House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stormymonday_2011

Time For A Stiff Drink

I find these stats very, very hard to believe.  I know plenty of people in the US who are considered to drink a lot.  None of them drink 10 drinks per day.  Even kids in fraternities in college don't drink that much.

That is entirely my experience of the US.  Plenty of teetotallers but the men and women who go for it are drinking from lunchtime and downing vast amounts of beer and whisky.  One guy who nearly always gets so drunk that he drops and smashes a glass at my friends' house.

If you're gonna drink, drink good....

The graph says drinks. I am not sure how that converts into say UK units.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/?utm_term=.5360e4b099e5

The article does not make the matter clear

If a drink is the equivalent of a half pint of uk beer then the top decile is consuming in the region of about 30-35 pints a week which is between 4-5 pints a day. That is a not an unbelievable amount.

I suspect that U.S. boozing habits follow the Scottish rather than the English model with more teetotallers at one end and a higher percentage of very heavy drinkers at the other end.  

What interested me was the distribution which tends to reflect some of my anecdotal experience of extreme  behaviour with most of it concentrated in a relatively small group of people. Something to bear in mind when public health bodies try to portray half the population as dipsomaniacs. 

The other point is that heavy consumers of products appear to count for most of certain industries sales so essentially the drinks industry depends on drunks for its profits.

I've been on the morning and afternoon commuter trains out of NY and the number of people openly drinking from brown paper bags - which is beer at BEST! - is amazing.

In Sydney I saw the odd person having a beer on the ferry on the way home, but never more than that.

Is it the high number of irish and native american ancestry genes in the US, perhaps?

38 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I've been on the morning and afternoon commuter trains out of NY and the number of people openly drinking from brown paper bags - which is beer at BEST! - is amazing.

In Sydney I saw the odd person having a beer on the ferry on the way home, but never more than that.

Is it the high number of irish and native american ancestry genes in the US, perhaps?

NY is the city that never sleeps. I suspect plenty of people on those trains drinking in the morning or afternoon have been working for many hours before. It is probably their early evening and they are on their way home. You see the same around Billingsgate in London where all the porters go for a pint around 8 or 9 in the morning because they have been working all night.

The bags in NY are because that is their law - not illegal if the bottle is in a bag.

err...no....these were clearly commuters in suits heading INTO work or leaving AFTER work...

19 minutes ago, wherebee said:

err...no....these were clearly commuters in suits heading INTO work or leaving AFTER work...

Well, you never said that and I was just speculating trying to answer something which sounded like you were somewhat surprised.

7 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

NY is the city that never sleeps. I suspect plenty of people on those trains drinking in the morning or afternoon have been working for many hours before. It is probably their early evening and they are on their way home. You see the same around Billingsgate in London where all the porters go for a pint around 8 or 9 in the morning because they have been working all night.

The bags in NY are because that is their law - not illegal if the bottle is in a bag.

Still illegal, just tolerated.