House Price Crash Forum

Optional minimum standards of new housing

Will!

HOLA441

Almost a couple of years ago the government published optional technical standards of new housing for local planning authorities.  These are minimum standards for internal space, water efficiency and accessibility that local planning authorities can require house builders to meet.

For example, here are the standards for minimum gross internal floor area and storage.

Minimum gross internal floor areas and storage (m2)

Number of bedrooms(b)

Number of bed spaces (persons)

1 storey dwellings

2 storey dwellings

3 storey dwellings

Built-in storage

1b

1p

39 (37) *

2p

2b

3p

4p

3b

4p

5p

6p

4b

5p

6p

7p

8p

5b

6p

7p

8p

6b

7p

8p

Since these optional standards were published I don't think I've seen a single new build that complies with them.  Has anyone on here?  Should they be made compulsory?  Or scrapped altogether?

Edited by Will!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I don't think you're reading this correctly. The optional applies to this group of technical standards covering water, access, space. I believe this are optional because a local authority may pick and choose levels of access requirements for example (i.e. full wheelchair accessible, or future adaptable - variation/different parts of Approved Document M). 

The space standards you have mentioned above are a must now. I.e. every planning permission will have it written in the conditions. 

Having said all that - they are still quite laughable. Some local authorities are writing their own which is good to see (i.e. Ashford have their own which have a 5% increase). 

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
25 minutes ago, Bronson said:

I don't think you're reading this correctly. The optional applies to this group of technical standards covering water, access, space. I believe this are optional because a local authority may pick and choose levels of access requirements for example (i.e. full wheelchair accessible, or future adaptable - variation/different parts of Approved Document M). 

The space standards you have mentioned above are a must now. I.e. every planning permission will have it written in the conditions. 

Having said all that - they are still quite laughable. Some local authorities are writing their own which is good to see (i.e. Ashford have their own which have a 5% increase). 

My reading of this paragraph is that internal space standards are optional.  I'm happy to be corrected though.

Can local planning authorities require internal space standards in new homes?

The National Planning Policy Framework says that local planning authorities should identify the size, type, tenure and range of housing that is required in particular locations, reflecting local demand.

Where a local planning authority (or qualifying body) wishes to require an internal space standard, they should only do so by reference in their Local Plan to the nationally described space standard.

My emphasis.

HOLA449

I've got an outbuilding in the garden that I can convert to 1200sqft single-storey. According to that chart, I could get 5 bedrooms and 6 people in there.

I was thinking it was going to be a bit small for my two kids to share until they bought their own place.  Now they can take in 4 lodgers and aspire to be landlord scum.