House Price Crash Forum

What happens if the immigrants leave?

CunningPlan

HOLA441
2 hours ago, One-percent said:

I remember those magic tractors.  They were made up of most of the kids in my class at school.  They all loved to do it as it was incredibly well paid for a 14-16 year old.  I was never allowed and was well peed off. 

Pay and they will come 

edit to add that most students in London now cannot get holiday work as it is all being done by low payed EEers

It wasn't well paid for a fourteen year old. Where I worked, you were paid by weight but for some reason, adults were paid 2x the rate per 50lb than I was. Child slave labour but I wanted the money. Darned hard work though and your jeans weighed a ton at the end of a muddy shift. Only saving grace was that it was a downhill cycle ride home. Would never have made it up an incline.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
17 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

It wasn't well paid for a fourteen year old. Where I worked, you were paid by weight but for some reason, adults were paid 2x the rate per 50lb than I was. Child slave labour but I wanted the money. Darned hard work though and your jeans weighed a ton at the end of a muddy shift. Only saving grace was that it was a downhill cycle ride home. Would never have made it up an incline.

Either you must have been too slow at picking em or my pay at 14 working in a cafe was even worse as I was well jealous of the kids whose parents allowed them to play hooky for tatie picking :lol:

hard, cold and miserable work, perhaps I was better off sitting in a warm classroom. 

HOLA443
15 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Either you must have been too slow at picking em or my pay at 14 working in a cafe was even worse as I was well jealous of the kids whose parents allowed them to play hooky for tatie picking :lol:

hard, cold and miserable work, perhaps I was better off sitting in a warm classroom. 

As I said we were paid by weight. I worked twice as fast to try and match the adult pay.

HOLA444
21 hours ago, Pieman Pieface said:

In that case firms will push forward automation plans, cut staff and inflation will fly up. 

For the white collar workers i believe that will be the case whatever happens as for the industrial sector it`s already happened for the most part,the biggest hit has been taken already 

HOLA445
3 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

Don't care about 6000 Roma when theres's 10,000,000 pensioners getting more expensive every year. 

Priorities people.

The plan is/was to get the roman et al to pay the short fall for the ten million ,the problem is though it`s a ponzi scheme the sooner it collapse the better as the longer it goes on the worse the collapse will be

Image result for pyramid scheme image

Edited by long time lurking

HOLA446
HOLA447
5 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

And I bet none of the kids that did this were fat little ******* either. Double bonus. 

HOLA448
8 hours ago, ccc said:

Oh come on this is embarrassing.

I refer you to magic potatoes picking themselves and leaping into a passing tractor pre 2004 in the UK.

Yes it is, you seem to have the memory of a goldfish.

As has been explained several times before on the Brexit thread before the accession of the EE states enabled agricultural workers to come under FoM they came in under the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS).  The big difference being that as the SAWS scheme required them to return home to make their annual application they were excluded from the migration figures. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
2 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Yes it is, you seem to have the memory of a goldfish.

As has been explained several times before on the Brexit thread before the accession of the EE states enabled agricultural workers to come under FoM they came in under the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS).  The big difference being that as the SAWS scheme required them to return home to make their annual application they were excluded from the migration figures. 

And lots of British worked doing this as well. Or do you just want to conveniently forget another fact that doesn't fit in with your EU obsession ? 

We don't need EE to get our fruit picked. We have chosen to do that to drive down pay. If you think that's fantastic then that's your opinion. Many of us think it's not. 

HOLA4411

I remember a time when fruit picking was a chance to travel and spend the summer in another country. I don't see how things have changed, unless people aren't going back home.

HOLA4412
9 minutes ago, Reebo said:

I remember a time when fruit picking was a chance to travel and spend the summer in another country. I don't see how things have changed, unless people aren't going back home.

The number of EE who come here to pick fruit and then go home will be tiny.

HOLA4413
12 hours ago, the gardener said:

You missed a trick. Work twice as hard but give most of your haul to a friendly adult and split the pay.

So you are suggesting that I should have handed over a large part of my wages to someone who had done absolutely nothing to earn it apart from being lucky enough to be born before me? Now where have I heard that before?

HOLA4414
28 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

So you are suggesting that I should have handed over a large part of my wages to someone who had done absolutely nothing to earn it apart from being lucky enough to be born before me? Now where have I heard that before?

Given that you we're working like a trojan in a gamed system I'm just suggesting that you would have maximised your gain by working in cahoots with a trusted adult partner to be paid closer to adult rates for picking spuds. Game theory would say that you could negotiate very close to the adult rate by doing this as long as you we're doing it on more than one occasion since the adult would have no incentive to cheat you as then the next day you wouldn't trust him anymore. Of course on the very last day he could keep your wages so that gives a clue as to what share of the gains you could keep for yourself and how much you would have to pay the adult. It would have to be at least equivalent to a full days' additional profit over the period since otherwise he'd steal your wages earlier than the last day. Of course he knows that you also might not cooperate on the last day and thus if he did it for free until the last day then he may get nothing. As such you'd have to give up a percentage of a day's pay each day both to keep trusting each other. Overall you'd both gain from this arrangement.

I think you're just annoyed you didn't think of it at the time.

HOLA4415
6 hours ago, ccc said:

And lots of British worked doing this as well. Or do you just want to conveniently forget another fact that doesn't fit in with your EU obsession ? 

We don't need EE to get our fruit picked. We have chosen to do that to drive down pay. If you think that's fantastic then that's your opinion. Many of us think it's not. 

And lots of British still do.

Of course would could pay more to have the fruit picked, prices will go up buts that no problem as we will all just buy imported fruit etc.

NB I think the fact that you think RT provides information is a pretty good indicator of who is the obsessive. 

HOLA4416
10 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

And lots of British still do.

Of course would could pay more to have the fruit picked, prices will go up buts that no problem as we will all just buy imported fruit etc.

NB I think the fact that you think RT provides information is a pretty good indicator of who is the obsessive. 

What ? 

RT is a news station. It provides information. Some of it dubious and biased no doubt - but that goes for every single information provider on the planet.

So what's your point ? I really don't get it ? I'm obsessive about what exactly ? And what exactly has this got to do with occasionally watching RT for a different viewpoint on world events ? 

I think you need a break from this thread. I'm being serious - you sound like your going a wee bit doolaly. 

HOLA4417
46 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Given that you we're working like a trojan in a gamed system I'm just suggesting that you would have maximised your gain by working in cahoots with a trusted adult partner to be paid closer to adult rates for picking spuds. Game theory would say that you could negotiate very close to the adult rate by doing this as long as you we're doing it on more than one occasion since the adult would have no incentive to cheat you as then the next day you wouldn't trust him anymore. Of course on the very last day he could keep your wages so that gives a clue as to what share of the gains you could keep for yourself and how much you would have to pay the adult. It would have to be at least equivalent to a full days' additional profit over the period since otherwise he'd steal your wages earlier than the last day. Of course he knows that you also might not cooperate on the last day and thus if he did it for free until the last day then he may get nothing. As such you'd have to give up a percentage of a day's pay each day both to keep trusting each other. Overall you'd both gain from this arrangement.

I think you're just annoyed you didn't think of it at the time.

Correct - one for the 'things I wish I'd known' thread :)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, ccc said:

What ? 

RT is a news station. It provides information. Some of it dubious and biased no doubt - but that goes for every single information provider on the planet.

So what's your point ? I really don't get it ? I'm obsessive about what exactly ? And what exactly has this got to do with occasionally watching RT for a different viewpoint on world events ? 

I think you need a break from this thread. I'm being serious - you sound like your going a wee bit doolaly. 

To see doolaly, I think you need to look in a mirror.

Doolaly is believing RT is a news station. it's not it's a propaganda arm of an extremely unpleasant state - one where journalists who try to investigate its wrongdoings have an unfortunate tendency for serious/fatal accidents, and murdered a dissident in London.      

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Just now, ccc said:

Official numbers will be impossible to know. But I'd bet every penny I have the above is not true. 

I didn't claim to know the exact numbers but I do know most go home.

I know this because for a time I was responsible for monitoring the SAWS scheme when I worked at the Home Office. 

Despite absolutely no checks or enforcement activity being carried out, a random sampling exercise showed that over 90% went back home each year. The reason they did this is that they are an itinerant workforce that follows the work around and are provided with accommodation as part of the job. Most get 6 to 7 months a year tops and go back home for the winter simply to save their very hard earned money.    

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 hour ago, canbuywontbuy said:

You have absolutely no idea if that is true or not, and simply made that up.  That is all.

And the use of a random unverified saws scheme 'survey' is pretty pointless anyhow as the EE here today doing this work have no need to be on it !!

The use of how many went home then compared to now is completely useless.

Two completely different things. 

HOLA4425

6 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I didn't claim to know the exact numbers but I do know most go home.

I know this because for a time I was responsible for monitoring the SAWS scheme when I worked at the Home Office. 

Despite absolutely no checks or enforcement activity being carried out, a random sampling exercise showed that over 90% went back home each year. The reason they did this is that they are an itinerant workforce that follows the work around and are provided with accommodation as part of the job. Most get 6 to 7 months a year tops and go back home for the winter simply to save their very hard earned money.    

I've linked to this before, and I will link to it again:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/city-eye-facts-on-a-plate-our-population-is-at-least-77-million-5328454.html

It is the statistic that dare not speak its name, though eventually it must. It has huge ramifications for the civil and political life of this country, the health of the equity markets and, most immediately, the residential property market. So don't forget you read it here first: the population of the UK is presently somewhere between 77 and 80 million.

The 2001 census, already hopelessly out of date and easy to avoid for those who find filling in forms a trifle inelegant, numbered us at a little under 59 million. But as statistics go, that one's most definitely a damned lie.

My sources for the above statement are good, but scared of admitting the truth for fear of incurring the wrath of Whitehall. It's like the best way of monitoring illegal drug consumption: forget the pious statements from ministers – the foolproof method is to sample our water and the effluent in it. That's easily the best way of monitoring what the nation has been consuming.

Consumption – that's the thing. Based on what we eat, one big supermarket chain reckons there are 80 million people living in the UK. The demand for food is a reliable indicator; as Sir Richard Branson says, you can have all the money in the world but you can only eat onelunch and one dinner.

The supermarket in question was privately lobbying the Competition Commission to let it grow its market share. The argu- ment, reasonably enough, was that the market was far bigger than the regulator realised, so expanding the network was fair.

I have a second, respectable, source. A major, non-commercial agricultural institution reckons there are 77 million of us in the UK. Again, its reckoning is based on what we eat.

And yes, that article is nearly 10 years old!