in line with most lefty drivel in that people are incapable of making a decision for which they are responsible.

29 minutes ago, Bloo Loo said:

thanks for that, but it is in line with most lefty drivel in that people are incapable of making a decision for which they are responsible.

That and worse, they don't care if the result of their actions/laws actively harms others.

1 hour ago, onlyme2 said:

You've completely misunderstood this.  It is not about compensating uninsured drivers for anything they do at all.  It is just saying that if you are hit by an uninsured driver then you are covered.

21 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

You've completely misunderstood this.  It is not about compensating uninsured drivers for anything they do at all.  It is just saying that if you are hit by an uninsured driver then you are covered.

If the intended laws are as they are being reported in the press I know exactly what I am talking about.

The MIB is a fund ALREADY set  to insure against uninsured drivers for your own losses when you are not the party at fault.

What is proposed is that a further levy be applied to existing drivers to compensate uninsured drivers for their own losses.

******ing outrageous if so.

3 minutes ago, onlyme2 said:

If the intended laws are as they are being reported in the press I know exactly what I am talking about.

The MIB is a fund ALREADY set  to insure against uninsured drivers for your own losses when you are not the party at fault.

What is proposed is that a further levy be applied to existing drivers to compensate uninsured drivers for their own losses.

That's how i read it too. i presume this is more to cover the uninsured's whiplash injury than their car damage. So, steal a car, ram someone, kerching.

14 minutes ago, onlyme2 said:

No, the way it's being reported is that if you are the victim of an incident caused by an uninsured driver, then you are covered regardless of whether you yourself are uninsured.  It's not a huge change from the current position.

4 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

How will you satisfy your appetite for ******** anti-EU stories after Brexit?

When IoW declines to be British, the French will invade.

3 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

How will you satisfy your appetite for ******** anti-EU stories after Brexit?

Simply contact your local newsagent - and request letter-box delivery of The Daily Mail..!

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

5 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

No, the way it's being reported is that if you are the victim of an incident caused by an uninsured driver, then you are covered regardless of whether you yourself are uninsured.  It's not a huge change from the current position.

It goes alongside the right of a burglar to sue you if he slips on your wet patio. In my view if you want to operate outside the law you forfeit the right to fall back on the law if it all goes wrong. 

9 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Yes it is. 

Uninsured driver gets to claim compensation.

Insured drivers get to pay for it.

10 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Thank f@ck for Brexit. 

Yep.

Isolate the insanity virus on the continent where it can't continue to harm us.

Just now, onlyme2 said:

Yes it is. 

Uninsured driver gets to claim compensation.

Insured drivers get to pay for it.

It's really a technicality versus the current rules and doesn't create any perverse incentive not to be insured.  If you are uninsured and at fault you are not covered at all.

3 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

It's really a technicality versus the current rules and doesn't create any perverse incentive not to be insured.  If you are uninsured and at fault you are not covered at all.

Not a technicality at all.

The insurance fact find and past claims history acts as a filter; those who have a habit of claiming damages on a professional basis, most notably by setting up collisions themselves  will have a claims record that eventually will preclude them financially from being able to insure themselves.

A useful and necessary filter to keep these shysters off the road.

23 minutes ago, onlyme2 said:

Not a technicality at all.

The insurance fact find and past claims history acts as a filter; those who have a habit of claiming damages on a professional basis, most notably by setting up collisions themselves  will have a claims record that eventually will preclude them financially from being able to insure themselves.

A useful and necessary filter to keep these shysters off the road.

That's irrelevant to what we're talking about.

5 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

That's irrelevant to what we're talking about.

OK, so having read the article again and more carefully, I'm unclear

Take 2 uninsured drivers, one drives into the other.

The uninsured driver who is hit will now be covered for losses under the new legislation

What about the uninsured driver who cause the accident ? are they covered or not, I presume not.

Even so, given that it's illegal to drive without insurance, I don't see why either uninsured driver should get any compensation.

8 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

OK, so having read the article again and more carefully, I'm unclear

Take 2 uninsured drivers, one drives into the other.

The uninsured driver who is hit will now be covered for losses under the new legislation

What about the uninsured driver who cause the accident ? are they covered or not, I presume not.

Even so, given that it's illegal to drive without insurance, I don't see why either uninsured driver should get any compensation.

And given that it's illegal to drive without insurance you would obviously be in a lot of trouble either way.  This really does seem to be a technicality and is just being used as an excuse by Chris Grayling to get his face in the papers 'standing up against Brussels'.