House Price Crash Forum
Wolfie84

RIP High Street Estate Agencies

Here we shall commemorate the passing of estate agent offices, as they close down and pass into productive uses that benefit society.  A selection that i collected on my way to work today:

Haart.JPG

This former Haart office moved on around 6 months ago, I reckon.  Look at the haartless way the the signage has been painted over to hide the fact that this was once an estate agent.  But I know…  You know…  We all know…

Gran1.JPG

This branch achieved a google reviews rating of 2.2/5, making it one of the best rated estate agents in the area.  Reviewers commented that “this is essentially a small-time cowboy operation with extortionate fees” and “This 'company' is absolutely the most unprofessional and incompetent establishment I've ever come across”.  Such high praise was still not enough to save it from closure.  Perhaps customers will visit their other branch just up the road…

Gran2.JPG

…nope, sadly this one’s shut down too.  Helpfully, the sign on the door tells customers that they’ve “relocated” to their existing office in Brixton.

Memsons.JPG

At first glance this seems like it’s open, with ads still in the window. The more observant among us will notice though that no properties are shown in them and there is a dearth of office furniture inside.  A sad sight to see.

JohnDWood.JPG

The irony of a “To Let” sign being placed on a shut down estate agent shouldn’t be lost on anyone.  Like a BTL landlord, buying an OO house and creating his own demand, the closure of an estate agent’s offices is good news for retail letting agencies everywhere.

Has anyone seen the latest 'Purple Bricks' advert? A little cheesy but it does give the message that traditional Estate Agents may soon be toast.

6 minutes ago, MattW said:

Has anyone seen the latest 'Purple Bricks' advert? A little cheesy but it does give the message that traditional Estate Agents may soon be toast.

No, but I'm hearing a Purple Bricks radio advert all the time.

10 minutes ago, MattW said:

Dont need go toast them, just knock 1000 off their margin.Let them est thier limbs.

Been thinking for years that high street estate agents are an anachronism: we just don't need them anymore. The only thing keeping them in business these past few years has been that RightMove will only accept listings from agents with retail premises. No doubt it was a strategy that got RightMove its market dominance in the first place, but now it will be their downfall. Either they let sellers list direct, or someone else will. There's no reason why selling a house online should cost any more than listing something on eBay. Once you've found a buyer it all goes over to the solicitors anyway. In my experience at this point agents are more of a hindrance than a help, particularly as most can't help themselves with the bu^^^hit.

Edited by Smith

Im doing up my bathroom at the moment with the intention of flying a kite at earliest opportunity.

Early part of next week, i'll be giving the House Simple people a call.

No way i will use a high street agent ever again.

12 hours ago, shindigger said:

Im doing up my bathroom at the moment with the intention of flying a kite at earliest opportunity.

Early part of next week, i'll be giving the House Simple people a call.

No way i will use a high street agent ever again.

Sort of horses for courses, lower end very much a commodity lets face it with easy credit at say £250,000 property you could get a few 0% credit cards and then a mortgage. A £1 million + property by definition probably a more complex proposition and your selling to people who are used to being sold to but also good at or take pleasure in d***** people around.

Therefore the decision is how much is your time worth around here you can cut a deal at .75% to use a local well established agent and deal with the principal. When you add it up days of work so for me is a simple outsource argument my time is better deployed doing other things. My recent experience of buying my Mum a retirement flat with no chain either end with my brother just confirmed that and that was sub £200k

What you will see is the shops go I think, but the trend around South Herts is for people to start with all the cheap channels and then as sure as eggs are eggs they end up with the big local fish in the local pond who in truth knows the area and the houses well and as was pointed out to me screens all the time wasters.

It is just another market that is polarising low end Purple bricks etc, upper end local strong niche players what will disappear are the mid market agencies

Edited by Greg Bowman

In this example, the EA is suffering inflicted wounds from a disgruntled customer. Maybe that's the one good thing about the physical EA... when they grind your gears you can always go round and put its windows in.

ea_shut.JPG

That's weird. All those down my area are doing well.

But then lettings fees ban doesn't apply to Wales yet.

Maybe ones in England were doing okay financially but the lettings fees ban made them realise there was no point carrying on.

AI will ensure than millions are driven into poverty.  Huge numbers of job that used to be done will disappear.  There will be mass unemployment on a scale never seen even during the 30s depression.  Driverless cars will put 10000s out of work, driverless trains already on DLR and will expand, pilotless planes are a step away from a  drone, robots will do many operations, there is a prototype machine for laying bricks which can lay to within 1mm accuracy and can work 24 hours a day. Amazon now have a test shop which has no staff.  2 local gyms near me have no staff with monitoring by video.  In Japan last week one company made 50 redundants to be replaced by AI the investment will be re-couped with 2 years.  Within 20 years this will be a reality.

20 hours ago, MattW said:

Friend sold her house really quickly with them. 
Seen their sign at another couple of places.

2 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

Maybe ones in England were doing okay financially but the lettings fees ban made them realise there was no point carrying on.

lettings fees ban won't probably start in England till later this year.They've got to give the piggies a chance to squeal.

I would think a slow time of year for EA, shopping about for leads at the moment.....some new changes coming their way this year, time for them yet again to do things differently....survival of the fittest.;)

2 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

If you were a struggling independant, you might well decide to throw the towel in now before the job market becomes awash with ex-agents.

I'm loving this thread already. I had a go at using rightmoves "find an agent near you" function and then clocking the shop on street view to see if it's still there. I found one in the first handful I checked but can't post it now.

7 hours ago, Greg Bowman said:

Sort of horses for courses, lower end very much a commodity lets face it with easy credit at say £250,000 property you could get a few 0% credit cards and then a mortgage. A £1 million + property by definition probably a more complex proposition and your selling to people who are used to being sold to but also good at or take pleasure in d***** people around.

Therefore the decision is how much is your time worth around here you can cut a deal at .75% to use a local well established agent and deal with the principal. When you add it up days of work so for me is a simple outsource argument my time is better deployed doing other things. My recent experience of buying my Mum a retirement flat with no chain either end with my brother just confirmed that and that was sub £200k

What you will see is the shops go I think, but the trend around South Herts is for people to start with all the cheap channels and then as sure as eggs are eggs they end up with the big local fish in the local pond who in truth knows the area and the houses well and as was pointed out to me screens all the time wasters.

It is just another market that is polarising low end Purple bricks etc, upper end local strong niche players what will disappear are the mid market agencies

Well yeah by S/E standards i'm low end. Happiy, as its mortgage free, large chunks of my time are my own. So i'm planning to save roughly £4500 on any sale.

I sold 2 houses myself in London. In the days when you could advertise a house in Loot for nothing.

In a sellers market its a piece of piss. Not sure we are in that right now though in my  S/W neck of the woods.

I posted about passing by EA's on here years ago. :rolleyes:

The technology is now at the point where it should be easy for the average seller to DIY. 

In France, recent study showed about 70% of sellers try via internet etc , bypassing EA's.  However,  in the end, "only" about 25% finally sell without an EA help. Study found that individuals asking prices were above market rate.

Still a fair amount of individual sellers .  My neighbour sold his house a few years back,  without an EA. Had to reduce the price by 10%, but still sold quickly and at a price he was happy with. 

23 hours ago, shindigger said:

Well yeah by S/E standards i'm low end. Happiy, as its mortgage free, large chunks of my time are my own. So i'm planning to save roughly £4500 on any sale.

I sold 2 houses myself in London. In the days when you could advertise a house in Loot for nothing.

In a sellers market its a piece of piss. Not sure we are in that right now though in my  S/W neck of the woods.

I agree but I don't save the money by doing it myself It is off set by potential lost income so always marginal in reality 

52 minutes ago, Dražen Petrović said:

First post , be gentle please :)

In Enfield London...

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 23.06.52.jpg

Franchise if you look at the main website, any company that sells franchises isn't in the business it purports to be in it is in the business of selling franchises 

franchises closing always good news so they can resell, even some mc'd's change hands every year. Subway well known for it

welcome 

5 hours ago, Dražen Petrović said:

First post , be gentle please :)

In Enfield London...

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 23.06.52.jpg

An excellent first post,if I may say.They're a special bunch of parasites,only saved from the ignominy of being the most hated EA's in the UK by those uber c**t* Countrywide and Foxtons.

As they say,

'don't shoot.................'

4 hours ago, Greg Bowman said:

Franchise if you look at the main website, any company that sells franchises isn't in the business it purports to be in it is in the business of selling franchises 

franchises closing always good news so they can resell, even some mc'd's change hands every year. Subway well known for it

welcome 

That's no excuse.