House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul77

Qualifying years of National Insurance

Guys,

I started working back in 2004 and according to gov.uk website I'm having 15 years of full NI contributions... and that's even excluding 2016-17! Have checked with a few friends of mine, they all seem to have a few extra years.

Any clues why?

4 minutes ago, RentingForever said:

If you were in education post-16 you get credited with NI for those years, I think.

I was going to suggest that as well but I can't find any reference to that, only "training" which specifically excludes university.  

Unless the rules only changed recently?

That definitely was the case in the past, though it may have been limited to 3 years.  I say that as i was University for 4 years, and one year didn't qualify. That said, it is hard for me to pick out why that year, which was my second year, as I was actually on an engineering bursary and did summer work whilst I was still on the course. I also seem to have qualified on my year out, which to be fair I didn't spend a fair amount of time working.

I think I've got something like 26  years NI, despite only really having been in full time work for 21 years.

Of course, I don't get to stop paying NI once I get to 35 years.

I had 3 years added (i think for the ages16-18) because i was in full time education. It doesn't matter much as I'll hit the 35 year max in my early 50's and will be working (if i can) into my 60's.

16 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

If you log onto the gov website you can find out every year of your record and lots of other info.

Edit: click "start now" button

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

In theory.

I tried to get state pension and it returned an error after I put my details in; googling suggested that was because I'm under 50 but it didn't say that anywhere on the site.

So then I tried the one for NI records. Again there was lots of data to enter and at the end it couldn't give me an online record but said it would be posted to me.

This was at least four months ago. Slow post.

It worked for me. I have a few incomplete years for some reason.

5 minutes ago, DEATH said:

The goal posts will change in 10-20 years. It will all be means tested. 

There's no money.

So, once again, those who have lived a feckless life will be given free money whilst those who have worked and paid in to the system will be told that their silly decision to save for their old age means that once again promises made will be reneged on.  No wonder people can't be ar$ed anymore 

36 minutes ago, One-percent said:

So, once again, those who have lived a feckless life will be given free money whilst those who have worked and paid in to the system will be told that their silly decision to save for their old age means that once again promises made will be reneged on.  No wonder people can't be ar$ed anymore 

Hence the emergence of compulsory pension enrolment being brought in for all workers. Private pensions only make financial sense if you can break through means tested benefits at retirement. That's only really possible for relatively high earners. The new pension schemes are just an extra tax on poor people.

2 hours ago, RentingForever said:

If you were in education post-16 you get credited with NI for those years, I think.

You get credited for University undergraduate years, but you don't get credit for University PhD years, the latter is a bit of a disappointment

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

If you log onto the gov website you can find out every year of your record and lots of other info.

Edit: click "start now" button

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

12 years (2004-2016), but it tells me 15?

Maybe it's the education but still, how do they know? I'm a foreigner and came to the UK in 2004 after finishing university abroad...

Oddly it's my university years that are incomplete. Crikey! A Government website that works.

My university years are incomplete too. I'm operating on the basis that one way or another I'll be ******ed over by the government when it actually comes to claiming a state pension so looking to provide my own.  Given the state of things it's bound to be means tested, a retirement age of 75+, and perhaps even asset tested by the time I approach retirement age or scrapped in favour of CI. 

How can that be? I was either studenting, or during the holidays, either working or signing on.

I took a mid career break to do a two year post grad; following that the Revenue wrote to me and said I had insufficient NI for the last two years (I hadn't worked) and did I want to make them up by a cash payment?

I did and I think it was about £200 a year. I'd like to know if the same applies if I stop working early so I can just pay £200 a year for the remaining years from my 35.

25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I took a mid career break to do a two year post grad; following that the Revenue wrote to me and said I had insufficient NI for the last two years (I hadn't worked) and did I want to make them up by a cash payment?

I did and I think it was about £200 a year. I'd like to know if the same applies if I stop working early so I can just pay £200 a year for the remaining years from my 35.

I imagine so, but perhaps not in advance. You could simply declare yourself self-employed and pay the optional NI on any return. 

2 hours ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

I imagine so, but perhaps not in advance. You could simply declare yourself self-employed and pay the optional NI on any return. 

I also think, at least you used to be able to do this, that if you sign on as unemployed then your stamp will be automatically credited. But do check as the goalposts often move 

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

Do they still exist?

No. I didn't get paid for the last two months work either.

The chap that owned the company is still around, I hope to meet him again one day.

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

I believe you will be able to.

Normally, you can make a contribution to buy additional years up to about 6 years (I think) back.

However, due to the change over in state pension rules (the last one), they do currently have a special facility to go back longer than that.

On the site (that you can't access), you can blow up the details for each year and in there it tells you whether you have that year, whether you can buy the year and how much it costs (that changes according to the year).

Because of my contribution record I actually recently went back and bought about 9 years.

I don't work and I'm not self employed and I'm over 10 years from pulling a state pension.

Thank you, very reassuring and I will try the site again. I did try it not long after it was first available; it may be working for me now.

12 minutes ago, choochoo said:

I'll have my 35 years of contributions when I'm 51, can I just stop paying NI then..........seems pointless paying for another 16 years for no further benefit!

Yes you can :)

Provided you earn very little or no money from employment..... :(