House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Britain considering £1,000-a-year levy for skilled EU workers

8 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Britain ?

Dont you mean....a small number of elitist MPs funded by bankers and corporations.

Britain said enough of the immigration when they voted for BrExit.

Dont give a toss about skilled workers.

As long as they earn more than 35k and dont draw benefit then Ive no problems.

Its the unskilled millions om benefits that fck me off.

But the Labour MP Frank Field told the Financial Times he very much welcomed the move “if we used the money to train natives”.

Use the money to train "natives" - then what - to do the jobs that have already been taken up by people from overseas?  

It's not as if lots of those "natives" already trained have been able to find jobs appropriate to their skills - lots of them have had to become baristas and burger flippers etc.

Field has an inkling of an idea but in itself it's just not enough - not by a long chalk.
Edited by billybong

OK, So I read this today after catching up on all the latest Trump-Buzzfeed-4chan drama.

What I think the gov is trying to do (and this is purely speculation) is create a disincentive for low wage Euro workers. A minimum wage Barista, or some other job that will get you tax credits, is not going ot be worth the 1000 quid for the employer per year. Some engineer or doctor, or even a nurse, will be worth 1000 ppa for the employer, but that 1000 will be passed on to the employee in terms of a lower wage.

Alternatively it could be a ploy to blackmail the EE nations into playing ball with the UK gov. I.E: don't ****** with us or we send you all your low pay workers back, and then you deal with unemployment.

1 minute ago, billybong said:

Use the money to train "natives" - then what - to do the jobs that have already been taken up by people from overseas?  

It's not as if lots of those already trained have been able to find jobs appropriate to their skills - lots of them have had to become baristas and burger flippers etc.

Field has an inkling of an idea but in itself it's just not enough - not by a long chalk.

I reckon this is the gov playing 3D chess with the EU.

7 minutes ago, Automotive Engineer said:

I reckon this is the gov playing 3D chess with the EU.

Could very well be but I'm not sure that £1000 per worker per year (£20 per week) would be enough to do the trick even for minimum wage jobs.  It might only be enough to raise a hefty chunk of tax.

Edited by billybong

16 minutes ago, Automotive Engineer said:

0 hours contract, definetly out

Zero hours contract and the employee not getting/doing any work week in week out - it would be a disincentive to keep that group on (and to start hiring that type in the first place).

Edited by billybong

Reclassifying 90,000+ unskilled 'seasonal' workers as non-migrant will certainly help with the immigration headline numbers.

Just as long they stay for six months or less every year.  It's not like they'll need somewhere to live, or social services, or benefit top-ups while they're here, right? <_<

From the Graun link:

“A seasonal agricultural workers scheme would not contribute to net migration because that only includes those who come to work for more than 12 months and they come for less than six months,” said Goodwill, who reaffirmed the government’s commitment to get net migration down below 100,000 post-Brexit.

1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

Reclassifying 90,000+ unskilled 'seasonal' workers as non-migrant will certainly help with the immigration headline numbers.

Just as long they stay for six months or less every year.  It's not like they'll need somewhere to live, or social services, or benefit top-ups while they're here, right? <_<

So many EU migrants do this - they are in and out of the UK, collecting benefits while they're there.  It would explain the disparity between official figures, and what I heard and saw "on the ground" in Northampton - at times the town centre felt like a big reception area of EE workers. 

5 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

So many EU migrants do this - they are in and out of the UK, collecting benefits while they're there.  It would explain the disparity between official figures, and what I heard and saw "on the ground" in Northampton - at times the town centre felt like a big reception area of EE workers. 

Theres was art8icle on the radio about a huge rise in hit + run incidents.

Apparently theres been a huge rise in the last couple of years.

Teh article then went into reasons - driver did not think there was damage etc etc etc.

Did not mention the most likely - a huge rise of people driving without a license or borrowing someone elses.

Why has this country got such a shortage of skilled people that we have to buy people from elsewhere?.....Don't agree with any levy, should not have to pay to employ people, but either further education or firms themselves should be training own people with the skills so short of and paying them the going rate of pay in the first instance...;)

8 minutes ago, winkie said:

Why has this country got such a shortage of skilled people that we have to buy people from elsewhere?.....Don't agree with any levy, should not have to pay to employ people, but either further education or firms themselves should be training own people with the skills so short of and paying them the going rate of pay in the first instance...;)

What skill shortage requires us to import loands of Romanians who dont speak English and have limited academic skills. And employment skills too.

Ah, not work. Just benefit.

It's mad that an unskilled, criminal Romanian has more rights than a highly skilled, no-criminal-record non-EU individual. Call me simple, but isn't it better if the UK can attract the brightest and best people from all over the world (including eastern Europe by the way) who can support themselves and can contribute to the UK, rather than ANYONE from Eastern Europe who need benefits just to survive in the UK?

3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

What skill shortage requires us to import loands of Romanians who dont speak English and have limited academic skills. And employment skills too.

Ah, not work. Just benefit.

Up to us what we pay in benefits?......they say there is a skills shortage of manual work where language is not required....for a number of years whilst in the EU Bulgarians and Romanians could travel here freely but could not work, unless they worked for themselves not many did that....we tend to blame the people but it is the policies that dictates behaviours. ;)

7 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

The levy already applies to non-EU workers.  Further discrimination between two types of immigrant. What's that sound? Oh, the sound of silence from the virtue-signalling left.  

It only comes in this year.

As for discrimination, does Australia want to join the single market and send MEPs to Brussels?

8 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

It's mad that an unskilled, criminal Romanian has more rights than a highly skilled, no-criminal-record non-EU individual. Call me simple, but isn't it better if the UK can attract the brightest and best people from all over the world (including eastern Europe by the way) who can support themselves and can contribute to the UK, rather than ANYONE from Eastern Europe who need benefits just to survive in the UK?

No.  What's mad is that we give them the benefits.  Having a single economic space called Europe is no madder than having the USA.

Levy is the new tax rise ? the Apprenticeship Levy - The bulk of it will be paid by a small number of large employers. I can't remember who - Tesco I would imagine are one. Driven off the Paye payroll ?

1 hour ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Yes.

I wonder if this will mean big changes to entitlement to tax credits and housing benefit in the next budget? Of course they could have tweaked entitlements years ago (the welfare systems of Spain, Germany are contribution based) and we could have avoided Brexit but Blair/Brown/Cameron preferred to line their own pockets at the expense of the plebs. Now the chickens have come home to roost. 

18 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

I wonder if this will mean big changes to entitlement to tax credits and housing benefit in the next budget? Of course they could have tweaked entitlements years ago (the welfare systems of Spain, Germany are contribution based) and we could have avoided Brexit but Blair/Brown/Cameron preferred to line their own pockets at the expense of the plebs. Now the chickens have come home to roost. 

Make that *ALL* of Europe.

Germany's benefit is pretty much work fare now.

Spains limited and goes to 0 after 2 years.

You are right in that it was Brown's tax credits that caused Brexit.

And the doubling of national debt.

And all th problems with people in their 40s only having 3 years part-time work experience in a few years time.

browns chickens will be roosting for years.

3 hours ago, winkie said:

Deliberate policy. Employers dont want to train people, neither from scratch after school, nor after higher education, nor cross training from other industries etc etc,  they want cheap, pre educated, pre trained, pre experienced foreigners and for the last 2+ decades gone crying poor to the government to say that Brits wont work or learn, we need some immigrants.  

I was once knocked back for a job on account of only having version 3.1 of a particular software skill an they were asking for version 3.2.. I had 10 years experience in the field so was a moot point.. They gave the job to an Indian who 'said' he had version 3.2 via his newly forged course certificate..  I heard through the grapevine that he was a complete disaster even on a lower than average wage for the job,  however as ever, employers do not admit their mistakes.

Edited by steve99
Distracted by dog