House Price Crash Forum
I Told You So

Interest Rate Cuts

Short sterling down again today, making talk of interest rate cuts a distant memory.

The whole world is raising rates why should we be different?

Next move up before summer, my guess and im sticking to it. :D

Sorry to be boring but Short sterling is down for yet another day, we are not far off the markets pricing in a definite rise. :lol:

When are the MPC minutes out, ITYS? It usually a couple of weeks after the meeting....so, today??? I think we might see our first real division for a while - I'd say that raising and lowering might have got a vote each.

Mortgage advisor told my hubby yesterday that interest rates were on the way down so we will be similar to the Euro rate!!!. There are quite a few who probably believe this!!!!

Mortgage advisor told my hubby yesterday that interest rates were on the way down so we will be similar to the Euro rate!!!. There are quite a few who probably believe this!!!!

Another case of Tell them what they want to hear.. these people hold positions of responsibility & sheeple will tend to believe whatever they say, criminal.

I Told You So

I am with you on this one up and up and up.

:D:D:D

Remember 1976 labour messed up and 2006 -2007

they will mess up again. Anyone for a blank cheque

from the IMF ??

To be honest, no commentators have a very good record of predicting interest rates over the last couple of years. Most mainstream news organisations have been predicting a fall in interest rates for ages and that hasn't happened, most people here have been predicting a rise. That hasn't happened either.

Using the laws of probability, I predict they are going to stay where they are for a bit (hopefully I'm wrong too!)

I thought the reason at the time (BBC and others) was the falling price of fuel...

My fuel (petrol) still costs at least 7p a litre more than it did exactly a year ago.

Thats almost a 10% rise still, YOY!!

I thought the reason at the time (BBC and others) was the falling price of fuel...

that didn't last long, its on the way up again !

91p/ltr at my local supermarket

will it have to go past the £/ltr mark before it makes headlines again ?

incidently, came accross an old weekly shopping receipt from six months ago and compared it to a recent one. taking all the like for like items, the average increase was over 10%. scandalous !

2% my a4se :angry:

I think this is a very likely outcome

Our economy is fu**ed – so the BOE lower interest rates to stimulate it

Before long 2% IR not much happening in the economy but houses back to 20% increases a year

Time will tell - but do the BOE really care about Short sterling

they HAVE to care.

if they ignore it, they WILL import inflation.

Pretending we can ignore the rest of the world's interest rate rises forever doesnt change the fact that we have to exist in a global economy nowadays. Rates are going up.

I Told You So

I am with you on this one up and up and up.

:D:D:D

Remember 1976 labour messed up and 2006 -2007

they will mess up again. Anyone for a blank cheque

from the IMF ??

they HAVE to care.

if they ignore it, they WILL import inflation.

Pretending we can ignore the rest of the world's interest rate rises forever doesnt change the fact that we have to exist in a global economy nowadays. Rates are going up.

I'm with you guys on the "rates up".

But it'll crash the housing market.

Then we'll see recession.

Then the rates will come down (coz they always put the pedal to the metal), as the shit hits the fan, people get layed off as inflation rips.

There certainly won't be 20% yoy house price rises when rates next go down, not with all this going on: The lenders will be covering their backs.

This time it's no different at all.

incidently, came accross an old weekly shopping receipt from six months ago and compared it to a recent one. taking all the like for like items, the average increase was over 10%.

Your problem is that you don't buy enough DVD players. If you bought a new DVD player every week rather than food, you'd see that you're much better off this year rather than last.

Your problem is that you don't buy enough DVD players. If you bought a new DVD player every week rather than food, you'd see that you're much better off this year rather than last.

Indeed.

I heat my house with jeans from Tesco, so the massive increase in domestic fuel prices doesn't affect me at all.

I heat my house by burning Australian Landlords. If the smell of frying sh!t gets too overpowering, I throw on a Swede or 2. That always gives the room a nice, herring-like aroma.

Cheap as chips, Australian Landlords. You can't give 'em away. Literally. Although like any parasite, they can be removed forcibly.

Indeed.

I heat my house with jeans from Tesco, so the massive increase in domestic fuel prices doesn't affect me at all.

:lol::lol::lol:

try plasma screen TVs; they're cheaper than last year, too, and give off more heat...

;)

I think this is a very likely outcome

Our economy is fu**ed – so the BOE lower interest rates to stimulate it

Before long 2% IR not much happening in the economy but houses back to 20% increases a year

Time will tell - but do the BOE really care about Short sterling

I'm with Look To The Past on this one at the moment.

The BOE and the FED (especially) have been frantic in raising rates so that when their economy falters once more they have some amunition to fight it by dropping rates again.

The real problems occur when this cycle of raising rates (at pace) and dropping rates (at pace) fails to work.

I believe we have another round of this to endure before the game's up.

Edited by Culpability Brown