House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

A dog is for life, until... it isn't.

We took possession of a pointer (puppy) last summer and found him a bit much, he needed a much larger space and our daughters breathing had become a problem, attributed to a pet allergy that antihistamines could not solve.

We paid a small fortune for the dog but we were happy to let a former work colleague of MrsLTS have him at no cost. Her partner is a bankrupt property developer and insisted we take something, so here I am sitting with a case of posh plonk (online price suggests £400-450) not knowing whether to be angry (refusal not accepted as he has a cellar full!!), flog it or drink the stuff. It's Cháteau Léoville Barton Saint-Julian 2006.

Be very careful if you choose to sell it how you do. Such bottles for sale are great identifiers of wealth to burglars. Our hotel has been cased for this on a few occasions - "Do you have bottles of Dom Perignon or Cristal?"  type enquiries.

3 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Her partner is a bankrupt property developer and insisted we take something, so here I am sitting with a case of posh plonk (online price suggests £400-450) not knowing whether to be angry (refusal not accepted as he has a cellar full!!), flog it or drink the stuff. It's Cháteau Léoville Barton Saint-Julian 2006.

Dry January chez moi - post bad for morale.

42 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Just drink it to drown out the sorrow of giving away the thing that offers the most unconditional loyalty and companionship. 

+1, your story made me sad. 

Did you at least try to give away the daughter first?

You can get used dogs for next to nothing! One of my friends does that! It doesn't matter what model or breed they are.

4 minutes ago, BuyToLeech said:

Yeah, but they don't have that new dog smell. 

Maybe that is not required?

1 hour ago, One-percent said:

Just drink it to drown out the sorrow of giving away the thing that offers the most unconditional loyalty and companionship. 

That's settled then. We're going to give the Aldi wine isles a wide birth for at least the next six weeks and crack open the first bottle on Thursday.

We are sorry to see our four legged companion go and it wasn't an easy decision to make and nor were we looking to rehome him, it just happened as he garnered an adoring social media crowd and one lady enquired for the breeders details. 

4 hours ago, Freeholder said:

A classic Bordeaux, I would drink that on any special occasion, such as a Thursday, lovely.

Same here. Not an everyday wine, but certainly good for once a week - great with meat dishes.

I'd get some Chateaubrian in, fry it lightly either side and then serve with asparagus in clarified butter.

Just now, longtomsilver said:

That's settled then. We're going to give the Aldi wine isles a wide birth for at least the next six weeks and crack open the first bottle on Thursday.

We are sorry to see our four legged companion go and it wasn't an easy decision to make and nor were we looking to rehome him, it just happened as he garnered an adoring social media crowd and one lady enquired for the breeders details. 

Six weeks? Lol, it would last me a week!  

Was not having a go at all lts but feel for you and the family.  My four legged shaggy friend brings us a lot of joy and companionship so a sad day for you.  I can understand though as the health of one of you is more important. 

7 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

We took possession of a pointer (puppy) last summer and found him a bit much, he needed a much larger space and our daughters breathing had become a problem, attributed to a pet allergy that antihistamines could not solve.

We paid a small fortune for the dog but we were happy to let a former work colleague of MrsLTS have him at no cost. Her partner is a bankrupt property developer and insisted we take something, so here I am sitting with a case of posh plonk (online price suggests £400-450) not knowing whether to be angry (refusal not accepted as he has a cellar full!!), flog it or drink the stuff. It's Cháteau Léoville Barton Saint-Julian 2006.

So long as the dog has got a better life than you could provide, I fail to see your problem.

14 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Why would you be angry?

3 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Why would you be angry?

Bankrupt. There are so many builders and property developers out there that do this. Not paying your creditors and withholding assets from the receiver IMO is tantamount to theft. Of course it's by and large intentional.